My latest project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
TOONGA
Elder Member

My latest project

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 pm

this is my 1992 Liberty GX when I bought it, it had 138000 KM on the clock.

My wife was using it until she bought her TD forester (they offered her 2000 for it as a trade in I said no) now I use it to cart the kids to and from school and daycare.

recently the automatic box has been leaking badly from the front seal and has picked up the habit of changing into 2st at around 90km/h even if you don't want it to.

this is the solution a 1990 dual range 3.9 ratio box and diff.

I have everything else as well,console, pedal box and clutch cable, flywheel, startermotor and crossmember (a big thanks to Mr top-hat for the parts he supplied)

and if anyone has a liberty tailshaft for a manual gearbox in WA please get in contact as Im pretty sure it will cost more to fix the rubber seal in the second half of the shaft, than what it cost (it got thrown on the pallet for free :) )

now all I need is for my clutch to stop holidaying in Germany and a weekend free to put it all in :)

TOONGA

PS. let the spamming begin :)
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

any future plans of hektic 18inch chromies?

does it do good skids?

once these questions are answered i will tell you if its dope or has no hope

in all seriousness though., i think you should lift it abit and turn it into a nice lil beach tourer :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:16 pm

LOL I'm not sure if it will get 18" cromies but it will get a set of these

and the only way it could do a good skid at the moment is if I pulled the handbrake on :)

this dope you talk of, is it the one young people smoke in the guise of being cool, only to give themselves mental illness and/or brain damage, leading to the buying of 18" chromies off ebay?

Edit
would love to put in a kit with 3 inch tops and a 2 inch body lift

as well Im on the look out for the low range gears out of an L series box

TOONGA

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:26 pm

TOONGA wrote: this dope you talk of, is it the one young people smoke in the guise of being cool, only to give themselves mental illness and/or brain damage, leading to the buying of 18" chromies off ebay?
now now be nice, but....yes.

those rims will look good on her tho (the ones pictured)

goodluck with the gearbox swap :)
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 pm

I am sure there would be plenty of people that would be willing to swap a 5 speed tail shaft for your auto one. Tried Doug?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Yep.. 18" chromes would look the goods :)

and yeah.. anyone looking to do a 6spd swap would want that auto shaft
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 pm

TOONGA wrote:let the spamming begin :)
Ok :twisted:
TOONGA wrote:Image
Looks poxy mate! The 2 inch body lift with 3 inch struts would make a world of difference - then shove the outback struts under there and you'll have something like the frankenstien liberty that ScubyRoo was driving prior to his outback he's got now... That thing would've been crazy off road with the L low range if it made it there :(

Alex wrote:in all seriousness though., i think you should lift it abit and turn it into a nice lil beach tourer :)
Totally agree. I reckon you should also stroke it with an EJ25 crank and rods :D The missus will never know until she fills it with 95RON and it pings its tits off!
TOONGA wrote:and the only way it could do a good skid at the moment is if I pulled the handbrake on :)
What about that auto skid function your subi's developed? I bet that's fun dropping into 2nd at high speed!

Should be a reliable fun tourer once you've got her lifted and with three pedals infront of the driver ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 am

the long term plan is an EZ30 front cut but for now the EJ22 will do the job.

perhaps I should look at getting those subaru rims chromed. :) (when I have 4 of them)

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:18 am

TOONGA wrote:(when I have 4 of them)
Or get 3 of the same rim and run two of each style on the car with the matching pair on the same side, carry the two spare rims incase you get a flat - this way you can keep one side matching even in the event of a flat :mrgreen:

I've seen it done with hubcaps - but that seems to be the cheap and nasty way to do it!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:19 am

Go the EG33 :)

and I thought you had someone with another 4 of them rims?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:27 am

RSR 555 wrote:and I thought you had someone with another 4 of them rims?
Maybe he did - but forgot to pick up the rims :twisted: Jokes!

Can I start a side conversation about the difference in the EZ30 and the EG33 H6's?? I've got no idea about these codes and the meanings/differences!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 am

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 am

Argh! MORE off forum reading... starting to feel like I'm back at uni!

Thanks Paul!

Hey you wouldn't know a good set of adjustable air shocks that could be (relatively) retro fitted to the rear of the ol' L series off hand?

All I've found is the Monroe Gas Rider: MGR-502 for the late 60's/early 70's holden that might be the go. Just don't like the price :???:

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:42 am

RSR 555 wrote:Go the EG33 :)
So whats the advantage of the EG33? after reading the wiki link I'd reckon on face value of that simple information that the EZ30 would be the pick of that lot...

