Venom: H6 Gen2 Liberty GX

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun May 04, 2014 8:40 am

El_Freddo wrote:Sounds like a smart move on the H6 replacement engine. I'm considering the same for mine (EJ though :rolleyes:) but I have a stupid sentimental attachment to it :???:
Good news for your engine I guess Benny, but that is unfortunate you feel like that haha

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun May 04, 2014 2:58 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Sounds like a smart move on the H6 replacement engine. I'm considering the same for mine (EJ though :rolleyes:) but I have a stupid sentimental attachment to it :???:

I like the air box - snorkel next? :twisted: Can you get a factory pipe from the airbox to the throttle body, that IMO will really set off the factory look!

Keep up the good work mate!

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie ;) No really interested in a snorkel. Even water over the bonnet shouldn't enter my air intake where it is. I could move it up the guard though with flexible pipe I suppose. Got a few other priorities right now anyway. Just happy to have a well sealed and stock standard air filter.

Bennie you have some strange sentimentality at times :D I personally have very little even for my car. My vested interest is mainly that it serves my varied needs extremely well and is virtually irreplaceable. As far as individual parts? Whatever is the most efficient way to go when on limited time and funds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 am

Always exciting when parts are in the mail! Waiting on a full H6 gasket kit (genuine!) and genuine thermostat, LIC aluminum half-moon plugs, solid center prop shaft mounts, Exedy HD clutch kit, new set of Iridium spark plugs (farkin expensive!!!!), gold brushed GTB dash and trim inserts, zerospors front grill (kinda ugly but we'll see), Tein front bonnet damper kit.

Found a bloke to fabricate a new radiator for me. After looking over my car he was telling me that in many engine conversions the biggest problem for cooling is the lack of space between the motor and radiator. The lack of space prevents airflow as high air pressure forms between the motor and radiator. Bigger radiator and bigger fans only contribute to worsening the problem. So the plan is to relocate the condenser in front of the bonnet latch support bar. He'll then build me a radiator to fit where the condenser currently sits. This should give mean extra 2 or 3" to play with! He's also fabbing up a full alluminium shroud to house 2 12" Spal fans. The cores this guy sources are all 1-off hand made and he uses them to cool 1000hp+ turbo and twin turbo V8's, so it should be ample for a stock little H6.

Overall this will give me more space behind the radaitor (=better flow), thicker 26mm core which will also be more efficient than stock, space for the lower radiator house which currently fouls on the motor, upgrade from 1 fan and a half shroud to the full monty shroud and twin fans.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Yeah.. should be able to withstand the H6 awesomeness :)

Gotta love when prezzies arrive :) Can't wait to see the engine build :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue May 06, 2014 12:48 pm

A second Christmas! :twisted:

Thats a heap of nice bits you're getting, esp the radiator work. Let me know if you need some help putting it all in
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Wed May 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Picked up a set of H6 rear brakes from PAP, but didn't realise they were actually bigger.

Comparing the rotors.

The dust shield on the backing plate was too small so i ripped it off.

Bigger is better :)

H6 rotors and calipers fitted up on the RH side.

LH side :)

Pretty happy with the results. Also have some plans for a slight brake upgrade upfront as well, Landcruiser front pads fit into the Suby 4 pot caliper but have a bigger pad area. However engine first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:16 pm

I did kinda the same to my rears on my 98 Outback. I used B4 Liberty brakes and found the backing plate interfered but I just push the backing plate back towards the inside of the car.. still looks odd if you point it out but a quick glance (like the licence guys will do) and all looks sweet :)

That's good info on the 4 spot caliper pads :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm

Its a good little upgrade :) DB1365 for cruiser 4pot pads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 pm

Venom wrote:Bennie you have some strange sentimentality at times :D I personally have very little even for my car. My vested interest is mainly that it serves my varied needs extremely well and is virtually irreplaceable. As far as individual parts? Whatever is the most efficient way to go when on limited time and funds.
Yeah I know. But this engine has served me very well, I know where it's been and what it's been subjected to. I also think it's a good base to begin with...

Bit odd about those rear brakes - but good to see you've got another brake upgrade! Interesting about the interchangeable parts with the pads - more of this should have been occurring a long time ago!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sat May 10, 2014 3:57 pm

So my spare tyre doesn't fit in the wheel well now its a 225/70R15. Even bolted firmly down it's just too fat. So I threw all my recovery gear in the wheel well included my hand winch.

Then I remembered I had some d-shackle mounting brackets so I figured I may as well use them.

Pretty neat I think. 4 would have been better but I only had 3 so I had to make do.

Then I adapted a baby-seat restraint to one of the cargo barrier mounts so i could secure my spare tyre off to one side. That gave me enough room to move my new sub in the back and off the back seat.

The trim in the rear needs to be replaced so I've just left it out for now.

Also have a rear step-panel thingy to put on after I spent the morning peeling off the double-sided tape from it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun May 11, 2014 11:58 am

Rear step panel fitted up. Looks a lot better.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Beatrush prop/tailshaft mounts came in today, as well as the aluminium half moon plugs.

Old vs. New.

Installed

Clutching into gear feels smoother and so does the change from from on/off throttle.

Thought the prop mounts might cure the bunny hoping my car does when applying throttle at low speeds or going over a speed bump. Nothing to do with gear changes so hoping the new clutch/pressure plate cures it... this problem has been annoying me for years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Venom wrote:Thought the prop mounts might cure the bunny hoping my car does when applying throttle at low speeds or going over a speed bump. Nothing to do with gear changes so hoping the new clutch/pressure plate cures it... this problem has been annoying me for years.
Let me know when you get to the bottom of it, my Brum is doing the same thing really bad lately...thought maybe it's the worn out crunchy CV joints having lots of backlash in them, how old are your joints?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Pretty new, less than 2 years old. Next thought was it could be a heat scorched flywheel, maybe pressure plate? I do get flywheel chatter when engaging clutch. I'll tick those off when I do the motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue May 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Venom wrote:Next thought was it could be a heat scorched flywheel, maybe pressure plate? I do get flywheel chatter when engaging clutch. I'll tick those off when I do the motor.
I thought you had a new clutch plate plus machined the flywheel, not sure about the pressure plate
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm

I did. Can't remember when the shudder started, certainly possible they were cooked since. Maybe pressure plate wasn't heavy enough? No idea....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 am

Take this thing...

Glue some of this on...

Then glue some of this on....

Old door panel...

Better door panel with retrimmed insert

Installed

Pretty big difference.

My old door panels were almost worn completely through so the new (s/h) ones have made a difference. The new insert looks neat too! Just need to find some rear door cards in good condition to finish off the job.

Also after some different front seats, maybe Gen3 GTB if I can find them. Leather rear seats would be cool too, that way everything is black but that trim insert.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 15, 2014 11:01 am

Amazing what a difference those inserts make, nice job :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri May 16, 2014 11:44 am

I've always thought I should do this to the L series to freshen up the interior a bit. I gather that is some kind of very thin spongy foam, then some kind of stretchy fabric? Are they specifically automotive products or did you get them from some kind of textile shop?
Just using spray-on glue?

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri May 16, 2014 5:05 pm

The padding is called wadding and my mum uses it in her quilts. She gets it from spotlight. Pretty sure its standard fabric kinda stuff. More like fabric than a foam. The fabric was also from spotlight too and nothing special. Should do the job since its not a hard wearing spot. And yeah I just used a spray on adhesive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “My Subi”