Lifted Gen 1 GT Legacy

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
legacytt

Lifted Gen 1 GT Legacy

Post by legacytt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:48 pm

I have had this car for nearly 2 years. Purchased with a blown engine and rough paintwork but otherwise original it was a bargain for $1000. I drove it standard for a while but in August 2012 I added the lift etc to make it more practical. It has recently undergone a Gearbox swap to dual range with 1.44:1 reduction from a Forester. Added to this was a DCCD rear housing and associated electronics to lock up the centre. I believe this makes for the most versatile Subaru gearbox. Currently has 16 inch forester rims, Outback struts with raised King springs etc so is very versatile off road while still being civilised on road.

A Centre console from an Auto model with the Auto Manual switch removed allows the DCCD dial to be fitted in a factory looking location.

Modified L series rear tyre carrier with Outback towbar fitted behind bumper skin allows for high mount of tow bar tongue.

Engine Bay. Std apart from external coils, resonator delete and VF28 sti turbo. Exhaust is 3 inch straight through.

Front on, Subaextreme bar thanks to Subaman. One of only 4 made apparently.

As the paintwork is very rough I plan to re shell this soon into an immaculate silver shell I picked up for $250. This will also sort the cracked windscreen and faulty rear defrost. At the same time I also have a perfect dark grey shell and a written off RS Turbo that will be merged so I have one low and one high for all occasions. I really like these early liberties, much more so than the newer ones.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:01 pm

Very nice looking rig :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:39 pm

very nice mate. good to hear from you again.

Can you post some pice of how you did your spare tyre carrier? Wouldnt mind doing one for mine.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Looks good mate!

How does it compare offroad to the GenIII? Only asking due to the different rear end setups suspension wise ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

legacytt

Gt Legacy

Post by legacytt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:47 am

The early ones definately have better rear travel compared to the Gen 3 so it keeps the wheel on the ground more often on very rough rocky ground. Plus with a rough body I am not as hesitant when driving it, not the end of the world if the paint get marked.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:27 am

Cool car! I have a Gen1 Legacy GT too, same colour. I've thought of putting in a lift and going low range before but it's done up as a boy-racer at the moment with coilovers etc, and I still have a soft spot for the L series as an offroader.

legacytt

Gt Legacy

Post by legacytt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Yes the L series are a great off road option. I am looking forward to having a road specific Liberty RS soon, they handle well and are a lot of fun.

Return to “My Subi”