AT Tyres - Help me choose

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

vincentvega

AT Tyres - Help me choose

Post by vincentvega » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 am

I want to get a new set of All terrains on before the DI trip next weekend. I have narrowed it down to:

Cooper ATR

Goodyear Wrangler ATR

Toyo open coutry AT

Size im looking at is 205/75R15. Unfortunately cooper dont make the old AT in this size anymore.

Anyone know anything about the above tyres?

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:25 am

All i know is that the Goodyear Wrangler ATR will do the job and have been around for ages, good little tyre.

As for the Toyo open coutry AT i have not run em personally however Subamike is running them (i think) and that have take some serious punishment as well as a return trip from west - east coast with no problems and they are still going strong 8O i know you should see him kill em and they still have tread.

KERRY

Wrangler AT

Post by KERRY » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:45 pm

I made a trip to the Cape, started with Goodyear Wrangler AT's via a trek track through the Daintree and spiked a sidewall, two more punctures before I hit Cooktown and they had atleast 50%+ tread. I camped at Cooktown until some BFG's arrived and had no more issues or even a flat for the entire life of the tyres. I had a Jeep turbo diesel(lemon) and the Subaru is a lighter vehicle so this may not occur. I took the Old Telegraph Track to the Tip except for the barge. After all the tyres I have tried BFG's are the best BUT are twice the cost of Super Trippers. I had the Trippers for two years and can not fault them. Two sets of wheels are the answer.
Why not use your 13"wheels with Commercials for Road Driving and Swap them for the Trips. Then you have evryday quiet and security combined with True Offroad capability.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:41 pm

I ended up buying the wrangler ATR's. So far i really like them. Its amazing how different the car feels on teh beach when you actually have some tread.

I also scared myself a bit on a steep gravel slope i always play on, I usually start spinning about half way up and go no further, with these on it started spinning but then bit in and drove to the top (wasnt expecting that!)

I dont run 13" rims ;) but you are right about 2 sets of tyres. I run a set of bridgestone potenzas on road, and now have the wranglers for offroad

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:38 pm

Are they the ones that you have ?.

Mike.
ImageImage

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:53 am

thats them.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:29 pm

What rims are you using with them, I am going to be getting some larger profile tyres than the 205/50/16's very soon and was going to go for a 15'' rim .

Mike.
ImageImage

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:19 am

For your liberty, seriously look at something with a wider offset than standard liberty rims. Otherwise your tyres will rub on the chassis rail at full lock.

I am using 15x6 forester steelies which are +48 offset. With these rims, the tyres do not rub at all. I also like the look of them as an offroad wheel. The stupid thing is that my "smaller" 26" road tyres rub on the chassis rail, because they are WRX rims and the offset is too narrow (+53)

Dave Gibson is running aftermarket auscar 15x7's on his new liberty and they are +45 offset. even better than my forester rims.

If you want to stick with subaru genuine rims, then your options are forester and outback as they are all +48 offset.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:21 am

thinking about it mike, what offset are your current 16" rims?

yokohama and bridgestone both do a nice all terrain in 215/65R16

maybe you should look at those? Scott runs the bridgestones (D693's i think) on his very quick lifted liberty and they have been excellent. He runs 16" GT forester alloys which are +48mm offset and they dont rub

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 am

Have you got any pics with your new AT/Rs on?

OWL outside or in?

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:33 pm

Don't know what the offset is on the ones that I have at the momment but the rub the outside of the tyre on the top of the outside edge of the wheel arch when going around a corner with a load in the back, so the offset is wider that the standard ones.

Mike.
ImageImage

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”