Bleeding MY brakes - the wrong way

EA71, EA81 & EA82 Brakes, Wheels & suspension components
steptoe
Master Member

Bleeding MY brakes - the wrong way

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

OK, basic cave man instinct has been to bleed from the furthest nipple :) from the master cylinder and some have got away with this procedure.
Next, is the Gregories manual says to bleed right rear, then left front, then left rear, right front ...then from there I have also needed to bleed the nipples :) on the side of the master to get best brakes.

I am now revisiting a nightmare I had a few years ago when I had my master resleeved. Bastard needed a bench bleed, was an absolute rude word to get the pipe nuts done up quick with liquid skin crawler dribbling all over the bloody place. Just no feel with the gloves :(

So,many years down the track, new pads, new discs and one caliper needed some pressure bled off the back to get the piston right back. After, crap pedal even though I bled it my way.

Decided while there the fluid was looking pretty bad from coming back from the calipers, so emptied master bottle to clean out as best as possible.

Now, bleeding has been a nightmare again! Ended up getting one of the master to junction pipes remade from softer than Fuji pipe in order to get some control on the pipe nuts. Got the thing bled for fifth time, got distracted - suspect fluid drained too far in master ...more buy fluid.

Just gawking at a genuine manual and says when draining master, drain it by the nipple, refresh fluid in master, bleed at its nipple first, then rear then the slaves but in primary circuit first , then secondary.

So, looks like new fluid fill, bleed at master primary (rearmost) then right rear, left front

back to master, bleed its secondary nipple (fronter one) left rear, right front

Off to try this method ......

Thinking I must have been just plain lucky over last 18 years on these babies !! Not doing as factory manual says ??

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:41 pm

besides the order in which you bleed each corner, what is your specific method for bleeding? In other words, what do you do in regards to the order of pumping the pedal? releasing pedal? depressing it just once fully? when do you loosen / tighten the bleed nipples? Are you using a "one man bleeder"? is it submerged in fluid? Are you using one of the swanky vacuum bleeder kits?
There are a billion different combinations of all of the above and everyone seems to do it differently.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:24 pm

thanks Andrew ,

doing on me Pat Malone as usual, with all nipples with thread tape on them as a left over from last nightmare. Nice fit bit of rubber tube 40mm long then a few feet of small ID clear plastic pvc hose to observe any bubbles or debris and said tube drains into a 1.25 litre Mountain Dew bottle.The small diameter replaces need for any end to be submerged.

Used this method for years without any problems , except same car with reco master cylinder. A bench bleed fixed that one even though had delay in doing up the upside down pipe nuts, swear , swear, bloody swear

Now, reading more ..above is fluid replacement procedure. Next part is air bleeding, where it says to start at furthest from master cylinder and work forward.

Should note this manual is for the earlier MY with round headlights 1600 and 1800's

Published by TM is direct copy of Subaru manuals under licence or something

It sort of spells out there is a difference in the two methods, fluid bleeding and air bleeding ! Different approach and sequence !!

Got a mate calling by to test his nar half century of mechanicking .should be more given the hours he works ....

Might be time to put the other steed on the road, but you'd never guess what I have stopped doing on it due to difficult pipe nuts !!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:23 am

edit

there is a fluid replacement method sequence

air bleeding sequence _ I had better quote with new addition :)

"1] air bleding procedure

replenish the brake fluid rservoir with new recommended brake fluid [DOT3 BTW] and start bleeding air from the wheel cylinder located furthest from the master cylinder"
Here is the next bit "bleed air according to 1, 7] Reconfirmation"

which is the fluid bleeding sequence

1st is at master cylinder, 2 right rear, 3 front left, 4 left rear, 5 right front

If step 1 is at MC, and instruction tells you to go rear right beiing furthest away ....little wonder not everyone reads instructions !!

Return to “EA Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tyres”