Silverbullet's resto: Bodywork

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:21 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Yes.. the left hand wheel goes positive during a left hand turn whilst the right goes negative. The tyre rolls under due to the tyre's profile due to the weight wanting to go straight.
Tyre rolls under, that would mean the top of the wheel leaning outwards while the bottom of the wheel goes inwards? This is positive camber isn't it? \ _ / is positive / _ \ is negative?
RSR 555 wrote: Bugger.. Why didn't you ask me first ??
I haven't ordered anything yet! :o just got a quote from an online supplier.

In other news! I went to U-pull it this morning and picked up a couple of decent fenders/guards, they're just resting on the car at the moment but they make it look more like a car now :rolleyes: Wasn't much else worth taking, still looking for another good bonnet after the wind blew mine over and flattened the center bulge at the front :(

Also I had heaps of stuff lined up to do this weekend; wheel bearings, suspension bushes, front strut top blocks need fabricating...but didn't get a thing done today! The old bushing shells just do not want to come out by cutting so I'm going to have to press them out as well...wheel bearings are too tight to tap in on the bench so they need pressing also...and I got my hands on some re-conditioned Subaru 6 bearing front axles for the Brumby so they're sitting over there tempting me to work on that car, and the new dizzy.

Ah well, the weekend is still young :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Sam, while the topic is hot, those radius rods, castor bars - seen 4WD L300 ones on a Brumby. 4WD may not be correct, definitely Mistu L300. May have adjustment.

The turn in and nearly buckle under angles the MY fronts get, is horrendous. They aren't race cars. And, as the guy selling me his old Brumby 15 years ago reminded me - they are a light truck, not a car.
I used to get perfect wear across my front tyres - no more, its the outer edges copping it :(
One day I may have to cobble up some L Series stuff and see what peeps talked about years ago !

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 am

Silverbullet wrote:Tyre rolls under, that would mean the top of the wheel leaning outwards while the bottom of the wheel goes inwards? This is positive camber isn't it? \ _ / is positive / _ \ is negative?
Yes /_\ is negative but this is how the car would be on a left hand turn \ _\ (these are always the views looking from the rear of the car) This is designed like this to have the car return the steering to centre once you release the steering wheel. This the flanged hub angles, the tyres just rolls under (due to vehicle momentum) but this doesn't change the suspension geometry.
Silverbullet wrote:I haven't ordered anything yet! :o just got a quote from an online supplier.
Yeah no worries Sam.. I was just having a laugh :) If you meet me you know I like to joke a lot. That's why Jules (TOONGA) and I give each other sh!t on here.. we both know we are just taking the piss out of each other ;)
Silverbullet wrote:In other news! I went to U-pull it this morning and picked up a couple of decent fenders/guards, they're just resting on the car at the moment but they make it look more like a car now :rolleyes: Wasn't much else worth taking, still looking for another good bonnet after the wind blew mine over and flattened the center bulge at the front :(

Also I had heaps of stuff lined up to do this weekend; wheel bearings, suspension bushes, front strut top blocks need fabricating...but didn't get a thing done today! The old bushing shells just do not want to come out by cutting so I'm going to have to press them out as well...wheel bearings are too tight to tap in on the bench so they need pressing also...and I got my hands on some re-conditioned Subaru 6 bearing front axles for the Brumby so they're sitting over there tempting me to work on that car, and the new dizzy.

Ah well, the weekend is still young :rolleyes:
I'd be able to help you with a bonnet, will just cost you a trip to WA :) and while you're here, you can work your magic on my hatch :p

For the bushings, try cutting 2 cuts 180deg apart from each other, then pry off with a small chisel. As for the bearings (and bushes for this too) put them in the freezer for a couple of hours, then they should just drop straight in.

Sounds like you've got your weekend booked out.. enjoy
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:01 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Yes /_\ is positive but this is how the car.....
Aaghh hmmmmm.....Paul, I think the rest of the world calls /_\ that negative camber!

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:40 pm

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Yes they do.......personally I think it should be the other way around because it sounds better but back in the old days most cars had \ / positive camber.

