Help Transmission/Differential Identification through serial numbers

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
CosmicKoala

Help Transmission/Differential Identification through serial numbers

Post by CosmicKoala » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am

Hi,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I currently have a 2011 WRX Gearbox (5sp Manual), Flywheel, Clutch and Rear Diff with only 2000km on all components. I inherited this drivetrain for free, and this is the reason behind wanting to utilise it. Can someone help me identify the transmission/Diff to confirm what I have; Gearbox TY758VWABA 680653-GB and Diff 328A S62 (H and K random letters on diff)? While I am currently reading through posts of this nature to extract knowledge from all the Subaru experts, I can’t seem to find the info in any posts. Maybe I’m just a newbie!
Cheers, Matty.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Help Transmission/Differential Identification through serial numbers

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:17 pm

G’day Matty,

This conversion was done many times over and is considered an easy conversion these days as it’s so well known. I’ve not done one myself but have been around long enough to know what’s basically involved.

To fit the DOHC turbo engine requires the chassis rails forward of the strut towers to be shaved and boxed allowing adequate room on either side of the DOHC heads. The SOHC engines drop in without needing chassis mods (for anyone doing a SOHC NA conversion).

Then it’s the EJ wiring cut down and fitment for the engine management, gearbox mounting and mods for the tailshaft. The rear diff bolts in no worries. Depending on the rear diff you use will depend on what you need to do shaft wise. Eg: diff stub axles = stock driveshafts; no stub axles on the diff will require a mix and match of drive shaft parts.

Brakes are the next thing. Going 5 stud requires a custom rear hub to hold the brakes and wheel to the odd EA swing atm stub axle. Nothing off the shelf there and I’m not sure if anyone will be producing a run of these anytime soon. I know of one in the pipeline but I don’t know where it’s at or if it will get off the line. Many have tried along the way. Hand brake needs to be changed to the rear end of this conversion and the front end uses all EJ strut and knuckle/hub setup. This complicates the front driveshaft build too as you’ll need EJ inner and outer CV joints on the EA81 length shaft. Spline counts between the shaft and the CV joints is what needs to be worked out here, or find a mob that can make custom shafts for you.

There are many other aspects of this conversion to cover other than the above, even then there’s probably more details about the above that could be discussed. Ask away!

I’m hoping others will chime in, particularly those that have done this before.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Re: Help Transmission/Differential Identification through serial numbers

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:56 am

CosmicKoala wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:14 am
Hi,
I am a new member and this is my first post. I currently have a 2011 WRX Gearbox (5sp Manual), Flywheel, Clutch and Rear Diff with only 2000km on all components. I inherited this drivetrain for free, and this is the reason behind wanting to utilise it. Can someone help me identify the transmission/Diff to confirm what I have; Gearbox TY758VWABA 680653-GB and Diff 328A S62 (H and K random letters on diff)? While I am currently reading through posts of this nature to extract knowledge from all the Subaru experts, I can’t seem to find the info in any posts. Maybe I’m just a newbie!
Cheers, Matty.
Hi CosmicKoala here is some info on the transmission if the diff is from the same vehicle it will be match to the transmission ratio

https://legacypic.uk/transmission/searc ... ty758vwaba

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “My Subi”