I own a vortex :)

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm

^ That ruins a vortex - where's the subaru about that?

I love the manoeuvrability of my subaru offroad compared to the big rigs! This thing makes a subaru everything it's not!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 pm

This thread has some info on it.

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13506

Aparrently just sitting on top of a custom sub frame and has been converted back. I still think he wins as far as lift goes ;).

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:51 am

Alex wrote:great to hear they have a good home ;)
And to think they could have gone to a better home.. Would have been better if they were 4WD ones but that would only have made it harder to get in
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

87rxturbo

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 am

TOONGA wrote:See if you can notice the difference

before

after

New front struts with standard springs and 2 inch strut lifts, the rear got the shock spacer.

A big thanks to RSR555 and CO for all the help.

Jahan still wants to go for a ride in that go kart... which is awesome by the way :)

Now I just need to get the bash plate sorted and Jet car is ready for business

TOONGA

I was just having a look at what's happening in the land of the Vortex,when i cam across your pics Toong. When i seen the first pic,i thought "wow,that looks good in white,and the stance looks spot on,"and then i seen the next pic......YUCK! Why? Why? Why?. It reminds me of several things: A young teenage boy that all of a sudden has a massive growth spurt ,decides to put his cap on back to front and looks nothing but awkward and thinks "yeah i'm bad! "....The numerous amounts of ruined muscle cars ,box chevies etc in the south of America sitting on stupid sized rims that also think they look cool....A male personal trainer that has good asthetics to compete in a bodybuilding comp and then at the last minute decides to wear a 5 inch pair of high heels on stage,just wrong!...But seriously Toonga don't listen to me,i'm abit old school and believe off-roaders should be off-roaders and sports cars should be sports cars. I like the down in the weeds,slammed look and yet this too is impractical in the city at times,with speed humps and undulating bad surfaced roads.Yesterday i took mine off the jack and i had to get under the car and lift the back end just to get the diff centre off the hydraulic jack to remove my jack,it's just a little too low.
And all you other regular readers that like the tip-toey look,i don't mean to insult anyone,because without all your hard work,pioneering and advice i would not have the information and knowledge available to have done any work on my own cars.

87rxturbo

could have been my old RX!

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:18 am

87rxturbo wrote:I was just having a look at what's happening in the land of the Vortex,when i cam across your pics Toong. When i seen the first pic,i thought "wow,that looks good in white,and the stance looks spot on,"and then i seen the next pic......YUCK! Why? Why? Why?. It reminds me of several things: A young teenage boy that all of a sudden has a massive growth spurt ,decides to put his cap on back to front and looks nothing but awkward and thinks "yeah i'm bad! "....The numerous amounts of ruined muscle cars ,box chevies etc in the south of America sitting on stupid sized rims that also think they look cool....A male personal trainer that has good asthetics to compete in a bodybuilding comp and then at the last minute decides to wear a 5 inch pair of high heels on stage,just wrong!...But seriously Toonga don't listen to me,i'm abit old school and believe off-roaders should be off-roaders and sports cars should be sports cars. I like the down in the weeds,slammed look and yet this too is impractical in the city at times,with speed humps and undulating bad surfaced roads.Yesterday i took mine off the jack and i had to get under the car and lift the back end just to get the diff centre off the hydraulic jack to remove my jack,it's just a little too low.
And all you other regular readers that like the tip-toey look,i don't mean to insult anyone,because without all your hard work,pioneering and advice i would not have the information and knowledge available to have done any work on my own cars.

My pics didn't upload...
Attachments
32055110013_large.jpg
32055110013_large.jpg (51.33 KiB) Viewed 5082 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 am

He did it coz he could !

Each to their own

Maybe he needs a higher vehicle to get in and out of each time - bad back etc ?

The drag coefficient of the FWD Vortex was Cd0.29, the 4WD had to sit higher and the drag went to 0.31 - Jules has probably just altered it to similar Cd of a mid eighties Falcon or Commodore :)

87rxturbo

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:39 am

All in good fun,like i said didn't mean to insult anyone,and i forgot to put that sentence in Steptoe "each to their own",couldn't agree more,individualism is what makes our world interesting.
Please Toonga don't take what i wrote too seriously,i wrote it with a smile on my face,and its easy to misconstrue things online without seeing body language.
I'm sure you will get plenty of stares cruising down the road in it,and i dare say when finished it will climb over obstacles like a trooper.

