My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying these rims for the Vortex (havent put the XT6 new brakes on it yet) but just wanted to know if these will fit the car without any issues:

http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15x6- ... SwIUNXFy9M

any help would be great

Thanks again

Regards
Johnny T

Bantum
General Member

Links ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Um ... linky not working, but if tis what I'm thinking - Are you going for a 5 stud wheel ? There's a good reference page on here too ... :cool: So from what I've understood, you got to make sure the wheel clears the brake callipers & swing arm / suspension components, along with suitable offset to stay within arches ... ;) Can't say much on the specific rim, as link did'nt show ... :(

Sorry suspension is not my area of expertise ... But if you want to fix the air suspension ( is it just leaking or bit more than that ? ) try & find the leaks ... ( Usually the plastic air lines are the culprit from what I've heard ) - If you're going to swap 'em out, I'd go for Standard L series suspension as a temporary measure until you can find replacement bits - anything more advanced I would do a search for conversions that others have done ... ;)

I hope that helps ... :D

Ciao, Bantum ...

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi everyone

I'll be putting on the new break hubs on in few weeks time and I also need a new set of wheels, (will be posting picture of the install)

I would like to know what Offset & Size I can use before I go to my local tire & rim shop.

Hope to get some feedback soon. Thanks again for everyone help :)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 am

Hi guys

Just had a quick question on doing an engine swap as I am looking into getting a FA20 from a BRZ (complete with manual gear box, looms ecu and keys) for around $6,000.
I just wanted to know what’s involved and will the 4wd system still work as the engine will be from a rwd car or do I have to get an engine from a WRX?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm not sure about the engine to gearbox stud pattern is, it may be different to the EJ stud pattern thus an EJ AWD box may not fit.

There's more investigation needed on your end. I believe the FB engine is wider than the EJ - might not be an issue for the space required with the EA82... Whole wiring loom - is it a BUS system that needs to talk with the radio and other accessories? Does it come with the key fob for the security system to work?

Lots of things to check out to ensure you're not wasting 6G, but a cool drivetrain to have in the wedge that'd make it a unique and crazy setup!

I hope you go through with it and there aren't any hiccups that turn you away from the conversion!

Cheers

Bennie

PS - got any of those pics mentioned in above posts??
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi all

just managed to take some photos of the new vortex and I will be working on my black one tomorrow and keep everyone updated.

let me know what you guys think :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Looks very clean!

The front bar doesn't bother me but I don't know the difference! You'll have to find out if they're a direct swap - if I were a betting man I'd say they are.

Your black interior will look good against that green of the body. Brown interior is so 70's that it should've been left there.

Is the plan to drive this one while you fix up the other one good and proper?

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for that Bennie.

The plan is to put all the good bits into the green one from my black vortex (my turbo engine and running gear etc...) get this painted black and finish off the project. Unfortunately I will have to get rid of the original black vortex as I don't have enough cash to do the roof repair but keep as much as I can for spares :)

When the green vortex is fully complete I'll be posting a parts list for sale as I don't need the suspension , disk breaks....

Later on I'm going to save up for a fa20 and go either rwd turbo or super charged and make it a sleeper weekend car :) but for now just doing the big swap and will post more progress tomorrow

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 pm

that is a great score Johnny ... that is the first in tact dash surround I've ever seen look after it as they are rarer that the rear discs

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks for the reply guys :)

Well I do have some great new. I managed to get the Black Vortex Started after so many years. My mechanic and I removed all the fuel lines, cleaned them out (using a mini air compressor) and relined every line and then it fired up :)

So now I can start the full converson as soon as my new Garage is completed and going to be posting heaps of updates :)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Hey guys,

I know I have asked this question before, I am looking to put the XT6 hubs on next weekend and wanting to get the coil over this week, just wanted to know what ones to get as I will be going to pedders suspenion. Do I ask them for a set of 95 WRX Coils and I know they are not a direct bolt as you will have to drill new holes for them to fit, would I need anything else besides the Coils?

Thanks again for everyone's help :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 am

Rear end you're probably better off asking for coil overs for a Gen3 liberty as they have a very similar coil/shock setup out back. I've not tried swapping these onto the L series but I know they're a better fit than a McPherson strut for the rear.

Front end it probably doesn't really matter so much as the strut is basically the same. Heights of the spring hat might be different but going coil over that really isn't an issue.

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 am

Thanks Bennie for the advise again :)

I'll have a chat with the guys this weekend (if nothing else pops up)

just cant wait to start the new project and have a running turbo vortex :)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 am

Hi guys

just an update, I am going to start the engine swap soon and when I remove the motor out from the Green Vortex I am looking to sell the it with gear box (this is the non turbo motor and 3sp Auto approx 216,000k's) but not sure if I am asking too much to sell it at 500$ together. Can someone give me some advise if I am asking too much for it?

Thanks again for everyones help

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 pm

Chuck it up on Gumtree at that price and see what you get. $500 gives you room to move and negotiate.

You never know what you'll get. Beware though, you'll probably get some real low ballers trying it on with you.

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for the advice Bennie.

When everything is out of this car and if its not gone within a week I'll be giving it to the wreckers (only problem of having spares is space lol)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am

Just a small update.

I have started to do the conversion and now have both cars on stands, removed the wheels and have removed the rear diff and rear axle. Only problem I am having is removing the front hub from the Green Vortex as it is pretty stuck. I have used an impact wrench and a breaker bar with an extension for more torque but still won’t budge (even sprayed the wd40). Is there another way of removing the stubborn hubs because I am tempted of getting a angle grinder and just cutting it off completely lol.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Looking good mate!

Front hub, are you talking about the 36mm castellated nut? If so I've always cracked these with the tyre on the ground with 3/4 inch drive breaker bar by jumping on the breaker bar.

On stands I've found that trying to crack this nut only results on spinning the hub due to the hand brake not able to hold the torque that's applied.

Cheers

Bennie

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

If it's on a stand get your significant other to sit in the car and press hard on the brake pedal. But yes, much easier with a wheel attached and jumping on the breaker bar. Force + speed works best, not just force.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 pm

I'd be interested in the gearbox...can you lmk if still available.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Return to “My Subi”