As a point of interest I came across 2 silver wagons identical to yours sitting under a tarp and camouflage sheet a week or so ago, unfortunately they are about 400kl north of Perth in Northampton on a little back street, the one I could easily see has had what looks like a light smack in the snout but has an alloy bar and the ?snowflake hotwire style mags, I have the name of the business and street name but can't upload the pics because TELSTRAAAAAAAAAA has messed me around and I'm on dial up speed for another 14 days, I could probably email the 2 pics I have if anyone wants have a look and upload them, just give me a pm.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:23 pm

eMailed the pics to Henpecked so hopefully he can post them here.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Proton mouse wrote:Aaghh hmmmmm.....Paul, I think the rest of the world calls /_\ that negative camber!
Sorry.. yes I wrote that the wrong way around, as you could tell I was in agreement with Sam. I wrote it correctly in an earlier post, so sorry if I confused anyone.. I know this is negative and can't explain why I wrote positive. I know this because I just got my new tyres fitted to the 22B and asked for extra negative camber. I think I wrote it because I was talking about caster earlier on. Will change now ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:02 pm

d_generate wrote:As a point of interest I came across 2 silver wagons identical to yours sitting under a tarp and camouflage sheet a week or so ago, unfortunately they are about 400kl north of Perth in Northampton on a little back street, the one I could easily see has had what looks like a light smack in the snout but has an alloy bar and the ?snowflake hotwire style mags, I have the name of the business and street name but can't upload the pics because TELSTRAAAAAAAAAA has messed me around and I'm on dial up speed for another 14 days, I could probably email the 2 pics I have if anyone wants have a look and upload them, just give me a pm.
You can email to me. I can get WayneO to drop around.. he's only 30mins up the road

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Yeah I figured he would be the closest, or the twin engined Brumby (a little closer) they look like they have been sitting for years but under some cover and shaded by big trees, it's a Bed & Breakfast and they are sitting on the edge of the block, I haven't got your email addy, only skype but downloading to photobucket is a pita so can't post myself.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 am

Sorry for high-jacking your thread Sam :(

Yeah Ken (niterida) is closer but don't think he travels that way very often, where as WayneO travels in to Gero quite a bit.

I've sent you a skype message

Highjack over ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:57 pm

d_generate wrote:eMailed the pics to Henpecked so hopefully he can post them here.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:59 pm

^ Someone doesn't want them noticed!

I hope they don't just rust away!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Trust me, they are on a big block in a very out of the way street and could have been hidden further from the street, I think maybe trying to protect them but a long time ago, the drivers window is 1/4 way down on the side the weather comes from.

Paul has the business name and address which I suppose he'll pass it on to the right person.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:08 am

henpecked wrote:Image

I believe it was all part of an 80's secret plan by ASIO (Australian Subaru Intelligence Organisation or aka Another Secret Is Out)
to outfit a fleet of MY's as undercover 4wd surveillance vehicles!!
Mine is still used for that purpose on the beach, lol

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:04 am

Proton mouse wrote:I believe it was all part of an 80's secret plan by ASIO (Australian Subaru Intelligence Organisation or aka Another Secret Is Out)
to outfit a fleet of MY's as undercover 4wd surveillance vehicles!!
Mine is still used for that purpose on the beach, lol
Honeycomb is doing her bit too but cancer is going to bring that to an end soon :(

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Sorry for high-jacking your thread Sam :(
Too right! :eek: Hehe don't worry, it was bound to happen some time ;)

Ok so, big update! Well sorta...a single picture below of a welded rust repair that I did today, one teeny tiny corner of the drivers door at the top where the rubber seal ends at the back. Found it recently and only got round to doing it today. And with that tiny repair, a major milestone has been achieved in the rust repair on this car. Every single rust hole has been fixed, every major dent filled and it is now ready for the paint shop! Well as soon as I get my wheel bearings in that is. I've included a pic of the engine bay, showing I have started re-assembling some bits. I have also put the torsion tube cross member back in at the back.

I had planned to get it painted this month, but some setbacks have made that impossible. I've been in contact with a body shop near me about a month ago and they said they can do it this month or next. So I will ring them up tomorrow and book it in for the first week of July. All going well I plan to drop it off to them on Monday 30th of June. So, two pictures below of the car as it is now, the last pictures in its current state. Next picture will be in the new colour :twisted:

And finally...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Looking good there Sam ... :)

If your going to all the trouble, I'd remove the all door handles, windows & any trims / badges etc. while your at it. Gives a much better finish / end result ... ;)

What colour are you going for ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 pm

Oh yeah, should have said the door handles and that rear quarter window are the last things to come out, and those small badges on the fenders I bought last week ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:53 pm

RSR 555 wrote: Yeah Ken (niterida) is closer but don't think he travels that way very often, where as WayneO travels in to Gero quite a bit.
I've only just seen this thread - yeah I am closer but don't ever go that way.
But if you need me to go check them out and get any info or bits then let me know - its only 45kms up the road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”