GT Legacy

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:57 pm

yeh brumby is the daily, havnt done much more to it yet...
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Quick update on the Legacy - she's off the road temporarily.

Had some issues with the clutch. Somehow the little plug that sits in a thread in the side of the gearbox and holds the clutch pivot rod in worked it's way loose. The pivot rod shifted slightly and popped out, resulting in the clutch fork moving to the side, resulting in car-no-go-go. Fixed it by pushing the rod back in and it seemed okay for a few weeks, then abit of a noise started and I realized that the pivot rod is still not quite at the right angle. I suspect that part of the bellhousing inside has actually busted! I might need to transplant the gearbox innards into a new casing.

That, combined with the old EJ20G finally developing a really nasty lifter tick, led me to decide "stuff it - I'll just fix everything at once".

So I'm pulling the whole engine/gearbox out to resolve the clutch issue, and have bought a Gen2 Twin Turbo GTB engine to replace with old EJ20G with.

Naturally I will be ditching the Twin Turbo stuff and converting the new engine to single turbo, and using the front mount intercooler, VF34 turbo etc that I've had sitting around for ages now.

Current status - right in the thick of it.

I've stripped all the inlet manifold and basically everything else off the top of the old engine. Haven't lifted the old engine out of the car yet. I plan to pull it out all in 1 hit with the gearbox still attached. Here is the engine bay at the moment.

I've also done the same with the new engine. Also have fitted a new Dayco timing belt kit. This photo was taken just after fitting the new timing belt. Since then I've bolted on the single turbo water crossover pipe and popped the timing belt covers and crank pulley back on.

Here is the obligatory photo of the "rubbish bin" of old TT parts :)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:27 pm

BAH! twins arent ThAT bad......
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 pm

Alex wrote:BAH! twins arent ThAT bad......
twins are only good if they're female and hot!

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:18 pm

bit of an update on my less-bodgy car :)
Made a fair bit of progress but still a few jobs to go.

- Had Doug at S-technic re-case my gearbox
- EJ20R engine and gearbox are back in the car now. Engine has all the single turbo gear on it, had to fit a welsh plug and some other bungs in various places to plug up some of the unused water and oil connections which the second turbo used to use.
- Fitted new stainless up-pipe (discovered the stone-age old one had a crack in the upper flange, also saw a pic of what they look like under the heat shields, they must flow like crap!)
- Completed parallel fuel rail modification (cut the fuel rails up, had the ends flared out, ran new efi fuel hose with heavy duty clamps etc)
- Fitted original RS intake manifold
- Got part way through fitting the new front mount intercooler before discovering that the core that was supplied was not as advertised. It was supposed to be a specially modified one to be 270mm high, so it fits properly into a Gen1 RS. Nope, turns out it's a standard 300mm core, bit of a mix-up on the seller's part but wasn't actually really his fault. Not keen at all on hacking the crap out of my bumper to make it fit and having it hang down underneath so I've since found an Ebay core which is the correct size. Just received that by courier yesterday so will be completing that soon now.
- The VF34 turbo is now partially dismantled so I can rotate the housing to suit the intercooler piping, just waiting until I complete the intercooler install before re-assembling that.
- Fitted WRX 2.7 turn-to-lock steering rack (to replace the leaky old 3.3 ttl stock Legacy one).

Still to do;
- Fit Walbro fuel pump
- Fit Sard rising rate fuel pressure regulator (need this because the parallel fuel rail mod includes deleting the stock fpr). This is still a few days away, coming from Japan.
- Fit the two brand new front driveshafts I bought (old ones had one CV clicking and boots getting pretty tatty).
- Fit the new 3" stainless dump pipe (including cat) I've got waiting. Gotta wait for turbo to be mounted first though.

I'll get it running with default PowerFC tune and still the original injectors in the RS manifold just for a few little test drives to make sure there are no leaks and everything mechanical is working correctly, then it's off to All Star Garage.
I will get them to fit the 440cc injectors for me then tune the PowerFC on the Dyno.
Gotta get a front wheel allignment done somewhere in there too!

Bit of a slow process but I'm trying to do it all right the first time. Wouldn't mind it complete soon though, while the Diahatsu is cheap, it's not ideal!
Legacy is getting a few minutes spent on it here and there. In between doing up a house to be sold, organising stuff for the new 6 acre block we bought, organising stuff for the house we're planning to build on it (and workshop!), and heading up biggest project at work we've ever taken on, I litterally have no time.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Sounds good Drew.. glad to see this one is not getting the "bodgy" treatment :p

I'd like to hear how the PowerFC goes.. as I have one and I wouldn't mind using in the L.Offroader :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

H-top

Post by H-top » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah power fc update!
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

rerty

Post by rerty » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:07 am

I have a power fc in my L series wagon, it's running an rsturbo liberty motor.
I don't know who tuned it, but it runs very very smooth. Have had no problems with it whatsoever. :)

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:25 am

Any idea on the power it is making?
Cheers
H-Top

rolling in

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:16 pm

There are about a million variables on how much power a car will make with a fully programmable ECU in it, depending on how it is tuned. The sky is the limit.
Also of course depending on what motor is used, the type of heads, the cams, the exhaust, the turbo, how much boost, the injectors, the fuel pressure, etc etc etc.
How long is a piece of string pretty much :)

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:18 pm

I mean his Specifically lol. I've seem power fcs on
700hp GTR's, so they can't be that bad lol
H-Top

rolling in

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:15 pm

AndrewT wrote: How long is a piece of string
Twice half its length. Or to say the same thing in better english: Two times half its length. In algebra: y=2(1/2x) with y= the length of the string. Ultimately this equation is most likely flawed due to the "x" side of the equation cancelling itself out to just "x". Yeah, I'm sure there's another actual maths teacher out there that could elaborate on this if wanted...

Good list you've got there, hope you find the time! I'm waiting on time and most importantly, parts :evil:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:33 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Twice half its length. Or to say the same thing in better english: Two times half its length. In algebra: y=2(1/2x) with y= the length of the string. Ultimately this equation is most likely flawed due to the "x" side of the equation cancelling itself out to just "x". Yeah, I'm sure there's another actual maths teacher out there that could elaborate on this if wanted...

Good list you've got there, hope you find the time! I'm waiting on time and most importantly, parts :evil:

Cheers

Bennie
haha, trust you to come up with this.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Return to “My Subi”