87rxturbo

My Vortex

Post by 87rxturbo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 am

Looks abit under-tyred ,but there we have it. Vortex on sunnies.
Attachments
ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 18 08.20.jpg
ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 18 08.20.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 5102 times

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:02 am

WA, like most of Aus has lots of great places to explore and a low vortex wouldn't make it very far. Jules wants to see this car on the beach, so he needs it high. IMO I think it looks cool but I'm a sucker for all things Subaru (low or high). It's also about being different, which fits in perfectly with Jules :p and probably the rest of us in WA
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 am

Ummm did I miss all of this while I was enjoying the new ride height of Jetcar :)

I know every one drops their vortex to just above speed bump level then drops in an EJ20 with the biggest turbo or supercharger they can find... thats why slowly but surely jetcar is getting a "rally" make over... each to his own :)

I can't find the photo of how I want her to look for some reason when ever I want to post the image it has dissapeared :( when I find it next I will post it. the image is of a vortex in rally spec and all the text is in Japanese.

Anyway back to the pinging problem with summer here the heat is making the ping almost horrific when I run the car on 91 ron so Im currently running on 95 ron upwards with no improved fuel economy and a nice dent in my wallet. with 95 ron I still got some ping :(. This morning I changed the computer from a D5 to a 63 (D5 is from a 92 liberty, 63 is from a 89 liberty) Put in a newer coil and changed the 2 prong ECU temp sensor. I took her for a drive (remember 95 ron) and there is no real difference in overall performance but for now there is no ping.

I did the S.U.E.C. (subaru upper engine clean) a while ago with little to no smoke or change to the engine

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:52 am

If the plugs are easy to get to, going to a colder plug might get you back to 91 ron. Perhaps a cooler thermostat wouldn't go amiss either?

Regards

Doug

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 am

All on the list Doug but for now I have to drive Jetcar as she is :(

Unless I win Lotto

Jules

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

TOONGA wrote: This morning I changed the computer from a D5 to a 63 (D5 is from a 92 liberty, 63 is from a 89 liberty)
TOONGA
Ok so it was a G1 computer not a D5 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

runs well with the G1 has an acceleration issue with the 63

Now running the G1 again

TOONGA

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Ah the holidays I love them ... apart from working in near 40 degree heat :(

So I've had an "ignition problem" and it got to the point where I had hooked up a push button start (new school or farm start?) using the relay diagrams from here

it has been working without a hitch but I used my air-horn button to make the starter switch for the relay ... I missed my air-horns.

A little while ago at my local wrecker I chanced upon an ignition switch from an L series which has the same plugs as the vortex.

Yesterday of all days I was all set to try to fit it once I had pulled half the car apart to access the ignition, when I decided just to try the plug and see if it solved the problem.

I went to unplug the ignition and the connectors literally fell apart... WTF Glad I had only removed a vent tube and the plastic panel in front of it. I plugged the free floating switch in and cranked success I did this several times just to ensure it wasn't a fluke.

I then plugged in the old switch (properly) and whooo hoo I have a key ignition start.

I then wired the relay and wiring to my air-horns and car horn so now I have the choice of air-horns and car horn or just air horns.

I just had to drink a couple of 44 gallon drums of water to replace the swimming pool of water I lost.

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:42 am

Might be easier just to put A/F gauge on the exhaust and see what your engine is doing.

Have you checked the resistance of your HT leads?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:17 am

A big thanks goes out to RSR555 and DOUG for the help and loan of the Mig welder (thanks Doug)
this is how jetcars exhaust looked

this is how it looks now

I'm not a big fan of milo tins :( I'm pretty sure RSR did this on purpose

but I fixed 90% of the ricer drone with my own version of a restictor, not a milo tin but close.

I measured the restrictor and it is 4 inches in diameter the exhaust tip is just over 4 inches.

It can be removed by undoing one bolt and when it is out I can be heard 3 streets away.

As well you can't really see it but I lowered the rear coil overs by 35 mm. I ran into a motorcycle mad mate from work, who had the spanners to unlock the adjusters on the coil overs. the rear sits 5mm higher than the front now.

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Looking good toonga, when will the big rubber be added??

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:42 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Looking good toonga, when will the big rubber be added??

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie it has taken a while but I'm slowly getting there.

I'm going to put the tyres from my brumby on it shortly, just to see how they fit and how Jetcar drives with 215/65/14's.

then I will go from there. :)

finally found the picture :)

would love jetcar to look very similar to this

a few more pictures here

TOONGA

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 am

Happy to help anytime Jules. Glad to see an exhaust system that isn't held on by wire and cable ties :)

The original 13"s with rally tyres were the best

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:00 pm

TOONGA wrote:Image

would love jetcar to look very similar to this
Oh yeah! But I think your lift is way too big!!

I can't find the image of the BYB lifted vortex, it was metallic blue with yellow under bonnet details and ran an EJ22. Looked awesome.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “My Subi”