60766244's AWD Brumby w/ EA22 conversion

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.

Update on the studdering issue!

Post by 60766244 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 pm

I spent some more time researching and the theorized pressurizing fuel tank issue seems to be commonish among convertors... Enough to get mentioned on the interwebz anyways.

A common lay-mans fix seemed to be the tiny hole drilled in the fuel filler cap.

So, since fuel caps aren't worth much and it's a 2 minute fix, I tried this.

I've been cruising about for 2 days and the issue hasn't re-occurred.

Odd as it's such a ridiculously simple fix.

I'll be taking it for about 3 hours of highway driving tomorrow and the next day so this is the most likely time the issue might occur as during the trip I will encounter both the hill, and roe highway.

Hopefully all will be well and this was much-ado-about-nothing. :)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm wondering if there's more of an issue of the return line - if there's too much pressure in the fuel tank can the factory brumby return line (smaller than intake line) do the job properly?

I had a similar issue with Ruby before I upgraded to an EJ and a larger return line - I've not had an issue since this return line upgrade.

Could be worth looking into as I don't think a hole in the fuel cap is the correct answer.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

So far...

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:39 am

El_Freddo wrote:I'm wondering if there's more of an issue of the return line - if there's too much pressure in the fuel tank can the factory brumby return line (smaller than intake line) do the job properly?

I had a similar issue with Ruby before I upgraded to an EJ and a larger return line - I've not had an issue since this return line upgrade.

Could be worth looking into as I don't think a hole in the fuel cap is the correct answer.

Cheers

Bennie
So far the issue seems to have abated... for now... hopefully... :confused:

Otherwise I think it might be it.

I had no issues with the hill or cruising on the highway hammering along today and tonight...

TOUCHWOOD!

Thanks everyone for the help and critiques. :)

Also,

P.S.
Today I got to drive a wonderful early 1990's Automatic Liberty touring wagon with all the extras - height adjustable suspension, air-con, original tape deck, cruise control, Sport and Econ modes even has a built in Engel in the boot.
Grandma says the little alloy roo-bar and the fridge were factory options... Not 100% on that but seems like a great idea.
It was very comfortable, near silent and unusually fast! - The girlfriend was given it by her Grandma to be her first car since gran never drives anymore.
It's only got 130,000km on it, and garaged it's entire life, rarely driven at all the last 5 years except occasionally on weekends or the odd road-trip.
The interior was completely immaculate. No stains, marks or even wearing. The interior roof lining looked brand new.
Even came with a Hardcover Gregorys manual in the glove-box, with its full log-book history since factory.
It was like going back in time - if it ever goes up for sale I'm in line for it.

An amazing bit of kit all over - It makes me wonder just how many other lovely gems exist out there. :)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Under Australian Design Regulations, your fuel tank must have the air space inside the tank in vacuum. This is for 2 reasons.

1) To stop fuel fumes igniting if involved in an accident.
2) To stop fuel tank from exploding/splitting from over pressurization

You must make sure the vapour lines from your fuel tank are connected to your carbon canister and the vacuum line from your canister is connected to your manifold (in the case of the EJ models, it is via the 'Purge Solenoid').

BTW.. nice Liberty but we need pics
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:10 pm

60766244 wrote:Drums in the rear. Hard to remove as I found today, or, at least a lot harder than the disks! - I greased everything in re-assembly.
Disks are a pipe-dream I want to chase at some point.
It is a nice ute, but compared to your Blue BRZ, wow, that is a pretty car.
Not many modern rear ends look so pretty!
First conversation I've ever had, inter-car at 100kmph!

So, I took some photos today...

Engine interior - cramped, but nice and tidy. Only things amiss is the coolant-bottle overflow tank (read: re-purposed small coolant bottle) and the wiring I haven't finished yet...

Engine bay may look cramped, but that's damn tidy.
I prefer the cramped look to the cavernous bay with the EA in it like mine :/
Cramming an EJ in makes it looks like a muscle car haha
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Under Australian Design Regulations, your fuel tank must have the air space inside the tank in vacuum. This is for 2 reasons.

1) To stop fuel fumes igniting if involved in an accident.
2) To stop fuel tank from exploding/splitting from over pressurization

You must make sure the vapour lines from your fuel tank are connected to your carbon canister and the vacuum line from your canister is connected to your manifold (in the case of the EJ models, it is via the 'Purge Solenoid').

BTW.. nice Liberty but we need pics
I didn't have my camera with me but I'll try take it next time I go to hers.

I'm away for the week working so no chance to work over the Brumby for a while. I am concerned over the fuel system setup (Another negative to buying someones conversion I suppose) so I will get it looked at when I can. Thanks for the info on the legislature.

Post by 60766244 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Engine bay may look cramped, but that's damn tidy.
I prefer the cramped look to the cavernous bay with the EA in it like mine :/
Cramming an EJ in makes it looks like a muscle car haha
Cramped is the main word there. Only 20mm or so between the radiator and the belts.

I wish there were some more space so I could envision fitting an aircon system in there. Maybe I'll work out some way to get it happening eventually. I should take a new photo as a bits changed. :)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 pm

60766244 wrote:Cramped is the main word there. Only 20mm or so between the radiator and the belts.

I wish there were some more space so I could envision fitting an aircon system in there. Maybe I'll work out some way to get it happening eventually. I should take a new photo as a bits changed. :)
Mmm, bit too cosy haha.

