pezimm's Mighty XT

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm

So far i rate my Dunlop AT3's on everything. Haven't had any tractions problems rain, hail or shine and they have yet to let me down off-road. I have them on all the time. I have heard some negative feedback in regards to sidewall punctures on the previous model (AT2). So for $5 a tyre i bought tyre insurance with Beaurepaires which covers free puncture repairs for the life of the tyre, and if it can't be repaired they replace it with a new tyre for free. Doesn't matter how or where you got the puncture, and any Beaurepaires store will handle the replacement/repair.

Shop around for prices, i think i paid anbout $250 each for mine but that was with a friends/family discount. Full retail price on AT3's is around the $350 mark i think.

Cheers,
Rhys
pezimm wrote:They are! I'm eyeing a couple sets of 16" wheels on ebay at the moment... Should have more on that by the end of the week!

Then it will just be a matter of choosing the tyres... I'm actually taking any recommendations on that. Short-listed are: Yoko Geolandar AT-S, General Grabber ($$ & hard to find), and Dunlop Grandtrek

Venom, any feedback on your set of Dunlops will be appreciated! Do you have them on 100% of the time?

I know ScubyRoo backs his BF Goodrich AT's, but I'm not sure how much plastic surgery I'd have to do to make them fit (if they fit at all)... Would you know, Owen?

Rgs,
Pedro.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Hey Pedro,

I use this tyre size calculator quite a bit:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

So long as you know the original size of your tyre (look at the placard on your driver's side step) you will be able to calculate how far out your speedo will be and most importantly, how much bigger your overall diameter will be... remember VSI8 says no more than 15mm bigger if you want to keep it clean with your insurance company. 215/65/16 is generally the smallest most AT tyres go down to and not available from all brands. 215/70/16 is available from pretty much everyone and a good size tyre - more than 15mm in my case though as my stock wheels are only 15" :(

In terms of trimming, the tire brand wont make a difference - its the overall diameter that will be the deciding factor... on my outback I get a little rub on the body only at a particular part of the turning lock under compression, otherwise no rub or trimming required with the 215/70/16 and that's without lift or raised springs.

Yep very happy with my bfg's, although I think this'll be their last winter before I need to replace them...

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

pezimm

Some news from my corner...

Post by pezimm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey guys,

This morning I dropped by the tyre shop and finally got some new tyres!

This is what was left after I got the new ones in:

And the brand new ones are.... (drum roll)
Yokos AT/S 215/60R17 - I know, I know, but I really wanted to keep my wheels...

Nevermind the gutter rash (I think it was actually a rock)

And the final product:

The new tyres got me another 10mm of clearance, so I'm now around +30mm on stock.

It's looking good for the South Oz - Robe trip!!

Happy Christmas everyone!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Nice!

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 pm

A nice little shot of the tyres' first outing - credits to my lovely wife!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm

pezimm wrote:A nice little shot of the tyres' first outing - credits to my lovely wife!

Sweet - somewhere Hotham by any chance??? I can at least tell that your high up :D

Looks like a good set of wheels for the excursion to Robe :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Sweet - somewhere Hotham by any chance??? I can at least tell that your high up :D

Looks like a good set of wheels for the excursion to Robe :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
You've got a good photographic memory, mate! This is Danny's Lookout just as you approach Hotham...

Really looking forward to the trip to SA!

Have a great new year's,
Pedro.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm

pezimm wrote:You've got a good photographic memory, mate! This is Danny's Lookout just as you approach Hotham...

Really looking forward to the trip to SA!
Not really - I have severe trouble remembering new names and faces about 5 seconds after shaking their hand even despite my best efforts to remember them! Not good in a classroom that's for sure! As for the location, it just looked familiar so to took a punt :D

SA's a green light all the way for you?! Hope so! I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers

Bennie

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Now all you need is an exhuast that reminds us all that you have a 2.5L turbo :mrgreen:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 am

ScubyRoo wrote:Now all you need is an exhuast that reminds us all that you have a 2.5L turbo :mrgreen:
Or one that just opens up the subi beat to let us know you've still got a flat four in there :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:SA's a green light all the way for you?! Hope so! I'm looking forward to it!
That's a YES for SA!!

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Alright, I got tired of driving around with my spare tyre bouncing around in the boot and decided the Sunday project of choice was to make it fit in the spare wheel well, where it belongs!

Got my sledge hammer, quite a bit of cardboard (I couldn't find a block of hard wood or something), removed all the polystyrene flooring in the boot and got busy!!

The last photo before the carnage began

The first of my many bashing sessions

I took a slow and steady approach, placing the tyre in the well every so often to check for fitting.

End result for the Sunday is shown below - some trimming to the polystyrene required

And with the lid closed

It's not 100% there yet - maybe 2-3mm out from full close - but the last touches will be done another time with a smaller hammer!

Pedro.

Return to “My Subi”