Checkers goes EJ - 85 RX gets an EJ 22

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Suparoo wrote:Have you got any pics of what you had to chop out / modify to fit the liberty radiator?
I cut out everything that stopped me getting the radiator far enough fwd to clear the fans. Once I had it where I wanted it I folded up a new upper and lower support section and welded them in place.

Didn't take to many pictures of that bit as I don't like stopping once I get going.

I also cut the headlights and fibreglassed them up as they have a lot of useless blank space in them and then used the liberty a/c condensor to get the side mounts I neede to clear the front grill.

Once done I re-fitted the bonnet catch ande machined a new shoulder to match the front profile of the bonnet as it sits 18mm further forward than it did before.

This was all done before I fitted the fltywheel as I had the engin in and out plenty as well as headlights, grill and bonnet on and off as I needed to make sure correct alignment was mainatined.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Holy shit checkers!!! Great work mate - you've put me to shame with my 4 week conversion!

The wiring you've cut the hole for, I routed that through a hole beside the clutch cable and plugged it using an old clutch cable grommet...

I too am keen to find out how you managed to mount the Liberty radiator and the factory fans up front there! I'm about to investigate moving my EJ and gearbox back further to fit a decent set of thermos behind the three core radiator as she still gets hot in weather over 35 degrees with the one thermo...

As for your AC, I've been using my window, not much fun but I can't afford the AC regassing just yet, I need to find a few parts for that first.

Other than that you'll love the effort you've put into it! The EJ should've come out as factory equipment in the L I reckon. Last week I towed a Cub Camper ~500km at 100km/h on main roads and 110km/h on the freeway, the EJ did it easy and used 60L of fuel in the process - I was pushing the boundaries on my fuel range but was determined to get to bendigo before refuelling...

Still loving it! Well done!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:57 pm

Oh and all that being said I screwed up anyway as I did all that without the p/s pump in place. Then when I fitted the radiator back in today the second fan hit the dam pulley, I was not impressed.

To fix it I took the fan out, drilled out the spot welds that hold the cage and took 12mm of the legs and re-welded it square using the fan face as a guide. Once done I then took 4 mm of the blades to ensure I have plenty of clearance. I got the 4mm from setting the fan up and measureing blade distortion when running. I was amazed to see how much it flexed.

Oh well all sorted now.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:58 pm

Very well done!

Are you working by yourself or do you have helpers?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:02 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Holy shit checkers!!! Great work mate - you've put me to shame with my 4 week conversion!

The wiring you've cut the hole for, I routed that through a hole beside the clutch cable and plugged it using an old clutch cable grommet...

I too am keen to find out how you managed to mount the Liberty radiator and the factory fans up front there! I'm about to investigate moving my EJ and gearbox back further to fit a decent set of thermos behind the three core radiator as she still gets hot in weather over 35 degrees with the one thermo...

As for your AC, I've been using my window, not much fun but I can't afford the AC regassing just yet, I need to find a few parts for that first.

Other than that you'll love the effort you've put into it! The EJ should've come out as factory equipment in the L I reckon. Last week I towed a Cub Camper ~500km at 100km/h on main roads and 110km/h on the freeway, the EJ did it easy and used 60L of fuel in the process - I was pushing the boundaries on my fuel range but was determined to get to bendigo before refuelling...

Still loving it! Well done!

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie,

I used your picture to find the VSS feed for the ECU, saved me some more time with a multimeter.

As far as the radiator goes I was always going to make it fit as I had no interest in having cooling issues when I am towing my pop top up the beach at high tide. I have seen a few EJ22 converted L Series with EA82 radiators and none have been running a/c or looked particularly happy in the sand cooling wise.

The a/c condensor is now in place and bolted up and all lines fitted. Need two fitting changed over and then I will gas it. Being up north a/c is a must with a kid in the car.

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Suparoo wrote:Very well done!

Are you working by yourself or do you have helpers?
I work alone as people annoy me to much when I am trying to get things done on time and I usually find they don't do things how I want them done.

That being said I had a few guys pulling bits of the Liberty toady before I send it to heaven, but they were pulling for themselves so that don't really count as helping me .

