60766244's AWD Brumby w/ EA22 conversion

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm

60766244 wrote:No truckies knots, though there were Butterflies-on-the-bight, Clove-hitches and half hitches. I do know how to tie knots but as this was a bizarrely shaped, very wobbly load and I had to take it onto the highway I went overboard. ;)

I've also already remedied the numberplate issue by now, doing exactly that. I needed a long bit of helpful pipe to crack the nuts under there. They were phenomenally tight.

At the time it was completely blocking the vision of the rear number-plates. Not to do with the actual height per-say. Lowering it simply meant the plate came back into vision. It also tows okay at this height as I've done a fair bit with it since. :)
Yeah I had a metre long bit of pipe for mine, they're ridiculous.

Also took a picture to demonstrate in case you didn't understand hahah, but then also to perve on one of the tidiest wagons I've seen, parked next to me in the parking lot of the train station :D

Emma's the one on the left in case you're blind ;)
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Post by 60766244 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:21 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Yeah I had a metre long bit of pipe for mine, they're ridiculous.

Also took a picture to demonstrate in case you didn't understand hahah, but then also to perve on one of the tidiest wagons I've seen, parked next to me in the parking lot of the train station :D

Emma's the one on the left in case you're blind ;)
Finding it hard to not stare at Emmas rear end and look at the towbar. :P

Just look at that tailgate! :D Mine is so munted. :(

Oneday I'll have it repaired!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

60766244 wrote:Finding it hard to not stare at Emmas rear end and look at the towbar. :P

Just look at that tailgate! :D Mine is so munted. :(

Oneday I'll have it repaired!

I still think my tailgate is hella-bent :/ from the inside, you can see down through the bottom onto the bumper. But it closes and opens fine and looks alright from the outside
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:it closes and opens fine and looks alright from the outside
And that's all that matters when it comes to Brumby tailgates - that they look good from the outside!

You'll find most have dings etc on the outside, they then rust where the paint has cracked and they look terrible! A decent tail gate can cost a pot load of money :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm

El_Freddo wrote:And that's all that matters when it comes to Brumby tailgates - that they look good from the outside!

You'll find most have dings etc on the outside, they then rust where the paint has cracked and they look terrible! A decent tail gate can cost a pot load of money :(

Cheers

Bennie

Well I found one (white) at the wreckers at Narangba for 100 doll hairs, still had the flashing across the back too! I tried to con the bloke into selling me just the flashing and the handle mech but he wouldn't :(

The outside of mine is pretty much rust free, but the join across the top is just rooted, straightened it out a bit with a pair of shifters
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:35 pm

I'd be jumping on that.

Take what you need and flog it for more - it'll sell if you're patient ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I'd be jumping on that.

Take what you need and flog it for more - it'll sell if you're patient ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Was thinking about it but I don't have the spare coin for anything :(

Once I get back to work this week I'll be hitting it up if they still have it
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Can you give some info on you mobile phone antenna?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 pm

Gannon wrote:Can you give some info on you mobile phone antenna?
Second.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Mobile Phone Antenna...

Post by 60766244 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:13 am

Gannon wrote:Can you give some info on you mobile phone antenna?
It's a 7db unit I bought from Jaycar Electronics for about $70 - Where I used to get 0 bars on the mobile I now get 2-3 bars.

I need it on my property as there's no way to make an emergency call otherwise.

Don't go to specialty stores to buy the kit, Jaycar had it the cheapest. A specialized phone place across the road had identical units for literally 5x the price. :|

You also need a mobile phone that has the ability to hook upto an antenna. And you'll need an adaptor to mate the two.

I have a Telstra ZTE phone that has a plug in the back for these antennas. Not many phones come with antenna plugs.

I also own a 12db antenna that's massive but it's yet to be hooked up because I need to fabricate a spring base for it and I need an adaptor for it. I predict perfect coverage with the 12db antenna. It was about $110 for that unit.

