Tom's Brumby: Lil Emma

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
T.Farm.Brumby

Tom's Brumby: Lil Emma

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey all, not exactly new to the forums, been around for about a year sifting through threads for info and help, but never really contributed. Decided to start sharing :) Pictures below!

Have had my Brumby (Emma) going on 2 years now, was my sister's car before me for her to bash around in on her P's, Dad's before that as a farm truck, so it's been around for maybe 5 or 6 years now with us.

It's an '89 base model, Beigey type colour that just seems to fit them so well, stock as a rock when we bought it, cost an even grand with 7 months rego on it.
Bought in Barcaldine (central Qld.) so the only rust on her was surface on the tray.

Since then, no one in my family looked after it and it was serviced (by Midas, not too happy) ONCE in the 4 years before I got it. I like to think I saved it haha

Condition I got her in, couldn't find any pictures of her back then other than this time I showed up a guy in a mustang

How I solder, home-grown auto elec

The condition the CV was in when I got it, which is how I how I found you mob

Sound system, hard work courtesy of my cousin + a carton of grog

Today's work, swapping spline from the hub (kept the vented rotor though) to one that isn't chewed out like a sonofoabitch.
So this is the most recent picture I suppose

No REAL cosmetic work done to her since I got it so there's no real difference, will have more pictures soon of the back end.

So far, what I have done to it:

- K&N air filter
- Raised w/ nut and torsion bar adjustment
- 2 1/4" cat-back w/ sports muffler and 3" dump (ricer spec but oh well, love the note) and cat replaced w/ high flow (all done at ROB BLISS custom exhausts, do amazing work here in Brisbane)
- Roll bar out of my uncles Sierra cut/welded to fit
- Spare wheel mount fitted to back of the cab
- Bullbar (came with it) sprayed on the back to reduce that damn headlight glare
- 175W (I THINK) Narva spotties mounted to a home-made plate across the bullbar
- Brand spankin' Pioneer/Alpine sound system, 830W amp running a set of Alpine Type S 6x9"s and a set of Pioneer 6"s, Pioneer head unit also running a set of high end 6" Pioneers for treble
- Replaced the worn out seats w/ almost equally worn out Rodeo buckets

Things to be done when I have the time/money:

- 2" lift (in motion)
- 27" Muddies or All-terrains (have 14" sunnies, just need tyres but that's in motion)
- Toolbox (already have) mounted to tray for weight and storage
- Headers (little point for the cost but an EJ conversion doesn't look likely in the near future)
- Lockable jerry mount
- Mazda 929 (most likely) buckets, or maybe WRX
- Diff bash plate and LSD
- Electronic dizzy, MSD coil
- Weber if I can source one cheap

Long ass list :/ getting expensive too.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. Will keep updating and posting pictures as I keep working at her. I'm sure the "to-do" list will just keep getting longer.

Sorry for the essay ;)

Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm

That to do list will always gets longer. Sounds awesome though and it makes me think about all the things more that my Brum needs.
T.Farm.Brumby wrote: ...
- Lockable jerry mount
As for these, I have some of them in my utes tray. If you go through my utes thread you'll see how simply these install. :)

Only one thing missing...

PHOTOS! :D
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 pm

60766244 wrote: ...

Only one thing missing...

PHOTOS! :D

Working on it right now mate! :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Kustomchris

Post by Kustomchris » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Sounds like a fun project

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Sounds cool mate, can't wait to see what it looks like.
Cheers Jake

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Righto, here's some "pichers"

Condition I got her in, couldn't find any pictures of her then other than this time I showed up a guy in a mustang :p

How I solder, home-grown auto elec

The condition the CV was in when I got it, which is how I how I found you mob

Sound system, hard work courtesy of my cousin + a carton of grog

Today's work, swapping spline from the hub (kept the vented rotor though) to one that isn't chewed out like a sonofoabitch.
So this is the most recent picture I suppose

No REAL cosmetic work done to her since I got it so there's no real difference, will have more pictures soon of the back end.

Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Can anyone else see the pictures on the forum itself? This is giving me the shits >.<
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Make an Imageshack account, upload photos onto that.

Use the photo links they provide and put the url between these:

IMG] PHOTO URL HERE /IMG]

(just include the other square brackets to complete the code: [)

Works like a charm. :)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 pm

60766244 wrote:Make an Imageshack account, upload photos onto that.

Use the photo links they provide and put the url between these:

IMG] PHOTO URL HERE /IMG]

(just include the other square brackets to complete the code: [)

Works like a charm. :)
Done like a dinner!
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Done like a dinner!
She looks purdy.

I may be biased though. ;)

That sound system looks a lot like my setup! I chuckled at the expedient speaker stand. Very nice.

Really like that bar up front. The underbars are a nice touch.

Looking forward to more piccies. :)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Yeah, I had to shift the number plate onto the front of the bar there because I nearly got defected for the bar covering it a bit.
Also had to weld a plate across the front because the spotlights were too deep for the stock brackets.

Damn right she's purdy haha, dings in every panel though :( all in good time.

