Subaru 91 L series Sports Wagon

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Jaydenb456

Subaru 91 L series Sports Wagon

Post by Jaydenb456 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

I have a 91 l series Sports wagon, 295,000 K's and still going strong, .....ish.
I'm needing to do a clutch replacement but while im saving for the parts i need to find out if anyone knows the details for it. The main question im having is that i have heard that the whole engine needs to be removed to access the clutch, does anyone know if this is true?

stork955

Post by stork955 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:22 am

G'day, you can do it that way or remove the box instead. Either way has its advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to pull the motor, its a good chance to fix some of those niggly oil leaks at the same time. It's wise to get the flywheel machined while it's apart.

cheers,

Stork

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 am

yeah, it is a personal choice as to whether you like to lift an engine out from above, or get it on stands or a hoist and struggle with a heavy as the engine 4WD box above you, with the usual dirt and crap falling in your eyes, ears, hair, clothing etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 pm

While you're there leave the EA82 on the bench and "just" drop in an EJ :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Maybe give the transmission tunnel a bit of a steam clean 1st?

I know some clutch setups need to have the engine removed, such as east-west front wheel drives. But I cant see why you'd pull an engine on a standard engine-in-front-of-gearbox design. There's so much more to do. IMO much easier to drop the gearbox. Just unbolt the front of the driveshaft, unbolt the bellhousing & slide it back on a trolley jack. This also makes it easy to re-attach the box...slide it forward on the trolley jack, adjusting the height/angle as you go.

Either way, you may need to rotate the engine as you do to align the splines on the input shaft, you can do this with a screw driver on the flywheel teeth.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “My Subi”