Decent Wheels for L-Series..??

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

L-Raiser

Decent Wheels for L-Series..??

Post by L-Raiser » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Does anyone know a way to 'legally' fit a decent MAG wheel to an L..?????
My dream was to 'redrill' my hubs to a different '4 stud' patturn so I could put on a set of 4x100 stud 15" Chrome rims. But Im told by WA Licencing Dept that it is in no way legal! Im also told that '5 stud adapter plates' are also illegal. So what options ARE there...???? Does anyone know of any other way it can be done...? Ive heard rumours that one guy imported some 4 or 5 stud hubs that were 'subaru certified' and hence legal.... :confused:

L-Raiser :)

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:24 pm

the crossbred brake conversion kit sold by a member of this site, its an option..not too sure of the legalities of it...but its juts taking hubs and brakes off another subaru and putting them on an L seris. thats the 5 stud one.

try buying the alloys as blanks before holes are bored and getting them custom bored to an L spec? expensive but also an option

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:34 pm

Wheels that will fit unmodded.
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wheels.html
The only alloy wheel I know of you can by new for the 140x4 stud pattern, Performance superlights.
http://www.performancewheels.com.au/sup ... wheels.htm
Crossbreeds brake kit will change your hubs to the liberty/impreza 5 stud pattern. http://www.crossbredperformance.com/index.html

Then there are Scorpion steel wheels (made by scorpion subaru, google them).

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:09 pm

The XT6 vortex sold overseas had a 5x100 stud pattern & these parts will fit directly to an L series (if you get the complete rear hub you also get an upgrade to rear discs) & this setup retains the front handbrake. Problem is getting the parts out of the US...

The other option I've seen is to get the hubs re-drilled, but not to 4x100, but 4x114.3, which is another popular size for 4 cylinder cars.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

subanator

Post by subanator » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:13 pm

I run a set of Marquis alloy wheels, 14x6. Maybe not what you are after if you want the latest bling bling, as mine are fairly old.
Apparently they are of Jap origin, not too many around.

I dont know about alloys, but there is a mag place in Perth that drills blanks to your stud pattern - for Subies?? not sure.
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:31 pm

This is ok, but I found that finding wheels that had a big enough centre piece to be able to be drilled with holes far enough apart (diameter of 140mm) was difficult.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:16 am

L-Raiser

would u care to put up some pics and specs of ur beast?? i beleive i has been breifly mentioned here b 4 but im very interrested
dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 pm

or you could go some peugeot mags... once again, not the newest looking rims but a decent polish and should come up alright... im chasing some 15" ones now, getting extremely warm too
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

vidler
General Member

Post by vidler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:25 pm

mr mag sells these. you can only get an adaptor to another 4 stud pattern, either 4x114.3 or 4x100. if the catch you, you can simply take the adaptors off and convert to normal wheels just to take over the pits... i doubt most cops would notice though
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Dear D3V1L,

Here are pics of my sweet lil L...
She is getting an EJ20 Turbo in April and a 2" Lift Kit too..! :D

Ive just set up my 'webshots' site so I hope the link works...

http://community.webshots.com/user/_Amazon_

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Im determined to get some hot wheels on my car no matter what! hehe

Regards,
L-Raiser
( Karen ) :)

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:41 pm

THANKS heaps for your posting LTURBO, your links were extremely helpful and promising..!! :D~~~ That Crossbred system looks like a goer for sure.... Either that or possibly CHROMING a set of Scorpion 5 Spoke 14"s might be an option....

Thanks again!

karen :)

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:42 pm

Countless tire and rim places have told me that u can get ANY rim to suit the Subaru... they simply call the rim manufacturer before the holes are drilled and get them drilled to the subaru pattern.... this is not a modification of the bolt holes since at that point there is no bolt holes... surely this can't be illegal, or perhaps i have been miss-informed.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:55 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Countless tire and rim places have told me that u can get ANY rim to suit the Subaru... they simply call the rim manufacturer before the holes are drilled and get them drilled to the subaru pattern.... this is not a modification of the bolt holes since at that point there is no bolt holes... surely this can't be illegal, or perhaps i have been miss-informed.

Dave
The shops have probably not actually tried to get a set of wheels drilled for a older Suby, while it'll work for most cars they will not be able to get any (1 or a few but not any) rim to fit a Suby. One of the problems lies in the fact that the 140x4 stud pattern has quite a large diameter. So when the go to drill the holes they find that the holes end up to close the edge (there is some sort of minimum dist or something) and are not strong enough. There was some other trouble as well but I can't remember what it was at the mo.

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:09 pm

L-Raiser wrote:THANKS heaps for your posting LTURBO, your links were extremely helpful and promising..!! :D~~~ That Crossbred system looks like a goer for sure.... Either that or possibly CHROMING a set of Scorpion 5 Spoke 14"s might be an option....

Thanks again!

karen :)
No worries

I have been looking for a nice set of wheels for awhile, and have decided that one day I'll either do the Crossbred kit if I am going to keep the car long term, or shell out for some superlights if not.
This is Suby Wan Kenobi car with superlights.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”