1986 Subaru Leone 4wd Factory Turbo

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Mon May 28, 2012 6:41 pm

username wrote:She's a sweet ride. Fixed up that indicator yet?

Cheers,

Jake
Hi mate, that indicator you gave me was the wrong colour hehe, didnt even notice until I got home. I took the bracket off but its about and inch short due to the thread holes on the indicator being broken, so Ill go get a couple of screws longer in length and use a spacer to make up the distance.
Many thanks for that as Ill be able to make it work after a trip to the hardware this weekend.

Just need to find some as new 185/70 or 175/70 13 inch tread to fit to those sunraysias now :o

Oh on my way up to your place I had a red subaru sedan go screaming past me ran and red and all, then there was a news flash the following day about a shop robbery or something with the suspects fleeing in a red subie ;)

Talk soon

Heath

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Stock y pipes?
Hi, my whole exhaust system is the original one, seems to be pretty solid until the cat, from there on it has a fair few rust holes, infact its the only significantly rusty part on the whole wagon.

Dont want to go overboard on the exhaust costs, pretty much just want to get the flow correct and a reasonable note without being to loud or with an annoying drone to it.

Probably go have a talk to a few exhaust shops next Tuesday so if anyone has any recommendations in Adelaide please tell....

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon May 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Exhaust dynamics. Oaklands road something park.
Reccomended by tony knight of knight engines.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Brumby Kid wrote:Exhaust dynamics. Oaklands road something park.
Reccomended by tony knight of knight engines.
Oh great, thanks mate not to far from me Ill check them out

username

Post by username » Mon May 28, 2012 8:59 pm

The cat on my stock l series exhaust was pretty much straight after the y pipes, Heath's it almost halfway down the car. Is that a turbo thing or an import thing?

I got my exhaust done at that yellow place on Port Road, pretty close to the South Road intersection there. I went to Carline at Semaphore to ask him what type of exhaust i should put on to get a nice note, he just angrily said to put a cannon on it, $300, definitely didn't go back there...

Cheers,

Jake

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:19 pm

I'd personally go for a Turbo back exhaust, costs are higher but worth it IMO.

As for tyres, what sort of work/offroading you got planned? I think you'll hate LT tyres, they are hard and noisy. I would only use them on trailers or Minesite cars. Road tyres make the best for beach work but useless on dirt/mud tracks.

Not sure if anyone makes aftermarket strut tops but I'd hate to know the price of genuine ones :neutral:

NB for Brumby Kid.. Turbo models don't have a Y piece as such. They have crossover and up-pipe to the turbo.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon May 28, 2012 10:19 pm

For an exhaust, 2 & 1/2 inch from the turbo to a 2 & 1/2 universal catalytic converter and then 2 & 1/4" from there to a hotdog about halfway under the car and a sports muffler at the rear

This is where I had my cat just under the drivers footwell
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:41 pm

SWEET RIDE!

I'm guessing Glenelg beach area for those pics? Only know because I was there about 8 months ago in roughly the same spot taking pics of my ride too :twisted:

What gannon's said for an exhaust is smack on the mark from what I've read!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 am

El_Freddo wrote:SWEET RIDE!

I'm guessing Glenelg beach area for those pics? Only know because I was there about 8 months ago in roughly the same spot taking pics of my ride too :twisted:

What gannon's said for an exhaust is smack on the mark from what I've read!

Cheers

Bennie
You would be correct :D

Ill go get a quote on the exhaust next Tuesday and let you know how I go.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed May 30, 2012 10:01 am

Congrats on finding a unique little Subie. No factory turbo wagons in Aus which means they're pretty rare. I myself am a sucker for the 80's sqaure edge styling, reckon it looks tough :D

I will be interested to see how you go with your headlining, got the same problem with my l series GT wagon. Your interior looks to be in good nic too, my upper trim panels are all cactus :( Are you interior plastic parts all the same colour? Mine are a mix of greys, not sure if its from different car or just the way they've aged.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Gannon wrote:For an exhaust, 2 & 1/2 inch from the turbo to a 2 & 1/2 universal catalytic converter and then 2 & 1/4" from there to a hotdog about halfway under the car and a sports muffler at the rear

This is where I had my cat just under the drivers footwell
Why is it stepped down from 2.50 to 2.25 after the cat ? Is there benefits in that opposed to staying at the 2.5 diameter straight through ?

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Wed May 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Venom wrote:Congrats on finding a unique little Subie. No factory turbo wagons in Aus which means they're pretty rare. I myself am a sucker for the 80's sqaure edge styling, reckon it looks tough :D

I will be interested to see how you go with your headlining, got the same problem with my l series GT wagon. Your interior looks to be in good nic too, my upper trim panels are all cactus :( Are you interior plastic parts all the same colour? Mine are a mix of greys, not sure if its from different car or just the way they've aged.
My interior plastics are all matching with no fade, only interior issue is the hoodlining sag other than that theres a few stains in the cargo area carpet but I reckon it will wash out which Ill have a crack at doing this Saturday.(Anyone have a recommendation on what interior carpet cleaner to use?)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Rebuilt wrote:Why is it stepped down from 2.50 to 2.25 after the cat ? Is there benefits in that opposed to staying at the 2.5 diameter straight through ?
Well as a gas cools down it reduces in volume, so if the pipe size stayed the same, the exhaust gas speed would gradually decrease towards the rear of the car. Dropping pipe size helps keep exhaust gas speed constant, But in this instance I doubt it would make much difference.

