Dingos MY05 SG9 Forester XS

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Dingo

Dingos MY05 SG9 Forester XS

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi all, thought I'd start a thread for my Forester as it progresses. Its a 2005 2.5L NA M5 XS Forester. Since owning it I've added the ECB nudge bar, spotties, work lights, UHF and stereo.

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:57 pm

Installing the nudge bar, was done easily enough. ECB sticker came off as the noddy stuck it on with his eyes closed.

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 pm

Picked up a new combo (spot/spread) pair of Narva Taurus bull lights. Went as big as I could just for a laugh. I had to flog out the holes in the mounting tabs as these lights use an M16 bolt.

I did have a look around for some OEM foglight switches to use, but 1/16th the price I just chucked a Narva LED rocker switch into one of the blanks instead. All wired up properly through a relay so they only come on when my high beams are on, and then I can toggle whether I want them on or not.

The new spotties are really good, throw heaps of light. Don't rattle, shake or vibrate, which I was surprised about due to the length of the stalks. Haven't used them on corrugated roads yet though. If I had my chance again, I'd probably go for 2x spots rather than the spot/spread combo.

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 pm

I picked up a couple of pairs of cheap LED Running Lights the other week. Mounted one pair inside the cargo area, with the idea being I can flick them on when we get to a camping spot and light up a decent area behind the car so I can see what I'm doing. The lights also pivot on the brackets, so I can shoot one into the back of the car too if I need to. And they both work off the little rocker switch I mounted there in the trim panel. Came up alright I reckon for a $14 outlay.

Note: they're not as blue as they appear in the photos, and when the boot is shut they aren't visible from outside...

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:11 pm

I installed my UHF radio from my old car into the Forester. GME TX3200 radio and a RFI CD900 6.5db antenna, which is currently mounted on the front guard with a Z bracket, but eventually I want to get a tab welded onto my nudge bar and mount it down there.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Hi Dingo, nice looking Forester there. Im guessing your setting it up as an offroad vehicle?

I like what you have done with the lights. I need to do something like that in my Forester.

Taza

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi Taza, we like to go camping as much as we can, so more of a touring rig I guess, but it doesn't hurt to be able to get that little bit further than a regular car. Thanks for the comments.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 pm

Where in W.A are you located? Perth area?

My Forry is somewhere in the middle of being an offroader/touring vehicle. They seem to do a pretty good job at that. They go well offroad too with just under 2.5tonne total weight as I found out over the weekend. haha

Taza

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Yeah, we're in Perth. I've been really happy with the car since I've owned it (about 1.5yrs) The only things I wouldnt mind getting is some roofracks and a basket, and an Engel...

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed May 04, 2011 9:42 am

^ I bought some roofracks for mine and love them. Rhino Racks seem to look and fit well. 40% of the time im in the car there is something on the roof whether it be my kayak, bog planks, shovels, swags, fishing rods, camping chairs, etc... Its a good spot for swags as they take up so much room.
I am looking at an Engel or Waceo fridge but I have a decient esky for now so thats on hold. Trying to save for my Perth trip so I can get my new raised HD springs and body lift installed.

You should come along on with the Subaru 4WD Club of W.A's trip to Walga Rock on the 4th-6th of June if your not busy. Its the long weekend anyway. Will be a good chance to meet some new Subaru enthusiasts. Im going along but leaving from Gero.

My avatar is actually a pic of me with my Forester about 30km from Mt Magnet when i was last out that way :D

Regards
Taza

Dingo

Post by Dingo » Wed May 04, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm thinking about making my own custom roof basket, as I have an OzTent, which packs up to about 2m long, so at the moment it ends up going from the back of the car, to inbetween the front seats. Just a normal rectangular basket, but with an extended section so I can sit the OzTent in it securely. I suppose something that looks like a fat 'L' shape. I'm a draftee by trade so designing something shit hot should be easy enough.

Return to “My Subi”