Performance tyres for Outback ?

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

valerian

Post by valerian » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:01 pm

A question to the knowledgeable ones: Can anyone recommend me a summer (not all-season)H/T tyre in the size 205/70R15 ? I need less squirm of thread.

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:47 pm

More news about Michelin Energy XM2.

The tyre was tested by the Russian automotive magazine AutoRevyu on the Michelin's range in France, along with the other LRR tyres, http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au

Their conclusion was that the XM2 tyre was average when braking on dry and wet bitumen. (Though, the resistance to acquaplaning was the best.) The capability to resist the compression when hitting the pavement was average as well. The tyre Michelin Energy Saver (available on the European markets since 4 years ago with a less LRR) was better in those instances.

The testers noted that the XM2 tyre was better than most of the other tyres at absorbing and dissipating the small bumps on the road. Thus, the shudders from the small bumps were not felt, and the ride was soft on the whole. (The Saver tyre was better at absorbing the larger bumps.) This was confirmed by the Michelin representatives, too. From the Russians point of view, this was actually a disadvantage for the tyre XM2.

Also, the authors said that the Michelin XM1 tyre was developed for the Chinese market and had a stronger carcass.

In their review, the authors trashed the tyres Bridgestone Ecopia EC100 for its low wet grip and average dry grip. They said Pirelli Cinturato P1 was the grippiest, but "gave up" the traction too sharply when cornering. They gave the 7th place to the XM2 tyre.

The whole review is available at http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... ml&act=url

valerian

Post by valerian » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Who can say what about the SUV tyre "Goodyear EfficientGripSUV", http://www.goodyear.eu/home_en/tires/ef ... /index.jsp ? It was released in April 2012. Unfortunately, it looks to me like the LRR crap. The size of ineterst to me, 205/70R15 has a tyre with the speed index "T". I'd say I'll pass on it, because my rule of thumb is not to buy the tyres with the speed index less than "H" ("H" is OK).

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:36 pm

I wouldn't look past the Toyo Teo plus personally. Came with my car and they grip like CRAZY and have pretty low weight and rolling resistance. And very quiet.:D
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 am

Davidov wrote:I wouldn't look past the Toyo Teo plus personally. Came with my car and they grip like CRAZY and have pretty low weight and rolling resistance. And very quiet.:D
I just had these put on my vw passat 235/45/17. They're more of a cruisy tyre, very quiet, very smooth but not as much grip as a true performance tyre like the Pirelli pzero neros I have on my liberty.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

valerian

Post by valerian » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:16 pm

The car mechanic reduced the tyre pressure, and the car became grippier in the wet !

Here is the longer verson. My Subaru Outback has a placard saying the tyre pressure is supposed to be 28/29 PSI, and the speed rating should be at least "S". I run my current tyres Dunlop LM703 (H speed) at a pressure of 36 PSI (cold). I found the car got responsive handling just like a passenger car.

I took my car for service, and the car mechanic reduced the pressure to what I estimate to be 32 PSI. The car started to wallow around the corners, and lost the crisp handling. However, I noticed that it became noticeably grippier when cornering in the wet weather ! And the squeal threshold moved by maybe 5 km/h up.

This is surprising to me as I experimented with the pressure 34 PSI, and I found the car got a worse grip when cornering in dry. I thought: "That's understandable. All articles advise to increase pressure in order to increase the tyre's grip, so that the tyre does not excessively deform and hold the whole ptach pressed against the road". I bumped the pressure back.

However, I think this was why the reducing of the pressure increased the grip. As was already mentioned on this thread, cornering changes the geometry of the car. The wheels tend to ride on the tyres' edges instead of on the whole surface. Deflating the tyre helps to align the contact patch better in parallel to the road.

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 pm

valerian wrote: P.S. I wrote an email to Yokohama Australia and received a reply that they had no plans of importing G055 into Australia. He said even if this happened the tyres would not arrive this year. Oh well, maybe we could get the gray import...
Well, what do you know... the Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055 is now sold in Australia by Bob Jane,
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au
(That's 215/70R16 for $219.)

That's performance summer SUV tyre, 100% on tar. It is an "eco" variety, so that I am not sure...

