Nannadan the time traveller

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
TOONGA
Elder Member

Nannadan the time traveller

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:59 pm

I've been in the process of looking for a reliable Subaru sedan or wagon to ferry the kids around in for a while now. While the kids are quite happy to get in the back of the brumby and hide under the canopy, myself the law and my wife are not.

Behold Nannadan http://i.imgur.com/SbZl2O4.jpg a 1980 sedan that has been living in the hills of Western Australia. Until recently she was driven by an old lady who was the second owner in 36 years.

more photos http://imgur.com/a/vIJeK the interior http://imgur.com/a/gWRIn

How did I found out about this car I was searching gumtree for Subarus and of course cheapest. I wasn't having much luck and I stopped for a while. that afternoon I got a message from Corax which as just a greeting and an ad number.

I looked it up and it was advertised as a front wheel drive auto that had done 172000+ original kilometers. no photos, He was selling it for his mother who could no longer drive.

I asked him for photos and he supplied 3 in the ad a couple of days later and I screamed NOOOOOO!!!!!! out loud, when I checked to see if he had replied to my email.

Shortly after that a Facebook page I'm a member of was awash with photos and people humming and ha-ing about how it would be there's if it was 4WD.

Cut to the chase ... I did ring him but got his home line voicemail repeatedly, I left a message and asked him to call me back. He did and after a lengthy conversation I then rang Corax to organise a lift to Jarrahdale on the edge of Perth.

I rang the seller again and told him I would come up on the 30th to have a look at the car. After an hour and a half journey and some baiting from Subarino about everyone heading to the hills to buy it. I laid eyes on Nannadan.

I did all of the usual checks ... oil, transmission fluid, oil in water check, water in oil check. all good. She did and still does have a lot of red dust everywhere. I got more and more excited where ever I looked.

I started her and my heart sort of sank as while she started and idled, I couldn't hear the engine over the crack in the Y pipe.

When I revved her she belched large clouds of black smoke, not whit or blue but black. I took that as a carby or tuning problem.

We took her for a drive and after a 10 minute drive through the hills of Perth, I bought her drove her home and have spent yesterday and today cleaning and fixing little problems.

While she had had a tune up who ever put the points in only did up one screw, so they had shut and were only just opening and closing. I reset the points and redid the timing, what a difference that made.

The carby was dirty but for it's age in very good condition. The radiator has a small crack in the passenger side header tank I thought I fixed it yesterday but it still leaks so that has to be done again.

I braised the holes in the y pipe up with a copper patch and phos copper welding rod. 36 year old metal doesn't like arc or mig welding and besides all I have for now is an oxy kit.

Once I got the Y pipe back on I started her and had to give her a rev to hear her. Not only is she really quiet now she runs so much better. I have been doing bog laps of Australind just because I can, waving at everyone and smiling like and idiot.

While her acceleration isn't ever going to be fantastic she sits on 100 with out a problem and will do 110 with out a problem but as Nannadan is graceful 100 is fine on the highway. (not in the suburbs)

I forgot to say that I paid $400 dollars for this sexy little gem :) And A big thanks to Corax for driving me to Perth (and putting up with me) and for everything else he did on the day.
TOONGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VPtl2c ... e=youtu.be
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:19 pm

That's an awesome story Jules!!

Glad to hear you've for something on the go so quickly and easily!

Dave's good for a stir! I bet he's baiting you for an EJ conversion :p

Can you do some editing of you original post as its a bit hit and miss with paragraphs and end of sentences - and if you can display photos as well - you know we all love pics!! (Sorry the literacy teacher within is coming out!).

All the best for the new year in your "new" MY mate!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:31 pm

That one looks and sounds in amazing shape for 1980 vintage! And with A/C fitted, from factory? No running though so I guess it must have a problem.

Nice score, for $400 that's great :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:28 pm

It's like a DL with almost all the fruit of a GL. Just needs fast glass!

Seriously, the build sheet must have been an odd one. Base model DL, but with the EA81 instead of EA71, auto instead of manual, AND factory AC. I've only seen a handful of DL's here but they've been EA71's and definitely no AC.

I wonder if it has the wiring for intermittent wipers. I would guess probably not, or otherwise that would be a quick and easy upgrade.

