60766244's AWD Brumby w/ EA22 conversion

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.

60766244's AWD Brumby w/ EA22 conversion

Post by 60766244 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm new to the forum so before I started posting generally I thought I should put up some photos of who I've bought and introduce myself.

More or less how she looked on pickup day:

And two more once I got her home:

With corroded roobar (found in paddock) and broken tonneau cover in tray, pretty busted up tailgate and agricultural tray, but otherwise sound:

Interior once brought home:

Little bit of front panel damage in the front there. Will fix when I know how:

More pictures to go up once I do some things with it...

What's there already:
  • EA22 Engine out of a 2nd Gen Liberty wagon.
    AWD system includes a LSD in the rear end.
    17" Rims with low profiles (not a fan of these).
    Fully new sound system installed including subs and amp. Going to put a new head unit in though.
    Liberty High/Low 5 speed Gearbox.
    Liberty center console.
    Central locking w/ immobiliser.
What I want.
  • Subaru Std. Roobar to fit w/ Lightforce spotties.
    Trade out the 17" 4x114.3 rims w/ tyres for 15x6" 4x114.5 or 4x140 rims so I can put BS Duelers' on.
    2" Lift kit incomming too.
    2-Way radio w/ antenna to be installed at some point also.
    Possible rhino-lined and repaired tray. Toolbox under window.
    Air-compressor and hose mounted in the spare-tyre bay (maybe small resovoir tank?).
    Subaru patriotic stickers.
    A new tonneau cover & fiberglass canopy.
    Spare wheel and Jerry-can mounts...
Jeeze that list got big fast... :rolleyes:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 pm

That's a good ute there mate, great to find one where someone has done all the difficult conversion stuff. You can just make it what you want with the finishing touches your talking about & enjoy.

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

hey if the 17 are 4x140 stud pattern ill take them haha i highly doubt they are but worth a try

purp

Post by purp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 pm

brockharro wrote:hey if the 17 are 4x140 stud pattern ill take them haha i highly doubt they are but worth a try
Zooming in on the pic I only see four wheel nuts....

Really curious now.

Nice brumby btw. Starting to get Thea real itch for one, but since I just had my first kid, three seats incas become the minimum.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Sweet ride mate! It doesn't look that bad with the areas of attention that you've mentioned. Awesome that someone's already done all the hard work in the conversion. Must go VERY well, especially with the AWD too!
brockharro wrote:hey if the 17 are 4x140 stud pattern ill take them haha i highly doubt they are
They won't be 4x140 stud pattern. I highly doubt you could ever get a 17 inch rim in the stock MY/L series stud pattern!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 pm

haha thats why asked
i call shotgun

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:30 pm

EA82 or
EJ22?
Yeah I want to know what these rims are!
Nice Brumby in general though. A bit of TLC and she'll be great!

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am

It has a ej22, the previous owner bought some bits off me for the conversion:)
They are 4stud, like the honda, swift etc have. Think all you do is drill the smaller pattern in the hubs and drums, seen it done before.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 am

60766244 wrote:EA22 Engine out of a 2nd Gen Liberty wagon.
Brumby Kid wrote:EA82 or
EJ22?
Don't know too many Gen2 Libertys with EA82 engines in them :p
60766244 wrote:Trade out the 17" 4x114.3 rims w/ tyres for 15x6" 4x114.5 or 4x140 rims so I can put BS Duelers' on.
brockharro wrote:hey if the 17 are 4x140 stud pattern ill take them haha i highly doubt they are but worth a try
I'm guessing by this statement that they are redrilled to 114.3 PCD
60766244 wrote:2" Lift kit incomming too.
Hi and Welcome 60766244 to AUSubaru. Nice ride, do you know who did the conversion? Is this your first Subaru?

I think you might need a bigger lift kit or cut out your guards to fit the BSDs but the Brumby looks awesome with 3 or 4 inch lift :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

It looks like these rims stirred the pot...

Post by 60766244 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 am

brockharro wrote:hey if the 17 are 4x140 stud pattern ill take them haha
&
purp wrote:Zooming in on the pic I only see four wheel nuts....

Really curious now.
They're a 4x114.3 Pattern so sorry mate. The bloke before me had the hubs re-drilled to this pattern so now the Brumby takes both 4x114.3 and 4x140 stud patterns - I simply knock out the bolts and change them to how I need them.
If you wanted them that bad I would still trade you for some other wheels if you were into doing some drilling...

