bigger rims/tyres without lift kit?

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

calamity

bigger rims/tyres without lift kit?

Post by calamity » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 pm

so iv got an 84 touring wagon and would like to put bigger rims/tyres on it im not after anything extreme...just enough to get me off the beaten track abit...mostly firetrails where that extra inch ride height will make all the difference...

my question is what tyres would you recomend and what size rims would fit without to much modifications...there doesnt seam to be springs only a shock absorber...im presuming its the same kinda suspension as the vw run...

not sure how to go about a lift kit on it...and i figure new set of tyres will do the trick...it goes everywhere i need it to now...but bottoms out on a few spots...

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 am

I have found I've gained some extra height with the 15 inch size its got 195/50R15s on it and funny enough with that setup its first automatic car I have had where speedo is dead on accuarate with the GPS.

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU

Post by FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 am

however if you want all terrain tyres ive herd 14 inches is better having hard time finding 15 inch all terrains.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:53 am

FALCONCONVERTTOSUBARU wrote:I have found I've gained some extra height with the 15 inch size its got 195/50R15s on it and funny enough with that setup its first automatic car I have had where speedo is dead on accuarate with the GPS.
that is odd as 195.50.15 have same or smaller nominall overall tyre diameter than the 175.70.13 they came out with - I thought I compared ?? But I also get a super GPS accurate speedo reading with the 15's where the 13's semed to read slower ?? Something not compute??

185.70 14 gave me less under body grief :) . Also seen a few with rally style alloy sheting attached underneath to reduce catch points - turn the MY into a bit of lizard belly drag style thing :p

calamity

Post by calamity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 am

my local tyre place is a motorsport supplier for tassy...so i have no trouble finding tyres...priced out both 14" and 15" rally tyres at $209 each...they have a nice decent tread on them and are dot approved for road use still...can get these in 13" at the same price...but i figured id be better to get a bigger rim before spending $1000 on 5 tyres...

so would i be better to go with 14" rims? i figured they might fit my car abit better with minimal if any cutting of the wheel wells...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Are there any 15" rims with a 4x140 pattern? 14" rims would be easier to find. Anyway I thought 14" rims with 25" tyres were about the biggest you could go without a lift kit, 27" requires guard cutting/battery bay bashing? I'm interested to know as well since I've got some 14" rims now and going to start looking for tyres that will fit without a lift kit for the ute.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

calamity

Post by calamity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:51 pm

i can get 4x100 from wreckers here for $100 for 5 rims...and on ebay they sell the spacer/adaptors for 4x140 to 4x100...and i can only imagine the wheels being 1 inch further out would only add to stability abit...im just not sure what would fit well...dnt mind doing abit of fabrication...

im just not sure on how i actually do a lift kit on my car without having to change alot of stuff around...as there appears to be no obvious springs...just dampeners so i think it runs those tortion rod ones...(dnt know actual name of them)

calamity

Post by calamity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:07 pm

so quick look on ebay...these tyres 28" but only $65 each...and there on 15" rims...im just wondering how much would i need to mod my car to be able to use them? im guessing going to have to lift it abit? or can i just get away with some clever grinding/hammering and welding up some shiny new guards?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225-75R15-Al ... 417ea80152

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”