I only did it because of the available 2.5" mandrel pipe bends and cat I got at the time, and then I went with 2.25" for the rest because my rear section was 2.25" and I had a spare piece of 2.25" pipe handy.
2.5" all the way to the rear is probably overkill for the amount of power you are making.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Venom wrote:Congrats on finding a unique little Subie. No factory turbo wagons in Aus which means they're pretty rare. I myself am a sucker for the 80's sqaure edge styling, reckon it looks tough :D
same
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Rebuilt

Rear End Photos

Post by Rebuilt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi all, I had a bit of a squeak in the rear suspension so I pulled off the tyres today and sprayed the moving components with a silicon spray and whilst I was at it took some photos. Can some with the knowledge give me some info on what I have in the rear as far as the suspension parts and diff/disc set up. Basically wondering if any of it is the same as a standard L series so I know what I'm after when sorting parts.
Tried my best to photo some of the numbers and the squeak is gone for now :lol:
Attachments
Rear Diff.jpg
Rear Diff.jpg (114.54 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Rear Strut and Spring.jpg
Rear Strut and Spring.jpg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
Disc Break Rear 2.jpg
Disc Break Rear 2.jpg (112.62 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Disc Brake Rear 1.jpg
Disc Brake Rear 1.jpg (108.15 KiB) Viewed 3204 times

Rebuilt

Post by Rebuilt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:36 pm

And some strut numbers, best I could get
Attachments
Rear Strut 2.jpg
Rear Strut 2.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Rear Strut 1.jpg
Rear Strut 1.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

87rxturbo

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Rebuilt wrote:Hi mate, that indicator you gave me was the wrong colour hehe, didnt even notice until I got home. I took the bracket off but its about and inch short due to the thread holes on the indicator being broken, so Ill go get a couple of screws longer in length and use a spacer to make up the distance.
Many thanks for that as Ill be able to make it work after a trip to the hardware this weekend.

Just need to find some as new 185/70 or 175/70 13 inch tread to fit to those sunraysias now :o

Oh on my way up to your place I had a red subaru sedan go screaming past me ran and red and all, then there was a news flash the following day about a shop robbery or something with the suspects fleeing in a red subie ;)

Talk soon

Heath

That was probably my Red Subie sedan screaming past! I was doing a few erands earlier in the week in the western suburbs between the city and the beach and gave it abit of a squirt,the guys on foot certainly had a grin on their face as i launched it passed them,constantly suprises people expecting to see a wrx.Massive difference between the sound of my standard Touring wagon vs' the RX with hotdog/ 2 1/2 inch system. Has a nice rumble to it even at idle .
I know exactly where your coming from with the headlining,i eneded up removing mine for the time being 'cos i got sick of it flapping on my scone everytime i drove with the window open.With mine being an RX i decided repair was better than replacement as i'm not sure if you could match the original fabric. Besides that mine is stain and rip free,it had just started to become unstuck from the cardboard.As previously stated be careful when removing it and try to keep the cardboard in 1 peice,from memory it is glued at the edges at both the front and rear windscreens,although i don't know in the wagon.You will need to remove all of the interior lights,seat belts (to get the plastic trim off) ,sun visors etc etc.Also check that your windscreen seals are good ,because in my case moisture was getting into the cardboard at the front and will need to be adrressed before replacing the lining.
ps. Love the car!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 pm

You can help yourself by getting on the ground with a tape measure, sneak up from behind the rear wheel , shove it up to spring seat and measure from there down to centre line of bottom bolt of strut. You could then check with Peders on the measures of their 8201,8202 and 8203 rear shocks and see which one is a close match to your dimensions.

Allow for a bit of squish in the lower bolt bush

You have a standard factory rear station wagon L series spring going by the orange and green paint daubs. I have two sets, or had anyway, the other set had different colour daubs.

mr_sp33

Post by mr_sp33 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 am

Wow!!! Beautiful wagon mate, i'm jealous.
Rebuilt wrote:.(Anyone have a recommendation on what interior carpet cleaner to use?)
I used the can on the right, it's by turtlewax. I was genuinely surprised at how good it was at removing stains.

Before:

After:

Can't wait to see more updates!

Rebuilt

Wagon now for sale

Post by Rebuilt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi all, Im looking for an auto gearbox and rear diff to suit for repairs. May even consider all parts for manual conversion if someone has.

Message me with an offer and contact number and Ill call to discuss.

Thanks

Heath

Return to “My Subi”