My 1988 L Series GL Touring Wagon MPFI

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
vhr32

My 1988 L Series GL Touring Wagon MPFI

Post by vhr32 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi everyone,
This is my first Subaru :D
I originally bought it with stuffed CVs, bald tyres and no rego with plans to get it going just to have it for a fun car over summer car until I decide what sort of car I want to get but since I have discovered this forum and quite a lot of Google searching for info I think I am now hooked and want to keep it and make it better!

8/1988 L Series Touring Wagon GL 4WD
2" Hi-Rise Subaru body lift
14x6 wheels 215/65-14 tyres
EA82 MPFI, dual range manual, 3.7 diffs
P/s, a/c, c/lock, elec windows & mirrors, factory cargo blind
towbar and alloy bullbar

Everything works on it except the heater is disconnected so I suspect the core is leaking.

I fitted 4 new 6" speakers to the doors, some tweeters in the dash, a new head unit with iPod control and a 8" sub/amp combo I had sitting in the shed.
I am waiting on a Aerpro dash facia to finish it off.

I fitted two new front driveshafts to fix my CV noise.

Next on the list of things to do are :
fit some flexy flares and new mudflaps
fit some adj caster rods to push the tyre away from the mudflaps
Fit my slotted rotors and QFM pads
replace worn suspension bushes
fit new ball joints and tie rod ends
KYB's, King springs and new bump stops/boots front and rear
reco power steering rack
stop the rattling exhaust heat shields
I would really love to find a LSD

Unsure if the engine is still original but it's done nearly 300,000km and due for a timing belt kit/water pump/drive belts and needs a clutch
I thought it had a slight blown head gasket at first but I haven't looked at it closely yet but it does seem to run really well

I'd really love to do a EJ conversion on it and find an AWD gearbox with the L series low range, I am just not too keen on doing the wiring! :cool:

Matt

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi and welcome.
The car looks great. If you have a blown head just go EJ, you won't reget it at all. All the info you need is on this site, it's been covered do many times.
Keep us posted with what you do to the car:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Return to “My Subi”