I'd legit kill for an aircon in mine, but I just use the old stock 2WD80 system
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 am

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:I'd legit kill for an aircon in mine, but I just use the old stock 2WD80 system
The 4WD80 system works twice as good but I guess you have an issue with that in the Brumby :p
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:33 am

RSR 555 wrote:The 4WD80 system works twice as good but I guess you have an issue with that in the Brumby :p
Yeah hahaha, if I get my L series it'll be all good though :D

The missus hates my aircon but oh well, she can go drive her Mazda bucket :p
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:58 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Yeah hahaha, if I get my L series it'll be all good though :D

The missus hates my aircon but oh well, she can go drive her Mazda bucket :p
Has the aircon been serviced recently? I was under the impression Brumby's had a fairly solid aircon setup.

Speaking of Aircons. (Though not to go off track) Anyone been in a new Ford Ranger? Built for the Pilbara - but forgot to put a real aircon unit in them.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:05 pm

60766244 wrote:Cramped is the main word there. Only 20mm or so between the radiator and the belts.
NOTHING Cramped about that! They all should be like this :twisted:
60766244 wrote:I wish there were some more space so I could envision fitting an aircon system in there.
It'd fit like any other AC system - the only trick is to make a set of adaptor hoses to use the EJ AC pump... Everything else remains where it is in the AC system!

Cheers

Bennie

PS 60766244: I've only been in a Ranger in the snow... They're not real flash up there compared to some other 4wds!

Post by 60766244 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 am

El_Freddo wrote:NOTHING Cramped about that! They all should be like this :twisted:

It'd fit like any other AC system - the only trick is to make a set of adaptor hoses to use the EJ AC pump... Everything else remains where it is in the AC system!

Cheers

Bennie

PS 60766244: I've only been in a Ranger in the snow... They're not real flash up there compared to some other 4wds!
Hehe

Well my Brumby never hair aircon, so I'd need a whole unit setup. the engine still has an aircon pump bolted on it - I'd been thinking about modding it to just be a compressor until I bought one. There's also no 'radiator' for the aircon unit either?... So I'd need one of those. (I think, ot be honest I know sweet fkall about aircons)

Up in the Pilbara now where they're starting to replace the Landbruisers... Just the aircon is so terrible in an otherwise not too bad a machine.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:30 pm

60766244 wrote:Well my Brumby never hair aircon, so I'd need a whole unit setup. the engine still has an aircon pump bolted on it - I'd been thinking about modding it to just be a compressor until I bought one. There's also no 'radiator' for the aircon unit either?... So I'd need one of those. (I think, ot be honest I know sweet fkall about aircons)
That's alright, the condenser (AC "radiator") goes before the radiator for the engine - so there's room in there to fit the AC system ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:01 am

El_Freddo wrote:That's alright, the condenser (AC "radiator") goes before the radiator for the engine - so there's room in there to fit the AC system ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Lovely.

I guess there's another thing to add to the list of wants. (Damnit. :(:p)

Might be a fair while off... Hehe

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am

60766244 wrote:
Then took Brumby for its first tip run in an attempt to clean out that garage some. 8)

Jesus christ, I only just saw this! hahahaha.

If there isn't a truckies hitch in there you're wasting your time, if you can't tie knots tie lots hah!

Also, maybe a bit late, but with your towball/bar, same problem as mine had, nearly got defected for it twice.
Soooo, I took the ball off its little arm, took the arm off, flipped the arm and mounted the ball back on. That sounded a bit more confusing than I hoped but anyway. Basically you still have a tow ball, and tow bar, and its all good, it's just 80-100mm lower I suppose, fully functioning, doesn't cover plates.

I'll post a picture if I can find one :)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

See how the tow ball is mounted on a piece of curved steel shaped somewhat like an 'S'? Flip that mount upside down and mount the ball back on top,

From;
'''''''_O_
__/

To;
__
''''''\_O_

ignore the apostrophes :p
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

purp

Post by purp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Also, maybe a bit late, but with your towball/bar, same problem as mine had, nearly got defected for it twice.
Soooo, I took the ball off its little arm, took the arm off, flipped the arm and mounted the ball back on. That sounded a bit more confusing than I hoped but anyway. Basically you still have a tow ball, and tow bar, and its all good, it's just 80-100mm lower I suppose, fully functioning, doesn't cover plates.
Why would you get defected? Is it illegal for your towball to be two high? Much better departure angle the way it is.

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Jesus christ, I only just saw this! hahahaha.

If there isn't a truckies hitch in there you're wasting your time, if you can't tie knots tie lots hah!

Also, maybe a bit late, but with your towball/bar, same problem as mine had, nearly got defected for it twice.

I'll post a picture if I can find one :)
T.Farm.Brumby wrote:See how the tow ball is mounted on a piece of curved steel shaped somewhat like an 'S'? Flip that mount upside down and mount the ball back on top,

From;
'''''''_O_
__/

To;
__
''''''\_O_

ignore the apostrophes :p
No truckies knots, though there were Butterflies-on-the-bight, Clove-hitches and half hitches. I do know how to tie knots but as this was a bizarrely shaped, very wobbly load and I had to take it onto the highway I went overboard. ;)

I've also already remedied the numberplate issue by now, doing exactly that. I needed a long bit of helpful pipe to crack the nuts under there. They were phenomenally tight.
purp wrote:Why would you get defected? Is it illegal for your towball to be two high? Much better departure angle the way it is.
At the time it was completely blocking the vision of the rear number-plates. Not to do with the actual height per-say. Lowering it simply meant the plate came back into vision. It also tows okay at this height as I've done a fair bit with it since. :)

To show all this I thought I should put up a photo. :)

Brumby on fencepost duty. You can sorta see the flip-job.

The smell of having a driveway! Even if it requires some skilled 4x4 to make it across with a trailer. Very, very boggy.

When I have some money, gravel down! The cable is the one for my phone booster antenna.

purp

Post by purp » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Of course, blocking the number plate can irritate the constabulary. I was focused on the towbar and not thinking laterally.

Return to “My Subi”