My 1998 Outback

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
RSR 555
Elder Member

My 1998 Outback

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, I thought I might make a new thread about my 1998 Outback (will post pics later). I brought this car from a Panel Beater down south and had him fix the car for me. The plan was to buy a Gen2 Twin Turbo 1/2 cut and make it Dual Range Manual (car was originally Auto) but could never decide on what to use, so yesterday, I get a text from Tristan about a 1985 Liberty?? to suit conversion. I thought nah, not interested, if this person can't get the year right then won't bother with it. Then 8 mins later, I get a text from Guyph about a B4 on Gumtree for $1500, so my eyes lite up. Sure enough, it's the same car Tristan was talking about, then another text from Guyph.. He can buy the car for $1000 today. Well.. guess what happened :p

Has rear damage but a perfect donor for my Outback. I will keep it auto too.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

I've heard the Gen 3 B4's are absolute pigs - turbo system is always failing, the auto is not strng enough and will fail after only 100,000kms, cranks are like chocolate and the beraings wear out too fast.

I will save you a lot of trouble and take it off your hands now before its too late ................................................................................................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm

damn, i wish it was the series 1 shape! Id take quite afew bits off your hands Paul.

Remember that guy looking for B4 bits on the facebook page? Prospective parts buyer perhaps.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:42 pm

So where's the outback??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

keep us informed! (FYI it wasn't me Tristan! if it was me i wouldve taken it! lol)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:21 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:(FYI it wasn't me Tristan! if it was me i wouldve taken it! lol)
Different Tristan AP :p

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 pm

I would have brought it unseen for that price but wifey would have divorced me if I brought another car. So thought I would get Paul in trouble instead of me lol

Cheers Tristan
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 am

niterida wrote:I've heard the Gen 3 B4's are absolute pigs - turbo system is always failing, the auto is not strng enough and will fail after only 100,000kms, cranks are like chocolate and the beraings wear out too fast.

I will save you a lot of trouble and take it off your hands now before its too late ................................................................................................
Yeah?? never seen this happen on my last B4 and this one runs sweet. It's aready done 213,000kms, so I guess the last owner got all those 100,000kms issues fixed :p

Thanks Ken, for thinking of me and your offer to help me out.. I'll give it some thought.. I'll get back to you.. don't call me, I'll call you ;)
Alex wrote:damn, i wish it was the series 1 shape! Id take quite afew bits off your hands Paul.
Convert?
Alex wrote:Remember that guy looking for B4 bits on the facebook page? Prospective parts buyer perhaps.
I'm thinking so, as it's missing that RHF spot light surround.
El_Freddo wrote:So where's the outback??
As stated, pics to follow. The car is still at the storage shed (near the old workshop) and still building the new workshop equipment.
AlpineRaven wrote:keep us informed! (FYI it wasn't me Tristan! if it was me i wouldve taken it! lol)
Will do Tristan
El_Freddo wrote:Different Tristan AP :p
Correct.. it was 90brumby Tristan
90brumby wrote:I would have brought it unseen for that price but wifey would have divorced me if I brought another car. So thought I would get Paul in trouble instead of me lol
Thanks for getting me in the shit, but I'm always in the crap, it's just the depth that varies.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:16 am

RSR 555 wrote:
Convert?

its a different silver to mine, i have more of a goldy silver(and im running the blitzen front bar now anyways :) )
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Return to “My Subi”