jacks brumby

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
wrxer

Post by wrxer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:11 pm

got the l series lower arms machined to suit wrx ball joints, drilled strut top mounts to suit coil overs, mounted them, hung wrx discs, and cut the piss out of those guards to fit 18x7 rims with 235/40/18. they some big wheels to stuff in those guards. looks awesome if you like that boy racer look.
one thing with wheels that big i cant lower it that far. the wheels will hit the inner guard underside of the battery box if i go lower or bigger. could swap with the wheels on the wrx if needed as they are a good 1.5 inches smaller 225/40/16 (i think)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:31 am

show us some pics of the car mate:)

Great work, Looks like its gonna turn out to be quite the toy.
Reminds me of the red turbo brumby on youtube:P
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:04 pm

pics of guard and guagesImageImageImageImage
i removed spring, jacked wheel up to bump stup and cut anything that rubbed plus a bit then rewelded the lip back on. the passenger side is neater, and with bog will look pretty good.
dont get excited guys, drivers view shows at top of suspension travel so will be couple inches lower than pic showsImage
album.php?albumid=24&pictureid=161
album.php?albumid=24&pictureid=159
picture.php?pictureid=160&albumid=24&dl ... 73&thumb=1
picture.php?pictureid=158&albumid=24&dl ... 73&thumb=1
album.php?albumid=24&pictureid=162
some pics didnt come up so those are links.

kona480

Post by kona480 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 pm

that looks awesome! especially the white rims

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:48 pm

nice stuff wrxer its looking good will look impressive finished

ps did you get that message I sent you ?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:25 pm

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:46 pm

Looks good... what steering wheel is that? is that an airbag (SRS) type or not?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:52 pm

yea toongs i got it, catch you after next week. got a lead on a brumby out in the bush. wont say too much till i see it tho.
thanks for putting the pics up brumbyrunner, your ute is inspiring to me, and i understand that lowering rear will give neg camber, now that youve said it and i had a look. with those rims i cant change offset to give rear same track as front, i cant use spacers and get over the pits. i reckon use the crossbred conversion for the rear and l series rear shafts, and reposition the trailing arm mounts outwards to suit. thats what i want toongs rear end for. is there any advantage raising or lowering rear trailing arms mounts, perhaps for antisquat or something?
ap. wheel and column is wrx my 99. so yes is airbag wheel. airbag had gone off, so i stripped it, hot glued the torn plastic and recovered it. is a bit fragile so will redo it with more bracing behind plastic.
thanks for kind words
remember: man who use fuel can for seat gets sore but

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm

thats what i want toongs rear end for
he means my parts brumby which is now nearly a rusty un-rego-ed shell

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 pm

sunny telfer for a week. brumby on hold, bonnet has been closed, welder wheeled into the shed. petrol can seat thrown in the bin. nice and warm (27). and internet in the room. works only with the door open tho. will keep it g rated wont it. i reckon id like a winter in darwin.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Jack paid me a visit on the 16th of this month Ive only just had time to upload the photos and a video

and finally we worked out how to stop tyres from rubbing on pesky guards

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 pm

some may wonder why i have taken front and rear quarters. but if i get frustrated trying to sort out driveshafts, i can jam in the wrx ones and use the 1/4 panels to make a widebody.
also chopped a section out of the floor to be transplanted under tray on passenger side to make a bin to put battery and surge tank in.
thanks to my mate george who gave us a huge hand, and made a big days work more manageable.
and to toongs for letting me hack his brumby apart in the comfort of his garage and make away with the precious parts required.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:01 pm

last couple days have seen me pull the motor to fix the bent valves and broken cam pulleys. scored the front pulleys and plastics off a stuffed motor (am tempted to grab the rest of it as its rattly bottom end and probably smokey too, could bolt heads and turbo onto mums gen2 outback as it would go with the bonnet scoop nicely. 2.5 plus wrx heads and turbo = nice)
and picked up 4 valves from another fellow who bought a gen2 bonnet from me previously and head gasket was a bargin at $25 from ebay (1 only).
prob get timing belt from usa as they are $120 here, and wait for it to get here.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:07 pm

hows the progress Jack or is work taking the fun out of life again

I know its taking all the fun out of my life but the bills have to be paid

TOONGA

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:46 pm

yea pretty slow at mo! motor is fixed and assembled, seems valves i bought need to be custom fitted, as they have 'green' on the end. fortunately head machine shop is over the road and fitted valves, assembled head and cleaned it for slightly more than a box of crownies.
so i bolted it on, no worries.plastics for motor are fitted, still waiting for timing belt tho.
link here for work
http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=14615

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:52 pm

as an aside i have followed alpine raven
showthread.php?t=13977
and his gt light fitment to his gen2, i also have just finished installing gt lights to mrs' outback but have got the hid done too. my kit was a 6000k purchased to suit h1 bulbs so hid are on low beam only. there are 100w on high beam anyway. look awesome tho, yet to drive at night and focus but looks promising.
i think the highs are h3, is this correct?
also note i smashed out the orange indicator shrouds and put in some phantom bulbs, they look mirror finished but flash orange.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:02 pm

this is passengerside chassis rail notched for cam covers. used 1.6mm gal plate to make new section of rail. came up pretty good i think!
other side is cut and plate bent but have to wait a week cause of work before i can play again.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:08 pm

wrxer wrote:this is passengerside chassis rail notched for cam covers. used 1.6mm gal plate to make new section of rail. came up pretty good i think!
other side is cut and plate bent but have to wait a week cause of work before i can play again.
SO you cut & weld up for DOHC engine?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:25 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:SO you cut & weld up for DOHC engine?
And for an EA I believe...

Looking good! I was wondering what you were up to with the cutting up of the brumby... I like the idea of a wider body :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:44 pm

have had rocker cover off wrx fixing oil leak, bit tight in there. anyway, got im finished and took him for a run to see if fixed good and proper. anyways, give her a bit away from the lights in 1 and 2nd and just as i back off into 3rd, i see a skyline couple cars back decide to give a bit of a chase. so i let him catch a bit then give it in 3rd, as the big td05 kicks in, i feeling good, but the skyline is closing in and with a almighty bellow he is past me and away. OMFG how fast is that? he was way more grunty than me!
anyway the moral of the story is next brumby will be tribeca 3.7 with twin wrx turbos. 800hp should be enough to waste those pesky nissans

Return to “My Subi”