As for my tailgate, It's dented inside and out, though it does close well and lock up. :) Oneday I'll get one!
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

60766244 wrote: I also own a 12db antenna that's massive but it's yet to be hooked up because I need to fabricate a spring base for it and I need an adaptor for it. I predict perfect coverage with the 12db antenna. It was about $110 for that unit.

As for my tailgate, It's dented inside and out, though it does close well and lock up. :) Oneday I'll get one!

What is this "lock up" ?

And I need one for when we go out to Barcy and stuff, no coverage at all, do you reckon it would work out there where they only really get Telstra/NextG/4G coverage? Or is it just an amplifier?
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:21 am

In no way is it an amplifier. If I wanted one of those it would set me back $300 - $10,000 depending on the unit, and even these use antennas.

It's an aerial. Same concept as a radio/television antenna/aerial.

To explain that I could go into bandwidths and other wave-speak but it'd be easier to go in depth yourself on that one.

As for lock up, I simply meant "Clicks" shut well. I didn't mean to cause confusion.

Cheers,

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 am

60766244 wrote:In no way is it an amplifier. If I wanted one of those it would set me back $300 - $10,000 depending on the unit, and even these use antennas.

It's an aerial. Same concept as a radio/television antenna/aerial.

To explain that I could go into bandwidths and other wave-speak but it'd be easier to go in depth yourself on that one.
Righto, I know what you mean then. Never mind :(

60766244 wrote:
As for lock up, I simply meant "Clicks" shut well. I didn't mean to cause confusion.

Cheers,
Fair enough, does the handle work? Mine is rockin' the old "stick your hands inside and jimmy it" trick.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:35 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Righto, I know what you mean then. Never mind :(

Fair enough, does the handle work? Mine is rockin' the old "stick your hands inside and jimmy it" trick.
Handle works tight and clean with a nice loud click.

The antenna works extremely well for its price, worth looking into if you're keen on reception where there's currently none.

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 pm

60766244 wrote:Handle works tight and clean with a nice loud click.
Lucky :/ I've been after a mech for ages but every Brumby I find has the same damn issue!
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Been a while since I posted in this thread since I've become stuck into that darn garagejournal.com and all their insane setups!

Finally some progress is happening on the Brumby. :) She's up for a service soon, and some paint improvement too.

Thanks to T.Farm.Brumby's efforts I have a new radio antenna and interior bits coming in the mail soon.

Also thanks to T.Farm.Brumby's efforts, I have the paint code for my brumby (Maple Beige, Code: 748 ) and am buying some paint to touch up bits here and there about the old girl, and...

*drum roll*

I've contacted a Supplier of RaptorLiner which is a similar product to RhinoLiner - though about 3x cheaper ($200-$300ish) for 4L of product (which is enough to easily coat a large utes tray) though it has some advantages:

Apparently it's tougher (people will always argue until blue about polyurethane liners but I'm sure it's at least on par), it's self-applicable and can be sprayed on, rolled or brushed, the touch-dry cure time is an hour, though it takes a week to maintain maximum hardness, and it can be mixed to conform to paint codes!!

If you want RhinoLiner in anything other than black, they want to nearly double the quote price! D:

This RaptorLiner seems grand because apparently it sticks to anything and had large sound-deadening properties, which means I might also put it in the wheel-wells to see if I can reduce highway tyre noise too...

Any thoughts on RaptorLiner? From what I can tell it's all good... :D

There's a place in Midvale (WA) selling it and I'll let you all know their final price and how helpful they are.

Also, going to update those workbenches thread in a minute when I get the camera out. :mrgreen:

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Hardly call them efforts :p

Keen to see how this RaptorLiner turns out, my tray is in dire need of a touch up :(

Also curious as to what you're rolling on there. From your signature they look like 27/8.5"s but your Brumby isn't lifted?

How do they go with rubbing?

