Silverbullet's resto: Bodywork

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:13 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything in this topic, but some very exciting and rare parts (thankyou TOONGA!!!) came to me via courier this week that don't fit into interior or engine related topics...

Can anyone guess what this is? :mrgreen:

That rad support is in the way, I guess for cars with the center light optioned (US and JDM cars) the center rad support was omitted.

It unbolts at the bottom, but the top needs to be cut with a grinder. Amazingly, the 4 holes up top needed to mount this thing already exist in my front panel, and they are already the perfect size for my favorite - M6 rivnuts :)

Mounted up a treat, looks the bomb. Now I just need to work out the wiring side of things!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm

It's alive! :D Not wired in properly yet, just putting power to some of the wires in the plug. It's going to take me a while to figure out the little control box that is supposed to control this thing. A little black box with 2 change over relays inside, and a little circuit board with a couple of resistors, diodes, capacitors and a transistor. So the control of this light isn't as simple as I thought. And being such a quirky unique option from 30+ years ago I can't find a circuit diagram anywhere. I know it gets its power from piggy back-ing off the lighting switch plug under the dash originally, but what happens between there and the engine bay control box is not clear. Not to fear! I will work it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhzFnj ... e=youtu.be
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Awsome ... Ciclops light ... :)

Don't forget the other bits that go to make up the Power window Curicuit ...

Looks nearly finished now - How much more to go ?

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:45 pm

Oddly enough that wouldn't pass road worthy over here - you need to have an even number of lights which to me is ridiculous!

Looks good though mate, very different.

Will you have it ready for the 50th anniversary of Subaru meet in April??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:38 pm

With the advent of led light bars the law has changed (at least in SA). You can now have 1 and 3 combination of driving lights as well as 2and 4 combinations.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:34 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Oddly enough that wouldn't pass road worthy over here - you need to have an even number of lights which to me is ridiculous!

Looks good though mate, very different.

Will you have it ready for the 50th anniversary of Subaru meet in April??

Cheers

Bennie
That's a bit silly about the roadworthy thing, over here the 3rd light may be fine but we aren't allowed to put EJ's in our older Subies! But we don't have regular roadworthy inspections either, so you can get away with it ;) Tell me more about this meet in April, where is it? is it an official event organized by Subaru? I'd love to go to something like that, god willing the car will be done by then but it's not far away! I've been telling people it will definitely be on the road by its 35th birthday (August :rolleyes:)

Update on this little system: the control box with 2 relays doesn't seem to do its job properly, one of the relays is dead. I'm confident I can put a new one in its place, PCB mount. For now I jerry rigged another larger changeover relay onto the old ones solder pads with jumper wires which did the job of getting a relay working. But now I just can't work out which wires get power and when. There's only 2 going into the control box, I figured they were + and - but with that I can only get the motor running continuously or the light on without the motor, more work required!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:28 am

No regular inspections over here, that's NSW.

There's a facebook page apparently and a few other forum members know about it. I don't know the dates etc but would be keen to roll over for it if it fits with school term dates...

As for the wiring, are there wires cut from the box? Two seems insufficient to give a power signal and get power to the light and motor as well... Got pics?

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:45 am

Silverbullet wrote: Mounted up a treat, looks the bomb. Now I just need to work out the wiring side of things!
Sam that looks a treat in place there. I'm glad you will get to use it.

I had grand plans for it but my new brumby is Quad light and I didn't want to go hacking up a piece of Subaru history to get it to fit between the lights.

I have this stuff from USMB there was a PDF that went with it but the link is dead now.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... elaytimer/

I hope the diagrams work for you

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:12 am

It would be COOL :cool: to see this third eye work on arm /disarm of central locking when dark :)
member since 10january2014 #6191

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:44 am

Jules, those pics are absolute GOLD! :D Thankyou very much, they will be a massive help, I was looking for those files on USMB too and alas all the links were from 10+ years ago and long dead. I like factory wiring diagrams, and it even has the internal circuit schematic for that control board too. Awesome stuff.

Bennie, pics below. There are only 2 wires coming in and they have their own 2 pin plug, wires soldered to the bottom of the board. The 6 output terminals all go to the motor/light plug and comprise of - for motor and light, + for light, + for motor, and the 3 left are little contacts in the gear box that open and close depending on where the door is in its cycle, a bit like a wiper motor self park function. With the above diagrams I'm sure it will be easy now to work out.

Nubaru, that is a feature well worth considering :mrgreen:

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 am

The back of that PCB is toast sorry Sam. I can see 2 sections where the copper has lifted from the board and is cooked.

