Subaru XV 2018 - Metallic Clicking noise when turned off

Look for help topics on Forum related issues here ...
GongSubaru

Subaru XV 2018 - Metallic Clicking noise when turned off

Post by GongSubaru » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:18 pm

My 2018 Subaru XV with around 48 000km has suddenly started making a fairly loud metallic clicking sound when idling and also when switched off. The noise is beyond a normal heat shield cooling down. Sound can be heard 200m down the road.
Mechanics have either advised they can’t hear the noise or state that it’s normal, take my money and send me on my way.
The clicking goes on for 10-15 minutes at at time, in hot or cold weather, day or night and the car at maximum is driven for 5 -10minutes daily to and from work. It has never made this noise before.

Advice on what it could be greatly appreciated or what to advise a mechanic to have a look at to pin point the noise.

I have multiple videos but unsure on how to upload here.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Subaru XV 2018 - Metallic Clicking noise when turned off

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:26 pm

G’day GS,

To upload videos post them on YouTube then drop the video link in here.

The only thing I can think it would be is a starter motor issue. It’s very odd that the noise continues after the car is turned off - and if you can hear it from 200m that’s a fairly decent noise tone worried about!!

Have you taken the XV back to a a Subaru dealership to diagnose? It could be worth a visit to them, probably pricey though! But it could resolve the issue too.

See how you go posting up a video, something might come from one of them ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Forum Help Area”