Silverbullet's resto: Bodywork

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 am

Proton mouse wrote:I believe it was all part of an 80's secret plan by ASIO (Australian Subaru Intelligence Organisation or aka Another Secret Is Out)
to outfit a fleet of MY's as undercover 4wd surveillance vehicles!!
Mine is still used for that purpose on the beach, lol
Honeycomb is doing her bit too but cancer is going to bring that to an end soon :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry for high-jacking your thread Sam :(
Too right! :eek: Hehe don't worry, it was bound to happen some time ;)

Ok so, big update! Well sorta...a single picture below of a welded rust repair that I did today, one teeny tiny corner of the drivers door at the top where the rubber seal ends at the back. Found it recently and only got round to doing it today. And with that tiny repair, a major milestone has been achieved in the rust repair on this car. Every single rust hole has been fixed, every major dent filled and it is now ready for the paint shop! Well as soon as I get my wheel bearings in that is. I've included a pic of the engine bay, showing I have started re-assembling some bits. I have also put the torsion tube cross member back in at the back.

I had planned to get it painted this month, but some setbacks have made that impossible. I've been in contact with a body shop near me about a month ago and they said they can do it this month or next. So I will ring them up tomorrow and book it in for the first week of July. All going well I plan to drop it off to them on Monday 30th of June. So, two pictures below of the car as it is now, the last pictures in its current state. Next picture will be in the new colour :twisted:

And finally...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Looking good there Sam ... :)

If your going to all the trouble, I'd remove the all door handles, windows & any trims / badges etc. while your at it. Gives a much better finish / end result ... ;)

What colour are you going for ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Oh yeah, should have said the door handles and that rear quarter window are the last things to come out, and those small badges on the fenders I bought last week ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:53 pm

RSR 555 wrote: Yeah Ken (niterida) is closer but don't think he travels that way very often, where as WayneO travels in to Gero quite a bit.
I've only just seen this thread - yeah I am closer but don't ever go that way.
But if you need me to go check them out and get any info or bits then let me know - its only 45kms up the road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:20 am

Silverbullet wrote:Too right! :eek: Hehe don't worry, it was bound to happen some time ;)
Just be thankful your name isn't Julian.. or you'd cop it all the time :p
niterida wrote:I've only just seen this thread - yeah I am closer but don't ever go that way.
But if you need me to go check them out and get any info or bits then let me know - its only 45kms up the road.
Thanks Ken, I'm currently trying to get hold of WayneO but he for some reason has dropped off the planet. I think he's gone walkabout
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:39 pm

I couldn't resist, one last look at the old girl before the big day :p Aplogies for the shaky camera work :rolleyes: I've been rushing around today getting every little job finished off, I had some rain get blown in to the boot after my tarp got blown away, made it all rusty again. Had to move all the junk out of the car and give it a good clean out (it's amazing how much dirt get's into it while it's just sitting here) and a few other odds and ends. You might notice the battery tray and jack holder aren't permanently fixed yet, that is tomorrows job. Other than that she's ready to roll! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

There's a tilt tray coming at 8:30 on Monday morning, let's see if I can sleep at all on Sunday night :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk8EvZJ ... Qi4wbjrNdg
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 am

See you in a few weeks old girl :D

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

David D

Post by David D » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 pm

That is an exciting moment. I bet it will suddenly feel very delicate once it's painted - you'll be scared to go near it incase it gets scratched!

Great work so far by the way, can't wait to see it on the road....

David D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:17 pm

Exciting times!

Will they be doing wheel wells and door jams as well, or is it just an exterior spray job?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

David D wrote:That is an exciting moment. I bet it will suddenly feel very delicate once it's painted - you'll be scared to go near it incase it gets scratched!

Great work so far by the way, can't wait to see it on the road....

David D
Too right, there will be old quilts and foam padding on it at all times, covered in a car cover :rolleyes: Specially when mum dumps her firewood right next to it hehe.

Bennie it will be door jambs, engine bay and all the way up to the window flanges, don't plan on getting the wheel wells done the black rubber undercoating has a certain appeal to me appearance wise ;) There's some minor things they have to do first though, it's not 100% ready to slap the paint on yet.

Exciting all right :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:14 pm

Well here it is folks! The moment we've all been waiting for! :D

The car has been at the body shop for just over a month, took them a while to get onto it because they were snowed under. But it was worth the wait, they have gone to town on it and gone above and beyond what I expected/asked for. It's had 2 thick coats of primer with blocking down inbetween each and guide coat to highlight all the dings (which you can't see without guide coat) They've completely filled every dent and ding which I didn't see and the car is now straight as an arrow and I can say with pride it is 100% rust free. Hopefully I've done enough to keep it that way for some time. They also removed all doors/panels to paint inside them and in every nook and cranny, and they have dug out all the old cracked seam sealer (like in the gutter rails) and put new sealer in, as well as in the doors and hinge areas to keep water out. It has had a few layers of clear and even in the shop where I saw it (not in sunlight) it is just incredible.

I could go on all day about it, I just can't believe it's my car :razz: It's coming home some time next week and I can not wait to get stuck in with the re-assembly.

For those interested, the colour is called "World Rally Blue"

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

outback

Post by outback » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:35 pm

That has come up very nice indeed..
Hope it all goes together well..

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 pm

yes great job , hope it continues to be an outstanding result for you.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:21 pm

World Rally Blue? I thought you were going for the original silver colour?

Looks good anyhow, I'd be stoked to be getting a paint job like that - but will probably never see the day for that as it's out of my price range atm...

Careful in the effort of putting it back together - you don't want to damage that beautiful paint!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Sig pic suitably updated :p

Bennie if I can save up enough to get this done on apprentice wages, anyone can; don't lose hope! :) Also the more you do yourself the less it costs. I think by stripping it down completely myself I probably saved about $3k. Total paint job was $4k so less than I budgeted for. Yes it will be handled with kid gloves from now on; got an old quilt to put over it down one side (the side where people walk down the most) I will tape some plastic over the rear windscreen to stop rain blowing in and it will remain under a car cover at all times when I'm not working on it. And I think this car has spent enough of its life as a silver bullet (Do I need to change my username now???) like the Subie boys in Gympie said blue just fits these cars.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah fair call on the saving bit, unfortunately I've got other priorities for savings, plus no doubt larger overheads.

Not complaining, just saying. I do admire the amount of work you're putting in at your age, something I was never able to complete back then - I either lost motivation or "got busy" or I rather got busy then lost motivation :(

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:35 am

Looking good there .... :like:

You'll have to get some '555 rally stickers for it now ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:50 am

been watching this for some time now, and drooling. The engine with twin carbs is it a true EA81S or std with twin carbs ? Either way, I is curious to its putout, so when i is up and running the new car deserves a dyno run to share the HP and torque with graphic proof !
member since 10january2014 #6191

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:40 am

A few people have already suggested I should put the yellow rally stickers on it and get gold wheels, but I dunno that wasn't really the look I was going for when the car is finished. I think I will keep the paintwork completely un-covered and clean, the vinyl stripes and whatnot that seem to be all the rage today just wouldn't suit it I think.

Nubaru it is a true EA81S with twin carbs and the valves reversed, and larger exhaust outlets. A dyno tune was definitely on the to do list so a power test would be good as well :p Could put some numbers to the EA81S legendary status.

That's still a looong way off yet, but it should be quite straightforward from here just re-assembling stuff.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “My Subi”