88 WRX Touring Wagon Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:26 am

WOW now there is a blast from the past. Good to hear that project is on the move again - she's looking good. Oh and i am envious about that read spoiler = very nice find.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:04 am

Ok, a tiny bit of progress (in my opinion anyway).

Managed to get some bits back from my old project, mainly the Genuine Subaru black RX steering wheel with the cruise control buttons

Also have plans to get a "spider manifold" type EA82T (which has a 2nd throttle cable for the cruise built in)
& a fulltime 4wd gearbox with diff lock. Whether to go dual range or single range is the problem at the moment. With single range, I need to find another centre console cover (which will need painting to match the black interior)
Rear disc brakes are also on the cards, which means I also have to swap back in the sway bar rear end.

All of the door openings have now been painted, and the body panels prepped so they are straight.

I need to made up a new vertical bar for the radiator support so that I can fit the Liberty water-air intercooler in the nose.

Had some vague thoughts able fitting a spare wheel carrier on the rear bumper, because it won't fit in the engine bay anymore (especially as I'd shortened it in the previous incarnation). But I want to use the original bar skin...
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:01 pm

8 years on Wagonist, how's the build (still?) going?

I'm hoping you've managed to chip away at it or put it into hibernation at the very least!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:35 pm

haha. I actually bought the shell back in 04, so it's now 14 years... It sits in my carport out of the weather.

WRX running gear is gone. Swapped it with a mate for a spider manifold EA82. He's been trying to sell it as the project he was going to use it for got sold. So now he's been trying to sell that stuff with no luck.
It might end up back in the car yet.

I bought an import GT/ii turbo touring wagon which has the 4EAT. Was originally going to use it as parts, but it's managed to clean up & I've been trying to get it on the road.
It needs paint & panel work though, the shell just needs paint.
Been toying up swapping everything from the import into this shell and turning the import into an off roader, but will that ruin it?

I know of another GT/ii that has been twin turbo EJ converted and is for sale, but no one wants it...
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 pm

wagonist wrote:haha. I actually bought the shell back in 04, so it's now 14 years... It sits in my carport out of the weather.
In my book that's not a bad thing. I've got a Torana in the same boat, long term view on that project.
wagonist wrote:WRX running gear is gone. Swapped it with a mate for a spider manifold EA82. He's been trying to sell it as the project he was going to use it for got sold. So now he's been trying to sell that stuff with no luck.
It might end up back in the car yet.
Yeah I read about the WRX gear (refresher sesh last night!). It'd be funny if it comes back around like that.
wagonist wrote:I bought an import GT/ii turbo touring wagon which has the 4EAT. Was originally going to use it as parts, but it's managed to clean up & I've been trying to get it on the road.
It needs paint & panel work though, the shell just needs paint.
Ohh, nice. Painting, something I've not got into... yet.

wagonist wrote:Been toying up swapping everything from the import into this shell and turning the import into an off roader, but will that ruin it?
Well it really depends - how much value do you see in the import's equipment it's fitted with? Will this unit be appreciated over a locally delivered L and thus have a higher value?

Or are we in that late 70's/early to mid 80's where no one wanted a Holden or Ford from the 50's or 60's? Then 15ish years down the track BOOM! Market for these models explodes.

Who knows. If your gut says you'll regret offroading the import, don't to it.

Currently there's an L near Newcastle (IIRC) for $1G ono - lift, tyres, bullbar and rear clutch pack LSD. I want it for the rear LSD and that price makes it very appealing. But the distance and my lack of the good stuff is the reason why I can't (and shouldn't) do anything about it... But for someone closer half the work is done for an L offroader. It's an early touring wagon from memory.
wagonist wrote:I know of another GT/ii that has been twin turbo EJ converted and is for sale, but no one wants it...
And that's the other issue with modifying the import - resale seems to be a bitch on converted vehicles. I've seen a number of "WRX'd" Libertys for sale, they run well etc - and their sale price/value isn't significantly more than a factory NA. Plus you don't know what gremlins you may be buying either.

But that GT2 is very cool :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm

The GT/ii I bought was for sale for a long time. It was nearly 8 months between when I first inspected it to picking it up.
It's missing it's original JDM compliance tag (PITA) which doesn't help. The interior is pretty tired and needs work.
Wondering which would have more value. The original grey interior (not available in Aus) or the modified series 1 RX turbo interior I was planning. The RX interior is more of a novelty but means I've got paint the trim black and have somewhat mismatched parts (if you know what you're looking for).
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 am

I haven't seen a compliance plate on any JDM pre Legacy cars. From memory they only have a little tag on the firewall with the vin number and 2 other info but cannot remember what they were off the top of my head.

Have you got any pics of the interior? I might have some bits lying around
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 pm

yeah, that's the plate that's missing.
I've got complete interiors, just no wagon ever came with a black one, and none of the series 2's were black either. RX turbo in later models (have only seen US versions) are a straight light grey
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
Previous rides:
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Bugger, that makes it harder. Hopefully you can still get year of manufacture off the seat belts?

Yeah, never seen any black interior wagons in Aus and even my old JDM 1990 Turbo L wagon had the grey interior but was very plush.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “My Subi”