An EJ20T in that would be the ultimate sleeper, especially with the stock wheels!
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:29 pm

There you go Bennie (I think) as well click on the imgur links for the photos ... that way you can click on the photos and view them full size :)

Yeah SB Nannadan is awesome, not sure what is up with the aircon but the window winders work :)

dfoyl Yeah she is an odd beast to say the least, someone may have slipped the EA81 into her a while ago but I'm not arguing :) as for intermittent wipers I was hoping but it didn't happen.

I think and EJ20T would hasten the demise of nannadan I have plans to keep her carbied :)

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:18 am

TOONGA wrote:There you go Bennie
A+ for editing effort mate ;)
TOONGA wrote:I have plans to keep her carbied :)
This doesn't rule out the EJ option with you... :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 am

Nice find .. :)

What's the sticker on the door ?

Go the dash conversion ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am

Bennie see why i didn't post the photos directly to the board :)

That sticker tells you that you need to depress the accelerator pedal slightly when you leave the car unattended. so that the exhaust doesn't overheat and increase the general chance of overheating.

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:18 am

Hmmm... Resize the image? I don't have issues like that.

And that's a weird sticker. I don't quite understand what they're trying to achieve there.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:26 am

Does that mean like when you leave it idling to warm up, with the choke on the revs get higher and higher? Until you bump the throttle and the choke plate(s) open up a little more. Does this car have an electric/auto choke?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Yes it has an auto choke and it will stay on until the engine is warm or until you rev the engine to stop it

TOONGA

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:09 am

Great score Jules! That's similar to how I got my GLF5, cause peeps ummed and arrred that it wasn't 4wd!!
Damn, just yesterday I threw out a perfectly good Y pipe from an '82 wagon (freight $$$ distance would have been a killer though)
Love the red racing stripe too!!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Yeah I'm glad they all ummed and aaarred

I was quite happy to fix the Y pipe myself as it gives me a feeling of pride knowing I can still do it and that it didn't cost me around 100 dollars to get a crack welded up in an exhaust store.

The red stripe makes Nannadan go faster when drive is engaged and the transmission makes the warp noise.

TOONGA

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:29 am

Oops, yeah sorry didn't realise the size of that image ... :/
( made interesting reading the sticker though )
Where did you host them ? as they can be resized ... ;)

Ciao, Bantum ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 am

They are hosted on Imgur, I'm not resizing them as I said before if you click on the images you get the full size image at Imgur.

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Does the gear selector have the option "HD" for Hyper Drive where the "D" usually is? :lol:

I wonder what retro 80's warp noises it makes. And do you see into the future or only into the past about 30 years?? :p

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Does the gear selector have the option "HD" for Hyper Drive where the "D" usually is? :lol:

I wonder what retro 80's warp noises it makes. And do you see into the future or only into the past about 30 years?? :p

Cheers

Bennie
you see everything Bennie Everything :)

TOONGA

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Last weekend I went crazy and pulled the old engine and auto transmission. I'm pretty sure the transmission weighs as much as the motor., it took almost 12 hours to do the whole swap. Mind you at least 2 of those hours were getting the carby to a point where it ran on the motor.

Why? Because I used and L series manifold and carby. What a joy they are to set up without the 1990's emissions rubbish ... not. I set it up like the carby that was on Nannadan, only to have the biggest flat spot followed by a back fire of epic proportions on acceleration or cruising or anything.

What I didn't realise until yesterday after an hour of internet research, is that the main bowl vent and the secondary bowl vent both need restrictor pills, on the lines that come out of them. Now that I have that done the extra power is as good as a weber swap, yet not this is not an over fueled conversion like a weber swap normally is :)

I have pictures but because stupidbucket wants everyone to go pro they are on Imgur. Sadly not as many pictures as I would like but thems the breaks. I'm not resizing them to put them on the board so you will need to follow the link to view them https://imgur.com/a/PoWur

TOONGA

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm

I'd guess the transmission weighs more than a long block. Those steel gears weigh a ton on Subaru boxes.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:06 pm

TOONGA wrote:I'm not resizing them to put them on the board so you will need to follow the link to view them https://imgur.com/a/PoWur
Lazy! The trick is to resize each image before you upload to the host site. Works a treat for me ;)

Fair effort on the swap. What did you do with the different thermostat housing position and hose work to the radiator? Only asking in the event that you have factory PS fitted.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “My Subi”