Bent rim repair

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

lincolnthemod

Bent rim repair

Post by lincolnthemod » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey all,

I have been searching sometime now (over 8 months) for 14" speedy dessert rats to replace the mine and have almost given up. It seems that although my super tough MY series will easily withstand flying in excess of 5 metres through the air and landing on sand or dirt (dirt is scary) but the rims just won't take that kind of extreme abuse as they have become very bent from doing this WAY too many times and now shake at speeds in excess of 80kmh.

Does anyone know any tricks for straightening them, I tried it with a hammer and block of metal in the theory they couldn't get any worse but unfortunately they didn't get any better either.

Cheers in advance

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:41 pm

You can fix the lip easily enough but the whole rim can buckle and i'm not sure what you can do about that. Proffesional wheel repairers wil fix them for about $90 per rim, but any bob jane or similar tyre place can get new rims in for you for about $60-80 ea depending on their mood.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 pm

lincolnthemod wrote:Hey all,

I have been searching sometime now (over 8 months) for 14" speedy dessert rats to replace the mine and have almost given up. It seems that although my super tough MY series will easily withstand flying in excess of 5 metres through the air and landing on sand or dirt (dirt is scary) but the rims just won't take that kind of extreme abuse as they have become very bent from doing this WAY too many times and now shake at speeds in excess of 80kmh.

Does anyone know any tricks for straightening them, I tried it with a hammer and block of metal in the theory they couldn't get any worse but unfortunately they didn't get any better either.

Cheers in advance
Are you serious? 5m thru the air??? hahaha

& the rims are bent? Nooo...i dont believe it :rolleyes:

Seriously, i would LOVE to see footage of that lol :mrgreen:

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:00 pm

nachaluva wrote:Are you serious? 5m thru the air??? hahaha

& the rims are bent? Nooo...i dont believe it :rolleyes:

Seriously, i would LOVE to see footage of that lol :mrgreen:
+1 for the footage

I have bent one of my steel rims on the Foz.... hit a pot hole sideways on a gravel road being an idiot with let down tyres :rolleyes:

Taza

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:08 am

i got my 14" desert rat rim repaired at a rim repair place $50 coz it was a steel rim its easy for them.
1990 L series wagon Ej22

i didn't realize this image was so large :-O

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”