The stand was a pain, fell over once and I had to re-solder the lot. I'm pretty rough with just about every job I do, but I build to last :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Image
Neat looking brumby. One tip though - I WOULD NOT be using the front bar as a suitable jack stand area - these bars are held on by 4 bolts. Best place is to place your stands are either on the chassis rails or on the engine crossmember - even then I find the engine crossmember doesn't have a very wide foot print for great stability.

I'm sure if you put enough work into this it'll come up great - even if you have to learn along the way!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Neat looking brumby. One tip though - I WOULD NOT be using the front bar as a suitable jack stand area - these bars are held on by 4 bolts. Best place is to place your stands are either on the chassis rails or on the engine crossmember - even then I find the engine crossmember doesn't have a very wide foot print for great stability.

I'm sure if you put enough work into this it'll come up great - even if you have to learn along the way!

Cheers

Bennie

Ah righto, used to working on a Landcruiser with a bar you can just about lift the car clean off the ground with, I'll remember this :) can do without a car falling on me, not great for life expectancy.

Have been learning a lot, and it outside of the mechanical stuff it does need a lot of work, but I haven't a single intention of getting rid of her so it'll all come in time :D

Pictures of the tray will be up soonish, might put the toolbox in before anything else (did something cheeky with that too ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 am

Hey looks pretty good there, well worth fixing up. Got a nice straight tailgate too, the rarest of all options on a farmers Brumby. It's funny to see ya stereo install, when I was your age it was the first thing I would do to a car, now I just want to keep it all original. Go the pumping tunes!

Cheers Jake

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am

Rodeo4jake wrote:Hey looks pretty good there, well worth fixing up. Got a nice straight tailgate too, the rarest of all options on a farmers Brumby. It's funny to see ya stereo install, when I was your age it was the first thing I would do to a car, now I just want to keep it all original. Go the pumping tunes!

Cheers Jake

Thanks!

Sound system is only 2 months old or so, wasn't concerned in the slightest about it for the past year and a half, old stock Clarions and a 3rd hand Pioneer H/U were all I needed, but then the head unit shat itself :/ replaced the lot.

Tailgate is DEFINITELY not straight though by the way, will have a picture of that as well soon :(

Engine only had 140k on it when we bought it, all easy k's too, so I started planning from then on, always wanted to do a car up and I figured there was no better option than a little Subi ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

Righto, so this is the tray as she stands today, will be putting jerry can mounts on either side of the spare wheel when I get them, cheers to 60766244 for the idea :D

Spare wheel mount isn't as good as I'd like, just a length of threaded rod through the back of the cab :/ will upgrade soon as well.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Okay, little update for the past week or so.

One of the old man's mates has informed me that I may be inheriting this little beast later on this year all things going well ;)

I'm keen as a shaved chilli bean to frankenstein this one a bit :twisted: since it isn't going to cost me a cent and I wouldn't mind getting a bit more hands on experience before I start molesting Emma

It's a '90 GL model if I'm not mistaken, all straight panels but the odd bit of rust here and there, but it's not worrying me so much since he had it patched to get it registered a while ago.

And also another first for me, I took a load of crap from the shed to the dump

and... didn't come back with anything!
Bit of a let down, but oh well, next time.

Also did some wheeling and dealing, should be getting the spare parts off another wreck in the next week (again, all things being well) for those people who know who they are. Cross your fingers

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Cheers. :)

Not sure those Jerrycans will fit with that sweet looking bar in the back there. I like the spare wheel mount position, though I think my holder design is a little more fussy than that one. :P Just waiting to Rhino-Line the back before I put it in the back. (Matching brumby's!) :p

Is that the ute you pulled some parts off for me? Looks pretty tidy for running about.

Times like this makes me think we should have a Brumby rally someday :cool:

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 pm

60766244 wrote: Not sure those Jerrycans will fit with that sweet looking bar in the back there. I like the spare wheel mount position, though I think my holder design is a little more fussy than that one. :P Just waiting to Rhino-Line the back before I put it in the back. (Matching brumby's!) :p

The "sweet looking" bar is a Sierra mod hahah, it fits perfectly though so I don't care.
The mounts I found will fit in there at the moment, between the bar and the spare, measured it up already. But with the 27"/8.5" (soon) they won't :( so I'm tossing up what to do about that.

And yeah, I saw your design. It actually looks ridiculously good! I will probably make one in the next couple of months out of the hub I just replaced and some cut and welded 2" box, keen! It will be lockable too, not like the old "threaded rod through the cab and chuck a locknut on it hoping no one steals it" trick :p
60766244 wrote: Is that the ute you pulled some parts off for me? Looks pretty tidy for running about.
Nope, completely different :p got Brumbies for days!
Got a couple pictures of that aerial for you half an hour or so ago by the way, I'll email them through in a bit.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Yeah so I bought this on the weekend...

Came with the matching diff plus the tail shaft, top mount bush for the diff is worn but diff itself is fine.

$80. Good running order. Missing linkages though but oh well. Pretty happy :D

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Return to “My Subi”