Impreza swap time (& possible lift?)

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
theconcierge

Post by theconcierge » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:49 pm

looking good mate. can i ask how much you picked the wreak up for?

damo666

Post by damo666 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi there - the blue one was $900.

damo666

I am very excite!

Post by damo666 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Another good day in the shed (my wife is being very kind....not sure what she wants).

I got the body loom out of the sedan and stuck that in. No big issues, it was slightly different to the wagon loom, as the wagon splits at the front with the tail-light wiring for each side separating across near the handbrake and running down its own side - the sedan runs all down the drivers side, with both tail-light plugs running across the back of the car.

Once that was in, the rest of the dash and interior went back in without incident.
Carpet and seats and other trim after that, and the interior is done!

I also stuck in the ABS pump and swapped all the brake lines over, so the engine bay is ready now too. Just need to get the engine ready and plop it in, and we can hit the road.

I know its a pretty factorty standard 2ltr Impreza....but I am grinning like an idiot. Cant wait to get it going!!

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Looking good, you make it look easy:) Currently rewiring/refitting my Suzuki SN413. Taken way to long...

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 am

Could I make a suggestion, rip the seats out again and mix a bucket or two of soapy water, pour it all over them and hit them with a high pressure cleaner, I've done it to plenty & they come up like brand new, they only take a day out in the sun to dry, carpets and door trims too.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:37 am

A wet dry Vacuum would stop the seats from going mouldy or being wet when they went back into the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWACoXxzl9Y

it even does power tools (bulging eyes)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am

These guys are onto something. Last weekend I hired a Britax unit from the local supermarket to clean the carpet at home. Also did the seats in the wagon, 18years of country dust, city soot and coastal spray gone. Worth the effort :D

damo666

Post by damo666 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:50 am

Yep, fair call. I was so happy to be actually putting stuff back in that I didnt take too much attention to the state of the seats.

Its a nice sunny day here today, and I am unlikely to find the motivation to do it later when the car is running, so I pulled them back out this morning, washed, and gave them a hit with the Karcher. They are currently drying in the sun.

Thanks for the tip, keep em coming!

theconcierge

Post by theconcierge » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 am

looking great - wish i had the skills to do something similar

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:07 am

You can do the door trims on the car too, just make sure you point away from the electrics.

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:39 am

Now that you have the sedan loom in, what have you done in regards to hooking up your rear wiper? Been over 3 years since I did this same conversion (except I used WRX driveline) and I still am yet to get around to doing the rear wiper...

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

When I did the rear wiper conversion on the Liberty sedan I just ran new wires down to the back and used a push button for the squirters and a spare driving light button for the wiper, works great except the wiper stops where you turn it off but you get used to stopping it at the bottom.

You can see them just above the indicator stalk

damo666

Post by damo666 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm

For the moment I'm not going to bother, and have left the rear wiper disconnected. I was actually going to pull it all out of the tailgate (that0.5kg will make my n/a beast sooo much faster!).

I cant remember the last time i used the rear wiper in my other wagon - do you miss it much?

Love the photo d_generate...testing the speed cut?

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

damo666 wrote:For the moment I'm not going to bother, and have left the rear wiper disconnected. I was actually going to pull it all out of the tailgate (that0.5kg will make my n/a beast sooo much faster!).

I cant remember the last time i used the rear wiper in my other wagon - do you miss it much?

Only really miss it if it is pissing with rain and I am reversing into the rain. That said, I have an STI tailgate on my wagon so the larger spoilers actually deflect alot of water away from the window.

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:27 am

damo666 wrote:For the moment I'm not going to bother, and have left the rear wiper disconnected. I was actually going to pull it all out of the tailgate (that0.5kg will make my n/a beast sooo much faster!).

I use mine all the time but the car lives outside (WRX must live in gge because of insurance) and it hasn't been washed for 2yrs come next month so it's always grubby, I use the wagon one but not as often because like Corry I have the STI wings.

Yeah speed cut is a pain in the arse as it comes up so fast, I've had a speed cut defender and a 260kph speedo for 3yrs but like everything else I'm too slack to fit them, I haven't even driven the poor old thing for about 3 weeks:(

damo666

Post by damo666 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 am

Cool. I have a set of STI wings for it here too, so will leave the wiper for the moment.
Thanks guys.

damo666

Post by damo666 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:26 pm

A few weeks since the last update, and not a whole lot more to report on (damn 35+deg days!).

Phase 1 is pretty much complete. All mechanicals and interior are in, fluids are topped off, and its 99% a living car again. I also picked up a set of 16" WRX rims off a mate cheap.

Just waiting on a new set of silver gaurds to be shipped down from QLD, and I can bolt on the front panels and take it off to try and re-rego it.....looking forward to that!!

After that I'll have to think about what next. A window tint is on the cards, as is sticking the STi spoilers on, and I think i'll try one of those ebay double din stereo's.
Then to think about lifting it or not?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Wow thats looking great Damo. Just like off the production line but with the human touch:)

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Looking good, how did the seats come out after the clean up?

damo666

Post by damo666 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

d-generate - the seats came up a treat after the wash. I should have done it in the first place!

A few more little things ticked off the list;

-> Stuck the 'little' wing on the back
-> Whilst chasing the reason for the centre brake light not working (which included pulling all the bloody wiring out of the tailgate...) I got the sh*ts and yanked out the rear wiper, and plugged the hole.
-> Scored a $50 towbar off a bloke from work, and put it on.
-> Finally found what seems to be the only set of silver GC8 gaurds in the country (!), and put the front end back together. Blue bonnet & bar will probably stay that way till I can find some cheap silver ones.

Just need to stick the 'big' wing on the back, also need to work out why the drivers pwr mirror is not working. That will be about it before rego check & try to get some plates on it.

Total cost is currently under $2700, so pretty happy with what I have got for that price!

Return to “My Subi”