Checkers goes EJ - 85 RX gets an EJ 22

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Checkers wrote:The EA82T might be the same as an EJ22 on paper but in real life there is little comparison. The EJ is smoother and has much more usable power. Not to mention more reliable and much nocer to drive.

I am very pleased with the results, just need to find an AWD box with centre diff lock so I can go stage two and get 4.44 ratios in here for bigger tyres.
I agree with the EJ being much nicer to drive! I've never driven an EA82T but from what I've seen on paper the EA82T doesn't really come close to the EJ22 performance wise - this was my sticking point with Vic Roads when I tried to get the engine number changed, the performance wasn't close enough to the EA82T to "sign off" on it without an engineer's report :evil: I really think that the L should have come out with some form of EJ motor from the factory, it really transforms the subi into a pleasure to drive - more so than the EA if you enjoyed that motor...

As for the EJ in a brumby from what I've heard the two core brass copper brumby radiator is good enough for the job - just the inlet and outlet ports need to be enlarged to 40mm diametre. Just ask the WA boys about this.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GOD

Post by GOD » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 pm

El_Freddo wrote: As for the EJ in a brumby from what I've heard the two core brass copper brumby radiator is good enough for the job - just the inlet and outlet ports need to be enlarged to 40mm diametre. Just ask the WA boys about this.
Yep, a two core copper rad is ample. But in my experience, copper seems to be more easily damaged, so aluminium would be good if available.

Ports are 1.5", not quite 40mm.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Checkers wrote: I am very pleased with the results, just need to find an AWD box with centre diff lock so I can go stage two and get 4.44 ratios in here for bigger tyres.
I didn't know there was an AWD box with a centre diff lock?! In what model/year did this come in? I WANT ONE! and diff ratios, what ratios came with what boxes/years?

Great work, I love seeing the custom fab work that gets put up here and this is another great example!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:55 am

ScubyRoo wrote:I didn't know there was an AWD box with a centre diff lock?! In what model/year did this come in? I WANT ONE! and diff ratios, what ratios came with what boxes/years?

Great work, I love seeing the custom fab work that gets put up here and this is another great example!
Is it the 4EAT ?

Also been told there are AWD Liberty D/R in NZ with Diff Locks

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:22 am

Also some of the old L series AWD boxes. Talk to AlpineRaven about building a frankenstine box to take advantage of some EJ parts and some EA parts to get the best of both worlds. 1.5 low range can be had too.

Re radiators yeah I've heard copper is more easily damaged than Aluminium too, however one thing is the Copper cores are very easily repairable (solder etc) but Aluminium is not.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am

Wow great results and great photos!

Wheres the video of you blasting up this hillclimb??? :)

Glad to hear you are happy with the power,torque and driveability of the EJ. Sounds the same as everybody I know who've "seen the light" and upgraded, especially those who've upgraded from the overrated grandpa EA82turbo. It amazes me the stubborness of those who cling onto those old buckets 'o crap motors lol :)

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 pm

AndrewT wrote: It amazes me the stubborness of those who cling onto those old buckets 'o crap motors lol :)
each to their own but it amazes me the stuborness of those who spend so much time and money trying to turn an L series into the 4wd vehicle it was never designed to be and never will be :p

sorry for whoring your thread checkers but couldnt help myself
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:17 pm

More thread diversion.

I can partially hold someone called Andrew responsible for alerting me to an EA82T cross over exhaust manifold on ebay about four years ago. I got it on a sniper bid - then the trouble started. It has been cheap turbo and efi experience and I have enjoyed the learning curve. I am sure Disco would agree.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:27 pm

AndrewT wrote:Also some of the old L series AWD boxes. Talk to AlpineRaven about building a frankenstine box to take advantage of some EJ parts and some EA parts to get the best of both worlds. 1.5 low range can be had too.

Re radiators yeah I've heard copper is more easily damaged than Aluminium too, however one thing is the Copper cores are very easily repairable (solder etc) but Aluminium is not.
I dont bite... ;)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:15 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:I didn't know there was an AWD box with a centre diff lock?! In what model/year did this come in? I WANT ONE! and diff ratios, what ratios came with what boxes/years?

I've only heard them come from the RXII turbo coupe that was not delivered in oz - the other model was the turbo touring wagon, but same again - didn't come to oz from factory...

These gearboxes are slightly shorter than the EJ AWD box and with a bit of work can be any of the diff ratios that the EJ is available in... First hurdle is finding one... Other than that, AP can tell you how to install the L series low range into the EJ casing - I could too but he has first hand experience this "conversion". It will turn your Liberty into an offroad beast from what it is now ;)

Also, these L AWD boxes would need to be fitted in an EJ gearbox casing to make it bolt to the back of an EJ motor. The casing swap isn't difficult to do, just need the bits (money) to do it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm

timmo wrote:each to their own but it amazes me the stuborness of those who spend so much time and money trying to turn an L series into the 4wd vehicle it was never designed to be and never will be :p

sorry for whoring your thread checkers but couldnt help myself
That's fine whore away.

As for spending money on turning an L series into a $wd vehicle it was never meant to be .. I do it for fun and as more tracks get clossed there is no challenge in driving the remaining ones in my cruiser.

I find driving on the beach towing my camper a great deal of fun. I could go out and buy a $40 000 4WD and do it easy but where is the fun in that ?

sublime

Post by sublime » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I've only heard them come from the RXII turbo coupe that was not delivered in oz - the other model was the turbo touring wagon, but same again - didn't come to oz from factory...
Don't forget the Vortex! It was at the end of the Vortex run in Australia but Subaru did release an AWD turbo version with the single range, diff lock constant 4WD transmission.

There would not have been many but this transmission was definitely Oz factory (Now the EA constant 4WD dual range box was not available in Oz).
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:11 am

Actually only found in one strange test mule , 86 RX Turbo retrofit .

Truthfully the L AWD gearbox is the same length as any L 4WD gearbox .
Mine is a bitzer of single range Vortex with an early Lib DR close ratio gearset . Front casings are DR 4WD L to house the lower L LR gears and the rear Vortex extension modified to take the L type selector rod and detent mechanism .

L AWD boxes have a unique front diff pinion shaft , different to the EJ one because the AWD L box has the center diff behind the riser gears insted of in front like the longer EJ boxes extension housing .
Only ever available ex factory in 3.7 for AWD L's and 3.9 for AWD XT6's .

Are there any finer details or closer shots of the bit you folded and welded in that sit the Libery radiator on ?
A while ago I searched online for Subie radiators and came across a vertical tube one from an early 1600 or 1800 Impreza . The dimensions were 340 x 680 x 16 single tube . I think the site mentioned Lib rads being 394 high ?
Its the height thats the problem in L's .

A .

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Sat May 01, 2010 7:34 pm

I can't understand why the airbox's fit up, as the L series filter is smaller?

And Disco, what you are forgetting about the radiator sizes is the tanks - radiators are measured by the core. Height is always distance between headers, no matter which way it sits in the vehicle, then you have to add the tanks to the equation.
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

Return to “My Subi”