I did have a helper today for a few hours although he seemed more interested in putting my marker down the air intake on the turbo while I was marking out the EA 82 Loom.

At least he can get his hand in far enough to get it back out. Must remember to pull it off and check for anything else he thought belonged in there.

Was good to see him using a torch to make sure it went down far enough before putting his entire arm down after it ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Checkers wrote:Cheers, what stuff are you talking about ?
a shed, a hoist, numerous tools, different tools for cutting and shaping metal

all the fun stuff

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:44 pm

TOONGA wrote:a shed, a hoist, numerous tools, different tools for cutting and shaping metal

all the fun stuff

TOONGA
Yeah I guess I have a few toys, just wish I got more time to play with them all.

This is my favourite.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Considering Checkers, you also had time to come in here and keep things up to date. Did you get any sleep ??

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:25 pm

steptoe wrote:Considering Checkers, you also had time to come in here and keep things up to date. Did you get any sleep ??
Sleep is for those who have no projects.

I am actually doing real work ATM, well work that pays for my toys and projects, thus I get time to post here while I do other stuff.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:48 am

Checkers wrote:Yeah I guess I have a few toys, just wish I got more time to play with them all.

This is my favourite.

can I come and live in your shed?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Checkers wrote:I used your picture to find the VSS feed for the ECU, saved me some more time with a multimeter.
Glad to hear that its come in useful! You tend to write these things and it slips through the gaps until someone pipes up like you have - it makes the effort (or passion) worth it ;)

As for the fab work on the front end for that radiator/condensor combo, that's a real effort that is way beyond my league! You'll have to do a photo "spread" after its done!

And what is that machine tool in that pic - a mill or a lathe?

Cheers

Bennie

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Cheers Bennie,

As luck would have it the EA82T is a different ECU and loom so that wire doesn't exist. I am not even sure if the EA82T has a speed sensor.

The machine is a 3 Axis CNC Mill.

So the conversion....

I have hit the first big issue.... as I was testing the temp control of the ECU and its ability to turn the fans on and off the drivers side end tank on the radiator decided it had enough and split along about 6 inches. I tried plastic welding but it has to much pressure.

So I have lined up anouther Liberty and will go and get the radiator tomorrow.

Other progress.

The exhaust is done although 2/1/2 with a hotdog from the EJ cat back is a little on the noisey side so it will need a muffler.

The Dash is back in, man that was the worst part of the conversion to date. I dunno what size hands the guys who built these things had but they sure were smaller than mine.

ECU diganostics is working well and I have no fault codes on the ECU and all outputs are goo according to the data scan.

The Fozzie power steering is sweet and was well worth the effort, will do a wheel alignment tommorrow before I go for a road test ( After I get a radiator).

I then need to re-dress the car and put the panels / lights etc back on.

It looks at this stage that I will make my deadline but I will be pulling it all apart again as having the EA82T engine loom still under the dash annoys me so I am going to pull it out. I have an 86 L Series Sedan with carbie engine so I might just swat looms over to get rid of the EFI stuff. I will also be going without a/c.

Anyway I will let you know how the test drive goes.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Good luck removing the EFI loom - mine's still in there as a part of the standard EFI L series loom. I've just tucked it all up outta the way.

I dunno if you did a search but there's a detailed write up about the dash removal that I wrote in the last 18 months, it makes it heaps easier and once you know what you're doing the dash can practically be taken out in the dark...

That plastic end tank issue is the reason why my radiator and heater core are all copper/brass, its now down to the rubber hoses (which are cheaper than a radiator) that are the weakest link...

Bugger about the AC. I've looked at mine today and the standard EA air con is different to everything else I've seen on the L's - I've got one wire to activate the AC clutch and thats it... Something to nut out later.

I know how the test drive goes - it will equal Checkers coming back looking like :mrgreen: I kid you not!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:58 am

I know 3 plug ECU on EA82T had speed sensor pin and found the speed sensor in my speedo unit and several other L speedo heads. When it comes to EJ conversion most have said they not worried about it getting speed sensor hooked up and had no grief.

