'Charlie' the lifted Gen 4 Outback

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Barry1956

'Charlie' the lifted Gen 4 Outback

Post by Barry1956 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:45 am

'Charlie' is a Gen4 'Safety' Outback, 2.5 Manual, with 'moon roof'.
Colour is 'Champagne' - hence the name. [After a 19th century music hall character and song. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_ ... 28song%29]

The two key features of the 'Safety' package are side air bags [so no body lift is possible] and 'self-levelling' rear struts.

My objective with my mods has been to maximise the ability of the car for off road use and touring, including pulling a small camper trailer, without compromising its primary role as my daily driver.

AIM
The 'concept' is a less 'full on' version of the Gen4 Outbacks of Outback Bloke showthread.php?t=12267 and Superu http://thesuperu.blogspot.com/. I have achieved the same ground clearance of both those vehicles, but my body is 2 inches lower than theirs. This is only really an issue for water crossings, and I don't intend to be too extreme in that regard.

Mods
Rear Struts
The self-levelling struts have been replaced with KYBs, to allow for replacement of the OEM springs with King Springs on all four corners. This achieved approximately 1 inch increase in suspension height. It also raised the back end relative to the front, so it now looks level rather than 'saggy @ssed'. :)

Subtle strut lift
The King Springs were then followed with a Subtlesolutions 1 inch strut lit. :-D

This is essentially the identical suspension lift to that on Outback Bloke's car, but without the body lift.

Some issues in relation to rear 'toe', (see table) which I hope to correct by fitting adjustable Whiteline rear bushes.

Other mods include:
1/. A UHF CB radio with GPS in place of the 'pocket' between the central air vents.
2/. 6B&S wiring (i.e.THICK) to rear of car to connect to run 'Autofridge' and charge deep cycle battery in camper trailer.
3/. 'SC80' battery management system under the bonnet, to control charging of the auxiliary battery, etc.
4/. Luggage barrier behind rear seat (open below top of seat back, to allow for carriage of long objects.
5/. 2.5kg extinguisher bolted to rear side of luggage barrier.

To come:
* Subaru front 'sports' bar, including lower central bar to take driving lights & hang a water bag.
* Hitch mount rear bar to carry spare wheel and Jerry can.
* Thermo fan cut-out switch with BUZZER.
* Rear fog light.

Touring equipment includes:
* Sup@che@p roof basket.
* Kathmandu side awning.
* 39litre 'Autofridge'.

Barry1956

Post by Barry1956 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:13 am

To answer the question posed by Suparoo at post #13 in 00Outback's thread: showthread.php?p=153864#post153864
A body lift cannot be used with side airbags because it affects (at least in an approval sense) the operation of the side air bags.

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:26 am

its a nice lil rig your building there,
i cant wait to finish mine off,
my car will end up a lil more extreme than yours i think???
yours is far more stylish tho!
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

Barry1956

Post by Barry1956 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:02 pm

Gday longy,

Yes, yours will certainly be more extreme than mine! I have thought about a snorkel, but don't want to go cutting holes in the body work.
Will be interested to see your fridge mount, as that is one of the tasks I have on the list for mine as well.

longy99gt

Post by longy99gt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:26 pm

well after rebuilding the boot, with deep cycle batteries underneath,
the mounts are these tiny lil brackets screwed down, barely noticeable, but firmly secured,
it managed to hold the fridge thru plenty of corrugations and a rough drive thru the murchison 4wd park.,
i need to put more pics up of it,
my camera broke half way thru the biuld process :(
but its good again now.
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:39 am

looking good, dont mind the gen4 OB's. just needs some bigger rubber!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Barry1956

Post by Barry1956 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 am

Dead right Captain. Will get myself some steelies and dirt tyres down the track.

charlie90lserieswagon

Post by charlie90lserieswagon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:27 pm

hi all, i have a related question, and was wondering if you could help. i have a 2004 outback manual, and am looking to install new springs and shocks all round, as the springs have sagged considerably in the back.

i'm looking at raised kings, and pedders gas comfort shocks, as monroe don't do shocks for this particular model. if i go ahead with this, am i going to have any issues arising, or will i get away with it without new struts etc.

thanks very much :)

charlie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Barry1956 wrote:Dead right Captain. Will get myself some steelies and dirt tyres down the track.
Might need them sooner rather than later... I'll be back in a week and a half in lannie - and I'm super keen to get into the cobaws again in Ruby Scoo if you're up for it, or a ride in the passenger's seat ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “My Subi”