My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:34 am

Thanks for the advice Bennie.

When everything is out of this car and if its not gone within a week I'll be giving it to the wreckers (only problem of having spares is space lol)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 am

Just a small update.

I have started to do the conversion and now have both cars on stands, removed the wheels and have removed the rear diff and rear axle. Only problem I am having is removing the front hub from the Green Vortex as it is pretty stuck. I have used an impact wrench and a breaker bar with an extension for more torque but still won’t budge (even sprayed the wd40). Is there another way of removing the stubborn hubs because I am tempted of getting a angle grinder and just cutting it off completely lol.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Looking good mate!

Front hub, are you talking about the 36mm castellated nut? If so I've always cracked these with the tyre on the ground with 3/4 inch drive breaker bar by jumping on the breaker bar.

On stands I've found that trying to crack this nut only results on spinning the hub due to the hand brake not able to hold the torque that's applied.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

If it's on a stand get your significant other to sit in the car and press hard on the brake pedal. But yes, much easier with a wheel attached and jumping on the breaker bar. Force + speed works best, not just force.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:34 pm

I'd be interested in the gearbox...can you lmk if still available.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:57 am

Just an update

Managed to install the rear diff into the new car but will need to drill new holes for the cross members to fit (not sure if i am calling it the correct part) and installed the rear shocks :)

The next part I will need to do is put the rear brakes, so far I haven’t had any major issues.

I will be removing the air suspension from my black Vortex (looks good super low at the moment when its not bolted to the rear axle). If I'm going to sell the air suspension how much would they be worth and also where is the control box for it or is it in the ECU?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Looks good low ;)

Dunno what air suspension is worth... I'm sure someone will pick it up - chuck it up on gumtree.

Before you do, I'd be keen to see pics, particularly of the rear shocks ;)

The rear crossmember that you talk about is commonly known as the mustache bar...

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:51 am

Hi everyone

Just an update. I have tried to install the rear breaks from the XT6 and came across a bit of a problem with connecting the break caliper to the backing plate. The issue I have is that the backing plate from the XT4 is to small for the XT6 Caliper on as the backing plate bolt holes for the calipers are 15mm too small. Is there anywhere I can get a set of XT6 backing plates sent over to Australia or would another backing plate from an older impreza fit? Worst case I will have to find a fabricator and get it custom adjusted.

The other issue I have that I will be removing the engine from my black Vortex and trying to find in the service manuals on the instructions on what I need to do. I have opened "1988 Service Manual Section 2 & 3" Section 2.11 and not getting much help as the note for engine removal only states the removal for the er27 engine and not the ea82, would the steps still be the same as the XT6 Engine? Also can anyone direct me on to what page in the service booklet I need to look up so I can get the engine and gearbox out correctly?

Thanks again everyone for all the advice

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:26 am

Can't quote page references but the EA82 removal will be about the same as the ER27, except for the small differences with the turbo stuff.

Gearbox procedure should be the same.

As for rear backing plates, you can use the EJ gear but may have to drill a new hole for the single rear bolt. The EJ has 4 bolts in a square pattern.

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks Bennie

would any EJ plates work?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I don't know as I haven't done it myself, I just know that this is the go with the EJ brake conversion.

I do know that Gen1 stuff definitely works. They will still need mods to fit, drill a hole as mentioned.

Cheers

Bennie

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 am

Johnny T wrote:Just an update
I will be removing the air suspension from my black Vortex (looks good super low at the moment when its not bolted to the rear axle). If I'm going to sell the air suspension how much would they be worth and also where is the control box for it or is it in the ECU?
Been away for awhile. Didn't realise this forum was still up & running :p
Did you end up selling the air shocks?
And were they still holding air?

I'm fixing up an import Turbo touring wagon & these were already swapped out. Was about to start ripping out the air line & compressor, etc, but if I could get the shocks...
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 am

Hey Wagonist,

I have sent you a PM

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 pm

How's this little project bubbling these days?

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Bennie,

Sorry haven't has much time to post or do much as my better half and I are prepping up a nursery for our little one in October, so this project maybe on hold again lol :)

Everything is going well, I have the engine out, front struts in and should be putting the backing plates in a few weeks as I'm getting them made with a laser cutter.

The next step is for me is to get the 3sp Auto out and get the car rolling so the bay can get painted. fingers crossed this will be done by the end of next month :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Get all projects/book read on your book list/sleep done before the little one arrives!

And don't worry about the nursery, they'll sleep where ever you put them :p

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi everyone, just a small update.

I am picking up my backing plates tomorrow night (got them laser cut to fit the rear hubs) and just trying to find where to buy a new set of disc (front and rear) for when they can't be used as I have them machined and was told they will last for another 20,000k - 30,000k before I need to find replacements. Would anyone know where I can get a set of XT6 brake discs?

Thanks again and more photos to come shortly in the next few weeks :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 am

If you've got Xt6 gear, you can run what ever EJ brake kit you want, at least up to the Gen3's stuff.

Plenty of options in the Gen1 and Gen2s ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 am

Hi guys

just an update, I have both engines out and had my Turbo checked by my mechanic (its in good condition) but and I am after a gasket for the turbo to the exhaust as it damaged. I know that findings a new one is out of the question but would anyone know where I can get a good second hand one from?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 am

A TD04 one off a WRX should be close enough, the only difference is the rear hole in the flange is about 10mm further back
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “My Subi”