I've been doing some research on rims and Speedy rims used to make steelies in 4x140 and Performance Wheels used to make rims in various varieties in the 4x140 pattern but as of yesterday (via email) I now know their moulds for 4x140 wheels have also been destroyed. This leaves custom wheel makers as your only option in the 4x140 pattern. :( That said there's zillions of 4x114.3's ;)
El_Freddo wrote:Sweet ride mate! It doesn't look that bad with the areas of attention that you've mentioned. Awesome that someone's already done all the hard work in the conversion. Must go VERY well, especially with the AWD too!

They won't be 4x140 stud pattern. I highly doubt you could ever get a 17 inch rim in the stock MY/L series stud pattern!

Cheers

Bennie
You are correct Sir. And, she goes like wet-stink in the sun. MTB92 will attest to this. She's particularly agile in the corners, though the light rear end does step out ever so slightly in the gravel!
Brumby Kid wrote:EA82 or
EJ22?
Yeah I want to know what these rims are!
Nice Brumby in general though. A bit of TLC and she'll be great!

Cheers Cam
Definitely an EJ22 - A pretty one at that. When I am home in a few days I will post photos.
I've been admiring your threads about your ute also.
I've lurked these forums a while before I decided to really jump in and get that dream car!
guyph_01 wrote:It has a ej22, the previous owner bought some bits off me for the conversion:)
They are 4stud, like the honda, swift etc have. Think all you do is drill the smaller pattern in the hubs and drums, seen it done before.
Correct. The stud pattern is 4x114.3 on these wheels. My rims have both the 4x140 and the 4x114.3 - Just reiiterating. ;)
I think the pattern was changed to this instead of the (more usual conversion of) 5 or 6 studders so the PoPo would be less inclined to notice the change. Subtle. He did a good conversion.
RSR 555 wrote: I'm guessing by this statement that they are redrilled to 114.3 PCD

Hi and Welcome 60766244 to AUSubaru. Nice ride, do you know who did the conversion? Is this your first Subaru?

I think you might need a bigger lift kit or cut out your guards to fit the BSDs but the Brumby looks awesome with 3 or 4 inch lift :cool:
You're spot on mate. The hubs have been re-drilled to account for both patterns.
A guy called Mick from Gidge, WA did the conversion (with I think his brother)
This is my fifth Subaru :mrgreen: I've owned a 2000 Forester (every day regret selling it), a 1992 L-Series, A 1998 Forester (T-Boned, that I bought for parts then sold the rest. Maybe some of the AUSubaru boys came up to Kalamunda to finish the job?), A 1997 Impreza Sportswagon 2.0L (For sale right now) and now this wonderful ute. :) I've also had a Landbruiser (1987, 75 Ute with huge lift) but we aren't to talk about them here... A 1992 Mitsubishi Magna Station Wagon Exec was my first car.
...I intend not to buy and further vehicles for some time... Too many in 3-4 years of Licencing.
The bull-bar and spotties are to be the next edition, and right now it looks like a 5 piece set of 15x6" 4x114.3 rims from Performance Wheels will cost $1252.00AUD delivered to WA.
I'm prepared to massage and encourage the wheel arches as needed. ;) Hopefully 2" will be sufficient but we will see!

I'm on the lookout for some second hand 15"s of various sorts though so if anyone knows of some hit me up! I'm grateful for having stumbled across this ute when I did. I'd been refreshing Gumtree hourly for weeks when I first saw it pop up - I went and viewed it the very next morning. She's got no broken rear suspension, door or body rust and it's only the tray and a couple of panels needing some TLC.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I recently bought brand new king wheels from my local tyre joint in 4x140 pcd 14x6 inch, would swap ya for those 17s if we can arrange freight. Tyres are 1000km old made in china jobs in 185 65 r 14 size. Check out my pics of my ute to see how they look. The 14s are on it in a couple of pics.

Sounds good.

Post by 60766244 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:I recently bought brand new king wheels from my local tyre joint in 4x140 pcd 14x6 inch, would swap ya for those 17s if we can arrange freight. Tyres are 1000km old made in china jobs in 185 65 r 14 size. Check out my pics of my ute to see how they look. The 14s are on it in a couple of pics.
Check your PM's - "Re: Wheels"

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Hey mate the Brumby looks great in the flesh! :)

Do you have discs on the rear?
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

Changes and improvements!

Post by 60766244 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 pm

tim_81coupe wrote:Hey mate the Brumby looks great in the flesh!

Do you have discs on the rear?
Drums in the rear. Hard to remove as I found today, or, at least a lot harder than the disks! - I greased everything in re-assembly.
Disks are a pipe-dream I want to chase at some point.
It is a nice ute, but compared to your Blue BRZ, wow, that is a pretty car.
Not many modern rear ends look so pretty!
First conversation I've ever had, inter-car at 100kmph!