It can be bypassed (solder a connecting wire from one terminal to the other) but it would be easier to make a new PCB or wire up your own relays and switch.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:03 am

Jules, I know :( I noticed all that soon as I pulled the cover off. These photos were for my reference so I could draw it up on the PC and map out the circuit + components, but your pictures have saved me from doing that. Besides that, one of the little relays on the board was dead and the larger capacitor was puffed up and not capacitating any more :rolleyes: I did solder jumper wires to bypass the broken tracks, and removed the dead relay, piggy backed a modern relay onto the backside solder pads. And as luck would have it, we just happened to have a cheap 240v - 12v LED supply transformer blow up last week, which amazingly had the required cap to replace my dead one which I promptly pilfered :rolleyes: This was all just to get it working for now, I'm thinking I can put a new PCB mount relay back on the board and keep my insulated jumper wires in place, otherwise make a new board from scratch.

Turns out the 2 wires going to the underside of the PCB are constant 12v, and a 12v supply when you press the button. The ground is through one of the 6 pins. So some fiddling about and one butchered little PCB later I have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_0ZQab ... e=youtu.be
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Nice mate! That paint looks tops in the video!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

All is well now :) Got down to Jaycar this arvo and got the closest relay I could find to the original, it didn't drop straight in but I made it work in the end. The other capacitor was looking quite swelled as well so for 40c I replaced it with a new one. I put some permanent jumpers neatly around the place to bypass the broken tracks and covered the whole underside in liquid electrical tape. It works well and the new relay is doing its job nicely, so I think I will leave it like this until it dies then make a new board. Now just have to find somewhere to bolt the little control box and integrate the wiring into my loom.

New relay in place, works well

And one last pic because I love this light so much :p Thought to myself, with the grille in place and the bonnet down the front end is looking scarily like a finished car. Just have to work out what I'm doing for a bumper bar, I'm thinking the single loop nudge bar style but can't find any decent reference pics.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:06 pm

I have a nudge bar if you want one -but its not the whole bumper

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 pm

henpecked wrote:I have a nudge bar if you want one -but its not the whole bumper
Got any pics? steel or ally? I wouldn't be too bothered about not the whole bumper, I was planning on making one from scratch anyway.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Today I finalized everything on the 3rd eye install, which meant fishing more wires around under the dash, wiring up another relay under the bonnet and finding a home for the control box (no idea where it is supposed to go originally)

Happy to say everything worked out tip top and I now have a fully working 3rd eye of enlightenment on my wagon. It can be turned on any time regardless of main headlights, but turns off automatically when you turn the engine off :cool:

Here's where the control box now lives; I made a new shorter harness to connect the light assembly to the box and wrapped it in loom tape. Because of this location, I'm thinking I'll take some extra measures to stop moisture getting into it, and any coolant that might get carelessly splashed around when filling the rad.

And a quick demo, not that you can see much from this angle but just to show the button works :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peAmolZ ... e=youtu.be
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:48 pm

has SA upgraded its rules to some level of sensibility re light bars etc ? Lights at the front in the past had to be in pairs. Some states now allow single light bars. And yu need to have your work of art inspected yet uhuh?
member since 10january2014 #6191

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Finally the last pieces of window glass went in today :-)

There was no interest from others regarding getting a few rear quarter window seals made up, so as a test the guy who was going to make them for me did what he could without making custom molds. Which was pretty much one continuous piece of straight rubber with the ends cut at an angle and glued together for the top front corner. For the opposite corner which was the troublesome area, the straight piece of rubber was just bent round the corner. Luckily the bend was long and round enough that the rubber could take it and still look half decent. I will be putting silastic/sikaflex type stuff behind it to stop any potential leaks from occurring.

The install was much easier than I was expecting. With two people and a piece of paracord inside the inner lip to pull through, both windows went in quite easily. Really happy with the results :-)

Comparison pics below of the NOS rubber seal I had with the proper fit and the other side with the straight piece bent round the corner. Once the trim is installed it is barely noticeable.

Attachments
20161003_130122.jpg
20161003_130122.jpg (106.23 KiB) Viewed 22035 times
20161003_122429.jpg
20161003_122429.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 22035 times
20161003_130130.jpg
20161003_130130.jpg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 22035 times
20161003_122510.jpg
20161003_122510.jpg (102.97 KiB) Viewed 22036 times
20161003_114828.jpg
20161003_114828.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 22036 times
Will it ever end!?