Have you been pulled up about the offset from the wheel arches or do the flares help? I need some flares for the RX since the tyres hang out about 2 inches, illegal, looks tough as though :p ARB down here have kits of universals for $91 (1.5") or $94 (3") for a set of 2 wheels arches. So $185 odd for the lot. Can get garden liner from Bunnings for sweet FA to do the same job though.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Hardly call them efforts :p

All I can say is Legeend.
T.Farm.Brumby wrote: Keen to see how this RaptorLiner turns out, my tray is in dire need of a touch up :(

Yeah I am thinking of using a shit-ton of bog to make the tray look a little more presentable before coating the tray. The trick is finding a bog that I think I can trust.

Anyone know of good brands of re-inforced bog that might be suitable for a ute tray?

I've seen bog labled, "re-inforced" and "fiberglass fiber enforced" as well as "Ultralight" does anyone have any specific brands or types they're keen on?

T.Farm.Brumby wrote: Also curious as to what you're rolling on there. From your signature they look like 27/8.5"s but your Brumby isn't lifted?
How do they go with rubbing?

Good eye. That's exactly what they are. They rub a little bit in the front if I go over a severe bump. I need to get a lift kit to wear them all the time. I only put them on for a week or so before I put the 13"s back on. The odd bump and squeak was enough for me to get sick of them, also, it makes little Brumby slower!

Speaking of Brumby, I've started calling her Maple after finally procuring the proper name of the colour code. :) I know you've been hounding me on names. ;)

T.Farm.Brumby wrote: Have you been pulled up about the offset from the wheel arches or do the flares help? I need some flares for the RX since the tyres hang out about 2 inches, illegal, looks tough as though :p ARB down here have kits of universals for $91 (1.5") or $94 (3") for a set of 2 wheels arches. So $185 odd for the lot. Can get garden liner from Bunnings for sweet FA to do the same job though.
The back wheels had no issue with the offset but the fronts stuck out about 1" or so. But the wheel arch flares dealt with that, at least legally. I used some garden (lawn) plastic edging from Bunnings that did an okay job.
But Jims on here (local to Kala too) sold me some proper arch flaring that I am yet to mount but might get happening soon.
Ideally I'd get that lift kit into action, repair all the suspension, have those 14"s mounted and she'll be pretty. But I suppose that's what all ongoing projects are. :p

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:38 pm

60766244 wrote: Good eye. That's exactly what they are. They rub a little bit in the front if I go over a severe bump. I need to get a lift kit to wear them all the time. I only put them on for a week or so before I put the 13"s back on. The odd bump and squeak was enough for me to get sick of them, also, it makes little Brumby slower!
Yeah even with a 2" on the RX they still scrub on some corners, and that's with good King springs :/ Need to do some "massaging"

Slower? I haven't found that, weaker in acceleration maybe but I get a better max speed out of the 27"s than the stocks.
60766244 wrote: Speaking of Brumby, I've started calling her Maple after finally procuring the proper name of the colour code. :) I know you've been hounding me on names. ;)
That's actually a really good name haha, always have to be girls ;)
60766244 wrote: The back wheels had no issue with the offset but the fronts stuck out about 1" or so. But the wheel arch flares dealt with that, at least legally. I used some garden (lawn) plastic edging from Bunnings that did an okay job.
Yeah I'm too cheap to buy moulded guards, so if you reckon the edging does the job then I'll just go with that :)

Cheers,
Tom.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:53 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:Yeah even with a 2" on the RX they still scrub on some corners, and that's with good King springs :/ Need to do some "massaging"
Slower? I haven't found that, weaker in acceleration maybe but I get a better max speed out of the 27"s than the stocks.
Well, yeah, acceleration is quite substantially different, since I rarely get to go near high speed being in local traffic all day I prefer the smaller wheels for the mean time.
I did massage a little of the front panels a bit, I plan to cut them off eventually if I need to.
T.Farm.Brumby wrote: That's actually a really good name haha, always have to be girls ;)

Cheers, It feels right. :p
T.Farm.Brumby wrote: Yeah I'm too cheap to buy moulded guards, so if you reckon the edging does the job then I'll just go with that :)
Cheers,
Tom.
It runs at about $50 (here atleast) for a massive roll of it. You could do ALL the wheels on both your vehicles with it, and make some terrible skirting for underneath too. ;p

Return to “My Subi”