Forester XT 03

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
cerebro

Forester XT 03

Post by cerebro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 pm

So, this car is no longer for sale.
I bought it!

I feel very positive about this car.

It's only in need of a timing belt change.
The front pads are low so I've ordered some Bendix 4WD pads, part no. DB1491-4WD
I also need new pedals. I decided to go with some ones from China. I'll let you know how I get on :)

JPM

Post by JPM » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Nice- congrats on the purchase!

Get it up to speed with timing belt, front brakes ect, then start modifying!!!

Regards
Jayd

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't what to do much in the way of mods, but i'm happy with non OEM components.
A few questions that I have for you.
Tyres. Mostly roads, a little towing, light offroading.
Oils. Any oils, lubes, liquids. Coolants etc. If you have an opinion on any of these that make a difference from OEM then I'd like to learn.
Brake Pads. Everyday type.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:34 pm

Very nice....I bet you're happy :cool:

IMO 1st mod for sure should be a sump guard. One hit on the sump is enough to rip out the sump drain plug or damage the oil pickup...result goodbye engine! :(

C r o s s b r e d Performance make a good steel one or SubaXtreme make a fairly average cast alloy one but its airbag compliant (if you're worried about that.

Everyone has an oil they like, I prefer Penrite fully synthetic HPR30.

Most people go for the genuine Subaru coolant so I just followed along lol. Its pretty expensive but everyone says it leaves the engine very clean. If you go for the mix yourself type make sure you use distilled water as tap water has impurities that drastically shorten the life of the coolant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks for the advise, I'll look into sump guards.
HPR30 is 20w60, the manual says 5w30.
I was thinking of going with HPR5 5w40.
I'll go with the crowd with the standard coolant too then ;)
What about brake fluid?

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am

Pleased to be able to tow.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (83.5 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:47 am

Very nice purchase and one you'll be happy with for a long time.

I have a few turbo subies and the best thing is servicing and highly recommend you follow the service manual booklet to the letter. Especially the Upper Cylinder Cleaner, this keeps the engine running to it's optimum. I also recommend you use 98RON fuel, it's a little more expensive but you get more kms per tank full and keeps the engine from being put under undue stress.

Tyres.. well this really depends on what you're going to use the car for. I think the Yokohama Geolander tyres work well.

Oils and lubricating fluids.. really so many on the market that it's personal choice. I use and sell Motul oils/fluids and find they work really good.

Coolant.. Can not stree enough to ONLY use Subaru coolant in the modern Subaru engines. This coolant is designed to withstand wide range of temperature. It has a product in it that keeps the system clean and coats the alloy to reduce the corrosion effect.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

cerebro wrote:Pleased to be able to tow.
Someone does look very pleased :D
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 am

One of the V300 range in the Motul? What viscosity do you run?
I'm in the Blue Mountains, so some cold days each year, nothing extreme :)
My mechanic doesn't have a fully synthetic on his shelf, so I'll choose something. I'll prob buy a few oil filters and start to do alternate oil changes as a start in getting to know my Suby.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am

cerebro wrote: HPR30 is 20w60, the manual says 5w30.
I was thinking of going with HPR5 5w40.
I thought it was 10W40 with an additive that equates to 10W50...If your manual says 5W30 then HPR5 sounds good. As RSR says there's a few good oils out there.

Also check out OzFoz.com they have lots of XTs running some oil I cant remember the name of.
RSR 555 wrote:highly recommend you follow the service manual booklet to the letter. Especially the Upper Cylinder Cleaner, this keeps the engine running to it's optimum.

+1

Its quite an experience...if you can set up a video for the plumes of smoke esp the 1st time :D

Also, you may need to use 2 or 3 cans initially.
Coolant.. Can not stree enough to ONLY use Subaru coolant in the modern Subaru engines. This coolant is designed to withstand wide range of temperature. It has a product in it that keeps the system clean and coats the alloy to reduce the corrosion effect.
Didnt know that about the additive but everyone says to use it. Bloody expensive though, although you only have to replace it every 3yrs..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:43 am

I use the 4100 Turbolight in most of my turbo cars
http://www.motul.com/au/en/products/27? ... ange%5D=25

But in the 22B I use 8100 Xcess
http://www.motul.com/au/en/products/52? ... ange%5D=25

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks NachaLuva for the OzFoz suggestion, I hadn't seen them. You threw me towards an ongoing debate it seems :) Some liking a thicker semi synthetic oil, along with oil changes under 7500km: Others prefering the full synthetics and lighter viscosity :) Debate is a great way to learn.

cerebro

Post by cerebro » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Only a few more purchases needed before my XT heads to my mechanic for the first time. I still need to buy some oil. The Gulf Western Rep hasn't been returning my emails, so I'll go with Penrite HPR5 for this first change. So far I've bought
Bendix 4WD Front Brake Pads, Oil Filters, New Pedals, a Bluetooth Kit, and I've bid on some tyres on Ebay.

Return to “My Subi”