Tyre to rim chart

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

Cliff R
General Member

Tyre to rim chart

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Is anyone aware of a chart or list of some sort that shows a variety of rim sizes and how wide a tyre will fit on the rim ?
There must be something out there as tyre services can advise tyre sizes compared to rim widths.
I am not totally happy at the moment with the 14" Sunnie rims and their 185/70/14 tyres on the MY wagon. There is a noticeable difference (loss) of power on hills or low down revs.
I am inclined for now to put the 13" L series sports wagon rims with the 185/70/13 tyres back on.
I am just wondering how wide a tyre I can put on the J13x5J steel rims.

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:47 pm

check out this site.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires_101/c ... eel_width/

that will give you an idea , looks like 185 is about it for a 5" rim width as far as yokohama are concerned, cant see a 195 - then check out my thread here

http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=24979

to see if it changes your gearing too much from factory standard, which may be why your current tyres are causing you grief

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 pm

henpecked.
Awesome info, thanks heaps.
I would be very happy to stick with the white Subaru sunnies from the MY/L series if it weren't for the offset, or there lack of.
I usually found I would like them a lot more if they offset further towards the outside of the car instead of sitting so far into the guard. Makes the wheels look like cookie cutters.
I know I cant have it all so I have to decide if I will stick with the 13" rims or the 14" rims.
Years ago I took the original Subaru 13" alloys off (came with the 82 Touring wagon) as I damn well know I wont give them the attention they will need and deserve to keep them clean, pristine and unmarked. I have no intention of selling them. They would be great on a show car going for the original look. I managed to pull them off with their original centre caps just as they were starting to crack on the rear of the cap where the screws go in. Any longer and they would have fallen off.
I will now go and look at a tyre calculator and make some comparisons of my current tires (13's and 14's) but I will be starting tomorrow by putting the 13" back on to see if I can stand the offset or not.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:25 am

Not sure if this will transpose to a link but I found this tyre bible excellent.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”