2000 H6 Project.

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm

So we are home now, early because of the storms up north. Anyway have some pics, one pre-raised springs and a few post on Fraser and stuff.

The car performed amazingly on the sand. We only got stuck once when we where trying to get from the beach to one of the in land tracks still running 40psi. A lil bit of digging and dropped the tires to 20psi, it got out easy. A landcruiser driver was pretty keen to drag us out and a land rover kept watch but kept the suby's dignity and got out it's self. Didn't really need that much digging either just to clear behind the wheels. It didn't struggle again, even on trails where the heavies where getting bogged.

The lakes where amazing however the storms came through over night so everything was a bit gloomy the next day. Made the sand a bit firmer though. Heaps of fun was had and I was stoaked with how the car performed.

Once again thanks to Miles from AM Auto for his help and also to Jeff from Xbread for helping me out and admiring the car :P when I popped through Brissy.

Pre lifted springs

Post lifted springs, Rainbow beach.

On the barge to Fraser

On Fraser

Bogged

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Great pics, looks sweet with all that lift!! :D

My mate has a similar setup in his outback... Only difference is he has 2" spacer blocks without the full body lift and Geolander AT-S tyres rather than the BFG's...
I will say though, watch out with the king springs. The rear shock spring perch tents to break and collapse. This happened to my mate 3times, all offroad going over bumps... The raised springs put to much pressure on the rear shocks..

What do you think of the BFG's?

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 pm

Way too many bongs taza, you showed me the same pic on pg4. I'm thinking that I might not have the same issues with your mate having the body lift rather than just struts as the only extra tension is coming from the springs. Hopefully.

BFG's where good on the sand and didn't slip on the few we rocks I went over. Handled a lot better than I expected on the road. I didn't have very high expectations on there road holding however.

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:08 am

G'day
I really like the look of this car. Looks like you had a good time on Fraser,I need to get back there some day.Well done for not needing a tow.It's amazing the difference a drop in tyre pressures can make.
I spotted ya Sth bound on the Hume yesterday too, I was headed nth in a truck. You stood out among the SUVs towing there ski boats.

Cheers

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Yeah Fraser was awesome.

That's cool as. Funny how you start looking out for cars, I saw a few pretty cool offroad subies up in QLD.

Thanks for the compliments.

Will

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm

sorry i missed you mate. i just didn't have time to catch up! glad to hear you enjoyed Fraser
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 am

Ha no worries man, maybe some other time. Yeah It was awsome, thanks again for the tips.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm

New addition to the outback :)

This is just a test fit. Good photo though, you can barely see my gf behind the car stopping the tent sliding down onto the bonnet :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] H6 outback 5 speed D/R

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Could be worth looking into an air dam in front of the tent to help with the wind resistance... maybe.

Should be fun though, I love my rooftop camper - I'm keen to upgrade to something better now though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri May 10, 2013 7:37 am

Yeah Bennie I think I'll eventually get there :p would love to make a custom roof rack one day.

Do you not like yours? I only got this style because it was the cheapest I could find!

As far as I can tell it hasn't made much difference to the fuel consumption at all. Usually getting high 12s on the freeway and getting height 12s and some times a 13 with the tent. I think I really need a longer 5th.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am

hydrowill wrote:Do you not like yours? I only got this style because it was the cheapest I could find!
It's been good but I'd like another foot in length so I can have a decent stretch in the morning. It's a cheap build most likely from china but it's been a great starter to see if that's what we wanted to go with. I've done a lot of work on it while we've had it just to improve a few bits here and there ;)
hydrowill wrote:I think I really need a longer 5th.
All drive suparoo in NSW sell a tall 5th gear, I don't think it costs too much either! Venom knows more I think, otherwise look them up on foogle and contact them from there.

Cheers

Bennie

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Hit 300, 000 earlier in the week. 12, 000kms since registered :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 22, 2013 10:30 pm

hydrowill wrote:12, 000kms since registered :)
And how long has it be rego'd so far? That's a crazy amount of k's do to in that period of time!

The best I've done was 8,000+ k's in two weeks - Perth and almost back!

Cheers

Bennie

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Since January. So no too crazy.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:51 pm

So the latest project is a roof rack that will take my tent and surfboards or a windsurfer.

Starting with a tradie rack that will be cut down to a more suitable size for the OB.

Standard rails will be given the flick as they are starting to pull apart at the join between the plastic molding and rail. They will be replaced by tracks that will accept the roof racks.

Still waiting on a few parts then pictures will be up :)

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Have been working all weekend, few picks of the car.

The tracks are bolted on in the standard positions, riveted and sealed/glued with polyurethane.

Tradie rack is all cut to size ready to be welded next weekend.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm

that is an awesome roof rack setup. not sure about the tradie cage (bit old school for such a nice car)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:06 pm

I know man but I bought it for 50 bucks and it will do the job. once it has a tent a shovel and a few other things up there I bet you wont even notice. Better than forkign out 600+ for a proper tray.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I likey your O/B very much..

If you want to ever go back to an older lib let me know and we can swap!

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Ha thanks Bumpty, I might pass on that one :P

Finished the roof cage today. Just needs a trip to the powder coaters. Looks pretty cool too I rekon.

Also payed ARB a visit to size up a few snorkels. The latest hilux fits almost perfectly and will require no bending, maybe a fillet of black polyurethane and thats about it.

Will put up some pics soon.

Return to “My Subi”