B00stings 92 Brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:14 pm

that photo is great i would imagine it will be getting around a fair bit on the forum
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Image
thunder039 wrote:that photo is great i would imagine it will be getting around a fair bit on the forum
Yeah I stole it and saved it after I found it on USMB somewhere. I think someone has since stolen it :???:

Boosting, I saw the add before you were able to post about it. WHY are you not keeping it?

I'd love to be bidding on it but I've not got the money, it'd be "nice" to have it as a spare in the shed or to even add to Sunnie the Brumby, but as I've said funds are not good. All the best with the sale though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 am

El_Freddo wrote:Yeah I stole it and saved it after I found it on USMB somewhere. I think someone has since stolen it :???:

Boosting, I saw the add before you were able to post about it. WHY are you not keeping it?

I'd love to be bidding on it but I've not got the money, it'd be "nice" to have it as a spare in the shed or to even add to Sunnie the Brumby, but as I've said funds are not good. All the best with the sale though!

Cheers

Bennie
I'm selling it because i'm fitting the 02 outback box that goes with the ej25, its a manual d/r. i cant be bothered creating a hybrid box then breaking it and not having any parts to fix it. instead i will search/fit a lower gear set (scorpion).

Ok heres some pictures: the outback pics are not current as ive started the conversion:

Donor outback 02 model:

Suspension (monroe for rears, custom fronts):

Crossbred body lift/rear diff protector:

Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 19, 2012 11:51 am

B00sting wrote:instead i will search/fit a lower gear set (scorpion).
Or do the L series low range conversion; and another by Phizinza here. Just make sure the gearbox you get from an L series is from a NA EA82, this is guaranteed to have the low range you're after if it's a dual range.

It's a bit of work, but would be a pot load cheaper than buying the scorpion set. And while you're in there it's a good time to shove a front LSD in there :twisted:

I can't wait to see this beast offroad!

Cheers

Bennie

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat May 19, 2012 11:54 am

Compressor/compressor box/d shackles/tirfor (box also for recovery gear):

snorkels/uhf/flares:

Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat May 19, 2012 11:55 am

Current offroad tyres (on ebay, upgrading):

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 am

El_Freddo wrote:Or do the L series low range conversion; and another by Phizinza here. Just make sure the gearbox you get from an L series is from a NA EA82, this is guaranteed to have the low range you're after if it's a dual range.

It's a bit of work, but would be a pot load cheaper than buying the scorpion set. And while you're in there it's a good time to shove a front LSD in there :twisted:

I can't wait to see this beast offroad!

Cheers

Bennie
This is actually an excellent idea. the sale of the AWD box may help fund this.
Still keen to try and make front/rear air lockers work in the future, thinking r200 diffs.

i've started the hard work, i'll try and remember to take pictures. i'm also selling all the leftover vortex bits to free up space!

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Sat May 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Please tell more about all your goodies. Flares, snorkel, compressor etc.
Would like to know how your putting them on.
Planning similar mods to my brumby.

Cheers Cam.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am

Brumby Kid wrote:Please tell more about all your goodies. Flares, snorkel, compressor etc.
Would like to know how your putting them on.
Planning similar mods to my brumby.

Cheers Cam.
the cruiser snorkel is a no go, but i may be able to use bits (airbox) if i'm clever. the airbox is a good idea because its set up for a snorkel, where as the outback or brumby one is full of holes that need to be plugged up (and the outback is a CAI).

the safari snorkel was another gamble, its from an 84-88 hilux. it looks like it SHOULD fit but it comes up about 10-15cm below the roofline which i think is a problem. considering having a plastic welder modify it to extend it if that is even possible. if this is a complete disaster i will buy a pipe bender and make one out of stainless. this has the advantage of me being able to use the pipe bender for other projects (they aare around 250-350).

the flares i bought off the forum, they look a bit rough but i think they will do the job. i have two spare guards that i'm going to chop up past the indicator mark to fit bigger wheels/tyres. i will go as big as i can before needing firewall mods. i will chop the rears as well, and possible tub them, i will consider tubbing the fronts also but this is out of my depth and will be done in consultation with an engineer.

the compressor will be installed in that stainless box that i put up a picture of. the white bit is where the compressor sits, it has air holes and provision for the filter to be mounted in the front. i'm going to mount the box in the tray on top of my chainsaw box so it is out of the way and out of any possible water. this is unless i have a better idea in the meantime.

the arb compressor i chose because it is designed to inflate huge offroad tyres and be reliable. it was only 290 and if you compare the specs to a cheap one it absolutely shits on them. my view is do it right once, dont cheap out. the only problem with this is it draws a large amount of amps, therefore the alternator from the ej25 is going to help, the brumby one is only like 50A, i'm sure the outback alternator is bigger.

as you can see its problem after problem for these types of mods to a brumby. these cars arent made in mind with the kind of mods i have planned.