And plastic intake manifolds?! PFFFT! you know what you can do with that!

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 am

RSR 555 wrote:Go the EG33 :)
ah yes that's the one I was looking for I knew the designation I quoted was wrong but for the life of me I couldn't remember the engine code thanks "Dr Urabus"
RSR 555 wrote: and I thought you had someone with another 4 of them rims?
I do but I haven't got the cash to get them at the moment :( and the other plan is on hold as well for now.
El_Freddo wrote:So whats the advantage of the EG33? after reading the wiki link I'd reckon on face value of that simple information that the EZ30 would be the pick of that lot...
no Idea of the real advantage the EG33 I was told that was the one to use, it may have less gadgetry on the motor "Dr Urabus" will have to enlighten us on that :)

El_Freddo wrote:And plastic intake manifolds?! PFFFT! you know what you can do with that!

Cheers

Bennie
as for plastic manifolds, the EE20 in my wife's TD forester has a plastic manifold and it quite happily revs its little clackers off.

if it comes down to it I'm sure I could steal a tig welder from someone and manufacture a manifold from thin air.

good to see everyone was busy while I was asleep :)

TOONGA

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 am

Dropping into 2nd gear at random could be a faulty kick down switch (located above the accelerator pedal)

The EG33 is a 6cyl, 172kW version of the EJ22 and was fitted to the SVX Coupe. It has heaps of low down torque (309Nm) but being 33% longer than an EJ22, it doesnt leave much room in the engine bay for the radiator.

The EZ30D is the 6cyl from Gen3 H6 Outbacks and has around 161kW. Relatively easy swap, just upgrade the fuel pump. It has a timing chain and is not much longer than an EJ22. The later EZ30R is basically the same, but has AVCS (variable valve timing) and a plastic intake manifold and makes 180kW. The pick of the pair for power, but its a little more complicated (electric throttle, AVCS and returnless fuel system)
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:58 am

TOONGA wrote:as for plastic manifolds, the EE20 in my wife's TD forester has a plastic manifold and it quite happily revs its little clackers off.
I heard that some of the early EJ20'd foresters had a plastic manifold - and like many plastic engine parts that was subjected to heat for many years they started to have issues with cracks in them that allowed air leaks... This is the issue with them I believe. Performance wise I would imagine that they flow much smoother than a cast alloy intake does!

TOONGA wrote:good to see everyone was busy while I was asleep :)
Glad to hear someone had some good sleep last night. After a 4 hour "nap" after a huge day at work, then dinner, some tv then internet time I had the most broken sleep ever :(
Suparoo wrote:The later EZ30R is basically the same, but has AVCS (variable valve timing) and a plastic intake manifold and makes 180kW. The pick of the pair for power, but its a little more complicated (electric throttle, AVCS and returnless fuel system)
Interesting about the returnless fuel system, I didn't think they'd go back there with the EFI engine systems. It does sound like the pick of the bunch and is probably the most economical too. As for the drive by wire etc, where theres a will and a deep pocket, I'm sure there's a way too :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:44 am

El_Freddo wrote: Glad to hear someone had some good sleep last night. After a 4 hour "nap" after a huge day at work, then dinner, some tv then internet time I had the most broken sleep ever :(

Cheers

Bennie
I must have given myself the kiss of death Bennie I went to bed at around 9.30 pm and was up at 4.30 am this morning.

nice and quiet here with the family asleep still. :)

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:11 pm

TOONGA wrote:I must have given myself the kiss of death Bennie I went to bed at around 9.30 pm and was up at 4.30 am this morning.

nice and quiet here with the family asleep still. :)

TOONGA
Lucky you. Last night it was a 1.30am finish after a wedding gig then up this morning at 5:45 for the breakfast shift :( Looking forward to an early night tonight!

I'd be sleeping now but Kez took a nasty spill at work and hit her head badly on the tiles so I'm not letting her sleep till later. No symptoms of concussion so that's a bonus.

So any updates between last post and now :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:29 pm

No updates and no timeframe as to when the box will go in as the clutch kit is lost in transit and by no fault of the sender, luckily it is registered and insured post.

off to the wrecker tomorrow to see if I can find the last couple of missing pieces from the box, the plate that goes over the tunnel, and the pin that holds the cable into the selector for low and high range

TOONGA

Return to “My Subi”