IE6 shutting itself down when looking at the forum

Look for help topics on Forum related issues here ...
Fang

IE6 shutting itself down when looking at the forum

Post by Fang » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems to happen randomly. I have a link that goes straight to "New Posts". Haven't had any problem on other sites.

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 pm

i had ie do this to me, got sick of it so i now use firefox

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Fang

Post by Fang » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanks for the replies - I am not interested in Firefox - I had it installed for a month and then made short work of it.

Still interested if anyone else has the same problem with IE6.. thanks.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:23 pm

runing all the current updates? also in some cases a virus scanner can block access and crash it out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

daza

Post by daza » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:37 pm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cooloothin

Post by cooloothin » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:57 pm

offer a reply that answers his question... :D

Fang - i dug deep into my hard drive and fired up IE6 to test your theory but it seemed to work ok for me. I've left the lappy on auto-update for a while, so 4MUFF's note about updates may help if you haven't done so in a bit.

A quick google shows that a lot of vBulletin sites cause IE5 / 6 people issues, but it seems to mainly relate to dodgy plugins that ausubaru doesn't use.

Another suggestion elsewhere was that it could be related to IE's bad understanding of scripting languages could cause it - this install of vBulletin uses a whole swag of javascript. The issue is by no means isolated to vBulletin, all sorts of different sites with a certain unlucky bit of js could do it.

this guy had a problem that sounded slightly different, but somehow i doubt there's anything wrong with the code on this site.

this thread has a swag of info, some of which might do the trick.

My suspicion is javascript, so the thread will help with specifics or it could be solved simply by getting all updates, which might include an update to IE's scripting engine.
RIP: stock '84 Sportswagon 4sp SR (sold after 13 years loyal service, to the wreckers for $100 :( )

'08 79V Forester X 5sp DR + subaxtreme bullbar, sump guard, Yoko geo ATS, kybs & 1inch kings (daily driver and go-anywhere tourer)

Fang

Post by Fang » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks guys - especially to Cooloothin.

I update Windows regularly (but even updates can cause problems :p) I will keep looking into why my machine is doing it - its obviously a local problem to my computer if no one else is having the problem.

I'll continue the hunt - thanks :)

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:00 am

Fang wrote:Thanks for the replies - I am not interested in Firefox - I had it installed for a month and then made short work of it.

Still interested if anyone else has the same problem with IE6.. thanks.
hey,since you brought this up....
as someone who builds firefox from source code and may even contribute something one day, so noticing your disdain of firefox? so just wondering if you could please explain?

(i have a disdain for ie, where do you want me to start?:mrgreen:)
BTW,if you enable automatic updates, doesn't ie6 get upgraded to ie7? cuz thats what is on my machine and i'm sure it started with ie6, so it upgraded to ie7 on the sly?:twisted: - xp pro svcpk 2

Fang

Post by Fang » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:31 am

fredsub wrote:hey,since you brought this up....
as someone who builds firefox from source code and may even contribute something one day, so noticing your disdain of firefox? so just wondering if you could please explain?

(i have a disdain for ie, where do you want me to start?:mrgreen:)
BTW,if you enable automatic updates, doesn't ie6 get upgraded to ie7? cuz thats what is on my machine and i'm sure it started with ie6, so it upgraded to ie7 on the sly?:twisted: - xp pro svcpk 2

LOL I don't want to start a browser war - The purpose of my query was to fix a problem that suddenly came up on my PC. I was never interested in changing browsers.

I am a creature of habit and Firefox just didnt do it for me. I disliked IE7 even more. I know half the world loves tabbed browsing - but I do not. I know you can turn it off but there are other reasons I didnt like IE7 (uncustomisable top button layout!!!).

You can block certain updates coming through in the Windows update site. I don't have automatic updates enabled - I like to see whats being installed so I do it manually. It was pretty rude of Microsoft to force IE7 upon everyone like that through updates.

My dislike of other browsers is simply because I am used to doing things a certain way - nothing more. I have to use IE7 every day for work - doesn't mean I have to love it.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:30 pm

You think???

I installed Opera after reading some website trashing the buggery out of Firefox, and it's apparent failure to work on large numbers of websites....

I am back on Firefox - for the websites I visit, opera failed on many, the only website that firefox doesn't work on for me is http://www.quintrex.com.au and to me that is because their developers don't understand the standards...

Opera also fails on that site, and occasionally IE6!

I do like the speed start page on opera, wish someone would write an add on to do that in ff...

Anyone running FF2 go and get the add on - "Adblock Plus" https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 you'll not regret it

You can individually block any image or flash that loads in a browser, and also load a standard list of known ad servers - no more adds when using the net, and all those ANNOYING avatars that are too big, or too real estatey or NSFW just right click and block!

daza

Post by daza » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:31 pm

You'll find the scripts and stuff that don't work is tack on that do not exist in the HTML standards.
for the websites I visit, opera failed on many
That's the thing though isn't it, you have to use what works with the sites you visit, or change sites...
Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:26 pm

Ben wrote:You think???

I am back on Firefox - for the websites I visit, opera failed on many, the only website that firefox doesn't work on for me is www.quintrex.com.au and to me that is because their developers don't understand the standards...
Which part of that site Ben?
My FF 2.0.0.5 works fine on that site unless there is a specific part that fails to work with FF..........got a link to the part that doesn't work?

P.S. I'm just being curious I'm not out to shoot anybody or any 1 browser.
Peter

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 pm

:P The quintrex site has been updated!

There used to be a curved menu banner and under that some text. Clicking on the menu dropped down behind the text rather than in front of it!

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:09 pm

Ben wrote::P The quintrex site has been updated!

There used to be a curved menu banner and under that some text. Clicking on the menu dropped down behind the text rather than in front of it!
Ok! so all is fine now.
Peter

Return to “Forum Help Area”