Venom: H6 Gen2 Liberty GX

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 04, 2015 3:04 pm

It had 5+mm runout spinning up on the hoist. Had a straight edge on it and the shaft is bent between the joints.

Problem is back anyway. Was beautiful for about 75km, very quickly going back to how it was.

Same as when i swapped out the gearbox, it was perfect for about 50km then turned to shit again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 pm

I've just had a thought about this Venom,

When was the last time new driveshafts were fitted? And are they the 6 ball and cage style CV joints or the three plastic thingy setup? I've not heard good things about those three plastic thingy CV joints.

If there's slop in those, I bet that's where the issue is as I can't see anywhere else in the drive train that you'd have slop. Even with that shot uni joint you didn't have this much trouble - and it makes sense that if these haven't been swapped in ages it should be the issue. It could be worth tracking down a decent set of second hand units of the ball and cage style to drop in and see before going for a full blown new set.

Just a thought ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:01 pm

It's a nice thought, but I've already had every thought anyone has been able to think of. I've put 2 new sets of driveshafts in the front in the past 12 months. The Forester actually makes the same drivetrain engagement/disengagement kind of bouncing on / off accelerator noises, and so do most cars I've driven since looking for it. They don't make the car have a fit. The Liberty has no more or less backlash/drivetrain free play than any other car. There is literally nothing in the drivetrain that hasn't been swapped out. Motor to driveshafts, all of it. What I do believe is happening is that the ECU is reacting to the load on/off, adjusting the throttle or idle or god knows what. Maybe not. Google Subaru drivetrain bouncing, there are a few threads. Very very few with resolutions. The two most promising was Subaru swapped out every single sensor on someones car, and Subaru sent someones ECU away to get retuned. I've swapped IACV, TPS, front and rear oxygen sensor and MAP sensor. That's over $1,000 in sensors over the past 12 months. That's not including the 2 sets of front shafts, the 2 clutch kits and the second gearbox. Or the 3 weeks it spent at a mechanic who couldn't work this out either. I can't tune my ECU. I simply cannot spend another cent on this car replacing something that doesn't need replacing to fix a problem that I didn't really know the cause of. It's costing me less on a week to week basis to get a loan to buy an XT than buying parts for the Liberty, the economics simply do not work out in the Libertys favour. I haven't given up on the car, I've just done everything anyone can think of to fix it and it hasn't worked. I can't drive around in a car for 1.5 hours a day that feels like it's having an epileptic fit when I throttle on and off or change a gear. There is nothing left to try, short or rewiring in an aftermarket ECU in the hope that it is the ECU. I thought about it, then I thought about spending 5-6,000 on an ECU, wiring and tuning only to still have the same problem. **** that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Yes, it would be very frustrating. I hope the next owner tries a new tuneable ECU and resolves it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:43 pm

What is Al's opinion on all this? Have you discussed with him? He built the car.

Every H6 i have seen him do since this one has a vipec. I wonder if your issues are one of the reasons for that
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “My Subi”