WHERE THE CAR SITS NOW:
i've stuffed around all week and since last week. the shed is a total mess of organisation! engine and boxes are out, getting rid of the ej 25 A/C and sorting out the power steering. looks like it will be stopped at this point for a few weeks due to work. no big deal, it will be done but i dont have a definate timeframe (who does).

for those interested yes it will be engineered, sounding positive at this point. it is possible that i will send the car to my mechanic at some point if it becomes obvious that im never going to do it all myself. auto elec work etc.

AshR

Post by AshR » Wed May 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Keep us posted on the engineering side, I wouldn't mind knowing costs etc involved if I went the path of the EJ22 in the brumby too :)

looking like it's coming along alright too

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Will do mate.
Finalising the sale of some 15" peugeot wheels currently.
going to trial them and go custom or superlites if i'm not happy with them.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 am

AshR wrote:Keep us posted on the engineering side, I wouldn't mind knowing costs etc involved if I went the path of the EJ22 in the brumby too :)
Just contact a pile of engineers in your area/distance you're willing to travel until you find someone that's willing to do what you want, enquire about price and go from there. I wish I had of got engineer's cert when I did the initial conversion - back then it was quoted at $800 to $1G, no questions about brakes etc, but I was at the end of uni and had no money...

Next time though, I'll jump at the opportunity/be more money ready for it!

Having an engineer from the beginning is the way to go ;)

Cheers

Bennie

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Thu May 31, 2012 6:32 pm

Well I've being back at work so nothing else has happened. Work looks like not letting up until the end of June at least. Pending the coin i'm making i'll send it somewhere for some more work.

edit: may just go custom wheels now. reason being superlites are too good for offroad and the peugeot wheels in 15" i'm not 100% happy using offroad either. even though I just bought them...! lol.

double edit! found some 15" peugeot steel wheels and I have bought 5!!

I believe they are 15x5 or 15x6, if they aren't wide enough I will have them widened!

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

-Well setback number 5001.
Had to put the ea81 back in the brumby as I needed it again for work... :(

-BUT, the vortex disc brakes are being checked over and will be ready on saturday. and as well as the ea81 back in we put in the crossbred body lift kit. minor issues i'll do a write up for the suspension section. in summary minor issues included reverse not being able to be selected, had to adjust selector bolt. brake lines tight. nut head broke inside chassis rail... fixed however.

-also fitted crossbred rear diff protector.

-peugeot 15" steelies arrived, half-heartedly sourcing tyres.

-just bought a new daily, will have to rego it then the brumby can go off the road until the conversion is done. however now i have four cars lol.

-waiting on tax return :)

edit:
new daily (thing is MINNNNNNNNNNNT!):

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:40 pm

New wheels for brumby:

Had to source weird ass wheel nuts, worth it though! Best looking brumby rims i've ever seen IMO!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Seeing them on a accy damaged L Series - had to check it was still there today not sold :)

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:05 pm

steptoe wrote:Seeing them on a accy damaged L Series - had to check it was still there today not sold :)
buy them mate ;)

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm

new rims look great.
what kind of car is the new daily?
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:43 pm

thunder039 wrote:new rims look great.
what kind of car is the new daily?
thanks mate. I really like them.

The new daily is a 1980 toyota cressida.
i'm only lightly modifying it :D
electric fender mirrors, venetians, lowered, 14x8.5" wheels haha.

but itching to get more done to the brumby :mad:

edit: check out the wheels:

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Tough times. My dilemma: 4 cars and really should have only two.
Would anyone on AS be interested in buying my brumby with the 02 outback running car + all project bits i've gathered and mentioned in build thread. brumby could probably be sold with rego+rwc. thinking EOI at this point would anyone pay 10k for the lot?

Return to “My Subi”