So, I took some photos today...

Engine interior - cramped, but nice and tidy. Only things amiss is the coolant-bottle overflow tank (read: re-purposed small coolant bottle) and the wiring I haven't finished yet...

A pretty front end? Factory Bull-bar (painted myself) with Light-Force Spotties - Terribly ugly says the girls... I think it's gorgeous.
Only thing missing is the Antenna, which is coming!

2nd Gen Liberty Center-console for all that spare change and making her pretty. Fits like a glove!
Plus, a hint of what's to come!

Head unit to go soon, new one coming as well as that 2-Way... As long as some more of that unfinished wiring all tucked up.

So, yesterday I was on gumtree.com.au (as always) and stumbled across some 13"s with new tyres courtesy of a Mr James of Kalamunda who had them up since his beautiful L-Series had some cool 14"s on it.
Full set of five with All-Rounders? Couldn't say no.

I spent the morning taking off the hubs, banging out the 4x114.3's and putting it back to the 4x140 pattern to fit them. But, can't argue with that result. See this thread about it. Only 15mm difference between the overall of the two wheel sets!

I have photos of the change-out process so I will make a thread about it in the right spot, when I have some more time. I did it a little different to the instructions on the net I've seen... (Edit, see above.)
She looks a lot lower to me with those white wheels on rather than the black ones... I might have to crack open a can of paint or three.

There's that antenna - but, still no unit hooked up to it. I guess I need to be in a wiring mood...

On a quick side-note, check out ausubaru.wikidot.com - Re-booting the old wiki! Some work will be coming on it tonight.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Hey mate,
Luv the look of those White Subaru wheels, knew you would find some locally. Heaps easier than trying to ship 2 sets of wheels across the country. They are what I ended up using on mine too in the end. Good ya got the centre caps with them as well.

Subaru 13" 4x140

Post by 60766244 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Rodeo4jake wrote:Hey mate,
Luv the look of those White Subaru wheels, knew you would find some locally. Heaps easier than trying to ship 2 sets of wheels across the country. They are what I ended up using on mine too in the end. Good ya got the centre caps with them as well.
Yeah they really are pretty flash. But I still think I want black rims... But I'll think on it for a solid while. :rolleyes:

Like, look at this: :p

She just suits black wheels I feel.

I wonder how much getting replica decals done would cost to pretty her up? Hah, another pipe-dream. ;-)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 am

Just about every decal ever made is either available reproduced or NOS (new old stock)

AG-QUIP-91

retroroo

gtcompletepower

the rear discs can be gotten from America or New Zealand very readily and probably for the same price or cheaper as a set would cost here (including shipping)

The standard sunny 13" rims look great black, have a look at my spamfest to see pics, but your alloy rims look better IMHO
it would be interesting to see how long they lasted off road :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post by 60766244 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 am

So much goodness in one post!

Your ebay link seems broken but thankyou overall.

Now it goes from pipe-dream list to wish-list box. :rolleyes:

Those rims were pretty tidy looking, but boy, did you feel it on any bumps! Ouch. :\ (Sold yesterday within 45mins of being on gumtree)

I like my comfy BJ All-rounders... Though some 14"s or 15"s will be the eventual goal. ;)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:39 am

Try it now, I did try to post another set of book marks for you in the wiki post but there is a limit to the size of a PM or post :(

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Fuel storage, new exhaust

Post by 60766244 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

[HTML][/HTML]
TOONGA wrote:Try it now, I did try to post another set of book marks for you in the wiki post but there is a limit to the size of a PM or post :(

TOONGA
All good. Will go over them soon as I can. :)

Today's been a pretty good day. I got the exhaust changed to a baffled one, so though I will miss the hornets-rumble of the beast, it does mean the ute is a complete sleeper. ;) Very quiet and civilized now!

I also installed two fuel-Jerry holders behind the wheel arches in the tray. Conveniently mounted on the removable panel - should keep the jerrys accessible, secure and tidy. The frames have locks on them too, but they will only work once I get proper metal Jerrys as these ones are too tall!

Not entirely happy with the mounting effort, might re-do it, but the photo gives a good effect. The holders can be found at Opposite Lock 4x4 Shop for ~$50 each if anyone's interested. They fit precisely within the gap between the wheel arch and the wall - a space less often used in utes when loading up. Convenient!

As you can see, a very advanced spare wheel holder... Still working on that one. :)

Return to “My Subi”