The 3 plugger was supposed to cut the EGR function off above 45 kph and or when cold. Mine is functioning cold and all speeds so looks like detail in manual is wrong for Australia or speed sensor not working or ECU bit dicky.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Checkers wrote:Yeah I guess I have a few toys, just wish I got more time to play with them all.

This is my favourite.

Is that your milling machine?
If it is.. I have a few jobs for you to do!!!! lol
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Yeah thats my mill, pity my garage isn't as clean as the room I picked it up from.

So the conversion, it pains me to say it but it is driveable and will be making the beach trip BUT it will be coming apart again when I get back to sort a few issues. I will give it a wheel alignment tommorrow as I have toe'd it in so I would ensure I had enough adjustment on the tie rods as the Forrester rack was much wider than the L series.

Most of the things I still have to do are minor and more cosmetic than actually required. I need to do some tweaking on the bonnet alignment as it don't want to sit square, I also think I might need to machine some more off the catch to allow it to clear correctly.

Over all I am quite happy so far. I should have done a lot more prep work before trying to do the conversion in such a short time and also made sure I had gas etc for the tig.

Oh well at the end of the day it starts, stops, runs and will get a blue plate tommorrow and engine numbers changed at QLD Tpt. Then she is all legal and legit.

Its first real test run will be at 4.00am Wed morning when I pull out with the campervan in tow to hit the Noosa Heads Ferry at 6.00 am to make the Low tide and get into camp for Breakfast. Should be much nicer driving with p/s and an EJ 22 rather than the EA82T of the past.

So if you see a white RX on the side of the Highway with a very annoyed wife sitting inside you will know I screwed something up doing the conversion...

Will get some finished pics tommorrow after work.

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Ok well it was all done and finished. Took a bit longer than I planned due to installing the Liberty Radiator and fans along with electric brakes, power steering, UHF and a few other things that have been on the to do list for a while.

Anyay got it done and left the next day.

Towed the van up the beach for a few days of relaxing.

Once we had setup camp on the dunes we headed out for some driving. Checked out Inskip and a few other places.

And then it was time to go home ..

I was very impressed with the conversion and the fact she managed to do a 600 km round trip towing 1000kg of van on the sand without issues. We came back just after high tide had turned and checkers pulled the van through the soft sand without even looking like haveing heating issues or getting stuck.

It is very funny the way people look at you with pity and shakeing their heads when you tow a van on the beach with a Subaru.

Anyway just need to finish off the air con lines and checkers will be back to her old reliable cooled self and have a working demister which was sorely missed on the beach trip.

The EJ 22 has made it so much nicer to drive and the power is much closser to what a want than the EA82T ever was.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 pm

Was gonna put out a call to see if Mrs Checkers was left stranded anywhere - but no need eh? Well done. I am impressed with your moving radiator forward. Ever considered it would also work in MY config?

I sort of picked EA82T to play with as it had been rated as similar to EJ22 yet same league component fit wise as EA81 to go in my Brumby. You reckon better power and torque ?

At least you are pleased with your results, shared it with us and will have less trouble finding bits for it, than the old EA82T. And you have no turbo to worry about (for several reasons)

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 pm

steptoe wrote:Was gonna put out a call to see if Mrs Checkers was left stranded anywhere - but no need eh? Well done. I am impressed with your moving radiator forward. Ever considered it would also work in MY config?

I sort of picked EA82T to play with as it had been rated as similar to EJ22 yet same league component fit wise as EA81 to go in my Brumby. You reckon better power and torque ?

At least you are pleased with your results, shared it with us and will have less trouble finding bits for it, than the old EA82T. And you have no turbo to worry about (for several reasons)
Moving radiator in MY should work, there was a Brumby getting around with en EJ 22 and Liberty Radiator. Now I have done it and driven the results I would never use the EA radiator in stock trim as the EJ one cooled so well.

The EA82T might be the same as an EJ22 on paper but in real life there is little comparison. The EJ is smoother and has much more usable power. Not to mention more reliable and much nocer to drive.

I am very pleased with the results, just need to find an AWD box with centre diff lock so I can go stage two and get 4.44 ratios in here for bigger tyres.

For now though I am just happy to be driving Checkers again.

Return to “My Subi”