The Ruby Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.

NA EJ options for L series retaining D/R gearbox

EJ20
77%
EJ20
23%

Total votes: 30

Wagonman

Ruby is on the Road

Post by Wagonman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 pm

I finally got my Ruby on the road as of just before christmas and im loving it!
I got the brakes sorted. Turned out for some reason the front calipers were stuck. fixed by just pushing them in a bit again??

Theres a few little things annoying me atm which is the wobbling steering wheel which im pretty sure is buckled rims. also i think i set the steering rack to far to one side because is hard to turn right and then easy to turn left and the indicators come off at wrong times..lol whoops.

Im also getting about 400-430kms per 60ltr tank for the EA82 is that about right?

All thats left is the interior.. Anyways heres a pic
Attachments
DSCF1697.jpg
DSCF1697.jpg (116.84 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:42 am

Looks good mate. When i get back we can all go test it. We can organise with paul, Dann etc:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Wagonman wrote:I
Im also getting about 400-430kms per 60ltr tank for the EA82 is that about right?
Don't let Steptoe read this! :p -> to Jonno - He HATES it when people use the "tank" as the capacity for the distance travelled. My wife's VT has about an 80 litre tank in it and we've done 780km's with a quater of a tank left according to the fuel gauge. I've also done 730km's in my L series but had little left in the tank.

How far have you gone per LITRE? I found with my last fuel tank I could get another 100km from the tank when the needle was on the top of the "E" for empty. There's still at least another 12 litres in there at this level.

Now that I've got an MPFI fuel tank, once on the top of the "E" I need to be getting fuel soon, as by the middle of the E I'm running out of fuel, where as with the old carbie tank I could drop the needle well off the "E" before I ran dry.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 pm

And as for your poll. I'd say the EJ22 is the go. I think they're easier to find in the parts yards over the EJ20 impreza's. I've heard the Gen2 EJ22 is better on fuel, but don't know this for sure.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:03 pm

When i say tank i mean i filled it right up and then drove until it died. Im pretty happy with what im getting. I was just wondering cos im about to go on a reasonably big trip around the southwest in 2 weeks and was thinking about fuel usage etc..

I have made a record book (as our family have for every car) for fuel usage and i guess i'll let you guys know if i have some more accurate findings.

I have got a Gen 1 EJ22 from a 91 Lib and when i drove that around before the clutch went it wasnt that great on fuel but i guess i'll monitor that better when i put it in the L later..

Cheers for your input El Freddo.

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 am

Well since I got my Ruby all running good in december 2010 I have been using her for which was intended. Had a great round trip to Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Albany, Busselton and everywhere inbetween. Up until the last day of the roadtrip in Collie where the battery died which I believe made the alternator die.. Long story short got my back up crew (mum and dad) to bring me one from my other L down to Collie. Also have had a short trip to Geraldton with Opa (granddad) and a few Lancilin trips/beach trips with the forum members and other friends..

At the same time I decommissioned and stripped my faithful old girl Lizzie RIP. Which technically was my first car and first Suby.
I bought another L wagon (Eliza) to become my daily driver while I did the conversion on Ruby. She's all finished minus some minor issues and ready to start driving, SOOO

Now is the time to start the long awaited project for this year which includes:
EJ22 Conversion
5 Stud/all round disc brake conversion
2 or 2.5in exhaust
Custom Ally Rear Bumper with Spare and Jerry holders
Roof console with CB
Front Bash Plate

I think that will do for now. Planning to have it done before Jan 2012 for my next trip to NSW.

This weekend I WILL finally get round to compression testing my 91 Lib and checking if it needs any prior attention other than a timing belt kit which i'll do anyway. Then I will start stripping the Lib and getting the wiring harness out ready for Dave to work his magic.

Ill be using the seats and various other parts but when I work out what i'll be utilising I'll know what to pass on to others in need.

So theres a few weekends taken up with the limited time i have available atm. Ill keep you all posted on the progress and try keep it up better than before.

Wagonman
Attachments
eliza small.jpg
eliza small.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Lizzie small.jpg
Lizzie small.jpg (87.47 KiB) Viewed 933 times

Return to “My Subi”