A little treat for Brumby lovers

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:10 am

This is one of a few pictures I took a few days ago...the project is not finished yet, when the bodywork is completed I'll post more pictures.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:18 am

Another photo...I was really happy with the job they've done to the tailgate, and they have (it appears) even managed to keep my factory 1800 4WD sticker (see my display picture) which I was quite particular about.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Coming along VERY nicely... :mrgreen:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:47 pm

very nice Damo now you look after that brumby

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Not done yet! Anybody notice the wheel change?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:51 pm

I have a pair of Narva Ultima 160/115 lamps here which I was considering fitting to the front...however I don't want to ruin the look of the front nor do I want to affect air flow into the radiator too much. Comments? I probably won't put them on at this stage.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Also see my wanted thread here:
vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=1160

Anybody know where I can get a new "OK" sticker for my drivers' door? Doesn't have to be Subaru, I assume other Japanese auto makers used similar stickers at the time. This is how genuine I want to keep this car.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:27 am

phantomD wrote:Also see my wanted thread here:
vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=1160

This is how genuine I want to keep this car.
Way to go Damo ! Stick to your guns and you will have a brumby to be very proud of !

Its looking good from this side of the world mate :mrgreen:

Can just see ya wheels too - much better looking eh?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

Hazey

Post by Hazey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 am

Keep an eye on your letterbox early next week, Damo... there is something that is super-overkill packaged heading your way as of this Tuesday gone.

Ute looks brilliant, even at it's "not ready yet" stage. My only thought about the lighting- if you're looking for a good improvement but don't want to go as far as fitting Narvas, try and find a halogen headlight assembly from a late 90s Hilux/Rodeo/Bravo/Courier and run the best globes you can get a hold of. Sealed beams are just plain terrible at night, even if you went through and redid all the relays and wiring.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am

i think i spotted this little beauty at Mt Gravatt Bowling last nite, its so clean it stood out a mile away

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Keep an eye on your letterbox early next week, Damo... there is something that is super-overkill packaged heading your way as of this Tuesday gone.
Thank you!!

And thank you to all of you for your kind comments...I'm just waiting on a few finishing touches and then I'll post up a proper set of photos. The car now has Liberty seats in it, very nice and comfy, cheers SubaRute!

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Has anbody got any suggestions about upgrades that I should consider doing to this car? I'm not interested in an engine swap. Also I've just discovered that a certain something won't be ready until after mid January, and I'd really rather not post photos until the thing is on the car.

When I do post photos I'll also detail some of my plans for this car...which I'm sure will get some people excited on here.

sholinguteman

Post by sholinguteman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:59 am

just come across this , great project ! Look forward to seeing the results. "MO"

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:29 am

Hi all,

I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to get my act together with this project. :( I am loathe to post pictures of the car until this stage of refurbishment is finished, however if it's still not ready after this week then I will just need to get over myself and post the pictures or it'll never happen.

Stage 2 promises to be even more exciting with some serious playing around under the bonnet...but I won't let the cat out of the bag yet. :mrgreen:

Cheers.

PS
The car looks like it's just rolled off the production line! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 am

You sure know how to tease the hell out of us...waiting..still waiting:rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:35 am

it is just teasing....read the post above " not interested in engine swap" ,

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I have been incredibly busy recently, so my apologies for the lack of photos. The item I was waiting for was the tonneau cover which has had a bit of work done to it. I used to be good at this night shot thing, but I'm a bit rusty behind the camera at the moment due to my workload!

A big thank you to "FROG" for finding me one of these.

And a big thank you to "Hazey" for sending me one of these.

I've done a bit of playing around - the steel wheels are gone, as are the factory seats. The car has a Maxima 90A alternator (:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:) which is very impressive indeed. After a bit of a struggle the air conditioner is now working properly, the problem was that the TX valve was seized OPEN in the evaporator unit. The car has been tinted and there are probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Plans for this car:
  • I'd like to find a twin carb engine, overhaul it and fit it to the vehicle to preserve low milage of the current EA81 (not even 40 000km...for the moment). If I cannot find one soon then the current EA81 will be doing a LOT of driving. I already have some twin carbs but I'd like the matching engine as well. As a student I can't afford too much but here's hoping that something might work out.
  • Replace exhaust system with 2 1/4 inch cat back, possibly from the block if I find a twin carb engine. Currently my exhaust system is leaking just forward of the passenger compartment due to a dud repair under the previous owner - is this bad rust wise?
  • Fit rear discs
  • Upgrade lighting - L series interior light, relays for headlights, replace headlights with semi sealed beams. Maybe fit some spotties.
  • Fit power steer
  • Find 4 wheel caps buying new if possible
  • Install electronic rust prevention
  • Maybe some audio improvements
  • Work on the body some more - I'd like to find some mudflaps (both front and rear) in good condition, passenger door trim, etc.
  • Look after it and drive it
I'd like to thank everybody on this forum for their generous help and support - there are too many specific people to list - but I am most indebted and appreciative for the knowledge and wisdom imparted.

If anybody would like a twin carb engine they know of to live on in this car, I would love to hear from you. I'd definitely like to keep things "EA81", hopefully this much loved little ute will live on for a long time to come.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:17 pm

And this...isn't the end of the updates folks, if you can put up with a little time lapse in between some of the updates. Also I have a few "wanted" threads going at the moment, including this one: showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=19414

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 am

The Maxima 90A alternator trick worked eh?Gonna contribute how hard/easy it was then Phantom?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm

Putting it in was the easy bit - it bolted right up in place of the factory alternator (albeit at maximum adjustment). The problem was finding one...and then I got a dud so it had to be repaired.

The instructions on USMB are very good - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=100559

Return to “My Subi”