Changes to forum

Look for help topics on Forum related issues here ...
Outback bloke

Changes to forum

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I am contemplating changing the set up with the forums due to spammers. Every day I have to sort through 30+ new users due to spam and it is pissing me off.

What I am thinking of doing is having the board as a subscription only access. I think I can add all current members to the subscribers list with out any charge. All new members would have to pay to join. Cost would be only $1 or $2 so it is just a token thing.

I have a feeling it is going to stop some genuine new usersbut I don't know how many.

It is a PITA to have to do it but unless some one can come up with some thing to stop the spam/mers then there will be no other option.

What I can do is have part of the board, including the tech manual in a subscribers only area. Then just have the open and general forum free to use.

Any suggestions or input?

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 pm

How about a subscription in order to post and make the majority of the forum viewable by guests? That way people can see the content and decide if they want to pay to join the community and at the same time discouraging spammers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Good idea. I don't know if I can do it but I will find out.

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:59 am

That would do the trick I recon even if it was only 5 bucks a one off it would do the trick.

Cheers

Chris

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:32 am

Maybe have a reward for subscribing, like a sticker for the windshield. This might encourage people because they get something for the $5
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:58 am

On the forum where i've been, there is an option that you can have is to have authorisation while being signed up, and you could have a question there "why you want to join" or someone invited them here from this forum. I know its more work for the admin but it'll save time in long term. I do agree about the token, but you'll drive people away if they have to pay hence you'll loose members. - not everyone is able to pay online ie. token etc
Just a thought.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:43 am

Suparoo wrote:Maybe have a reward for subscribing, like a sticker for the windshield. This might encourage people because they get something for the $5
This sounds like a good idea. Along with the guest viewing, paid posting one.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:47 am

I think there are some great suggestion and its goer... besides if it makes your life easier OB then do it.

My only issue is (as it was before) is payment as i do not internet bank thing - maybe this is just a me issue and as i have not been to Bris lately when the time comes i'll attempt to arrage something between yourself and a WA member
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 am

Some forums that use vBulliton have a new user section where the new user has to post 3 times before they can post anywhere else. The thinking behind that is you can weed out the bots and spammers within 3 posts.

Another idea is the registration process. Bots will fill out every form so if you have a selection of forms that real users don't have to fill in you can weed out the Bots like that.

I don't have alot of experience with vBulliton compared to phpBB (which is free btw) but the general processes are the same. My advice would be to spend some time reading up on some forums that deal with vBulliton and maybe even phpBB to get an idea of how to stop the Bots in their tracks before they post.

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 pm

Simply requiring authorization before posting should take care of most of the problems, Storm's idea of having to post 3 times in a newbies area has some merit too.

Happy to help you out setting up any ideas brett. I'll look into whether there's any new stronger Captcha methods etc as well. Although I think some spammers use cheap child labour to sign up to forums anyway, so Captcha can't really stop that.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:35 pm

What about random math questions when registering to get rid of the bots? I'm sure i've seen it somewhere.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:07 pm

I did just notice that our version of VB is way behind the current version. I wonder if there is any thing in the newer versions that would help us out.

It is not the money that is the issue. Surely we should be able to add all already registered members to a subscription service with out doing it individually. The $ value on the subscription is only a token amount that would weed out any spam/bots.

Maybe we could have some thing on the log in - register page where it gives directions as to how to online transfer or some thing like that.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:46 pm

What about the little picture with the jumbled letters.

Just looked it up, CAPTCHA

CAPTCHA - Wikipedia

Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Apparently that CAPTCHA really works. It's on a lot of websites that you have to register, I think if we don't already have that it would be a good idea.
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1221697522[/SIGPIC] Finally Twin TANK!

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:11 pm

CAPTCHA has its limitations. The real issue is bots are small programs because of this they are as smart as the programmer who made them. CAPTCHA is old now and most bots are new to keep in front of net technology. Unfortunately things like this are always a catchup process.

daza

Post by daza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 pm

The "subscribe to post" idea is sounding better and better.
Lets the googlebots index the post but should stop the spammers posting.
And if someone contacted you to try to find alterative payment options then you'd know the're not a bot!
Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:36 pm

daza wrote: And if someone contacted you to try to find alterative payment options then you'd know the're not a bot!
I see Brett's problem as a work load problem. There are plenty of ways to make it so you have to approve a member or the member has to prove them selves but it is no good as all of those require work by a human. If they are emailing asking why, how, what it is just more work.

Having a place where you have to post 3 times or something to prove your human seems great, but you'll get much unwanted content in there from spammers which will require you to go through, ban and delete all that rubbish.

I've been having similar spam problems, I use Simple Machines Forum, and I have stopped all the spam now by making the minimum age at 13yr and the CAPTCHA a more obscure harder one. I'm sure they bots will be reprogrammed soon enough to put in a proper birth date. But for now I'm not spending time every day deleting spam and banning users.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

I saw a good one on the ozliberty sign up page.

It shows 4 photos and you have to pick the one that matches the brief discription

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:33 pm

An idea that some other forums do is when you sign up you enter an email address. Before you can post, a link is sent to that email address that needs to be clicked to complete the registration process.

Im not sure if this weeds out the spamers or not. Someone with a bigger brain than i have would have to look into it.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:42 pm

We currently use both the email link registration and the random image. We are having a lot of trouble with gmail email accounts. I don't know how they do it but they are getting around both.

Return to “Forum Help Area”