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Today I went to Bob Jane, and got quoted $180 for the Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055 tyre in the size 205/70R15. The sales rep showed me the tyre of a different size 215/60R16.

The sidewall is firm as is supposed to be in an H-speed tyre, or maybe slightly less firm. The tread seems to be made of many small blocks. The rubber is rather soft. The tread blocks are squirmy, especially the middle rib. The shoulders have much more rubber on them than a passenger tyre. The UTQG rating is 600, traction is B and temperature is A. Made in Thailand. The tyre does not have an appearance of a high build quality product.

My conclusion is that the tyre will understeer when cornering due to squirmy blocks. More than I am prepared to tolerate. It will probably feel at home on dusty unsealed road. They had to put lots of sipes and edges probably because the rubber is not grippy ("B traction"). The EU Tyre Labelis C for wet grip, which is a middle of the road. The wet grip probably drops after the tyre is partially worn.

valerian

Post by valerian » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

About Yokohama Geolandar SUV G055. The Australian Yokohama website is dismal. They say the tyre is quiet and long-wearing, and is suitable for strapped on cash parents. Clearly an attempt to appeal to a segment of the market by the "marketologist" from the same segment. The website says nothing about the performance of the tyres.

So that I had to take it into my hands, and found a Japanese review:
Really, I was surprised to see the article in comparison with GEOLANDAR H / T ー S which was revealed after the test drive. Maneuverability and stability in dry road pylon slalom measure the improvement in the near 10%, 2% improvement in lap times of wet course. As also previously presented braking performance. Has improved dry, wet, snow, and ice, with all surfaces.

This, yet they coexist firm "and 16% decrease rolling resistance." In the Freelander also have tried dry roads, not to grip any anxiety. From said grip is better than H / TS would also dry road off-road, it's true as long as you do not bring in mud terrain, and surpasses the H / TS in most performance.
In other words, what the author is saying, in the dry road slalom test ("witches hats"), it took 10% less time to finish it compared to the tyres H/T-S G051. And he says that G055 performs better than G051 in any area.

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Highly HIGHLY reccomend Toyo Teo Plus. Grip like shit, and dont squeal with my outback. They are also wearing quite nicely too. :)

I think they are around the $200 a corner mark.

EDIT: And for a H/T they are INCREDIBLE offroad for sandwork.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 am

Getting close to needing tyres on my Outback again, roughly 25,000kms on my Bridgestone Ecopia EP100's. They still have tread in the middle, but they are almost bald on the edges. I put that down to the number of corners on my way to work on a country road, plus a roundabout and 3kms of urban driving.

Bridgestone is the only tyre place that is convenient for me to leave my car at during the day while Im at work. There is a Goodyear about 15kms away, but I've heard bad things about their wheel alignment machine.

I was thinking about the Turanza ER300, but I really dont want to be replacing them next year if they wear as quick as the Ecopias did
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:06 am

Davidov wrote:Highly HIGHLY reccomend Toyo Teo Plus. Grip like shit, and dont squeal with my outback. They are also wearing quite nicely too. :)

yes, got these in 235/45/17 on my passat.

inceridibly smooth and quiet

alex

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Davidov wrote:Highly HIGHLY reccomend Toyo Teo Plus. Grip like shit, and dont squeal with my outback. They are also wearing quite nicely too. :)

+1 i have them on forester have had them on for 35,000ks so far and have been very grippy, quiet, and looking like i will get 50-60ks from them and i am fairly harsh
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Davidov wrote:Highly HIGHLY reccomend Toyo Teo Plus. Grip like shit, and dont squeal with my outback.
Do they squeal when you are pushing them to the limit of grip, e.g. around corners ?

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:51 pm

valerian wrote:Do they squeal when you are pushing them to the limit of grip, e.g. around corners ?
Why should that be a defining factor? They squeel very very quietly.

I had marangonis on my liberty and they out handled my current pirellis but they squeeled loudly when pushing hard.

Teos are very quiet, very smooth and pretty precise. Bloody brilliant tyre.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR HD
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:48 am

The new tyres to consider:

Bridgestone Ecopia EP850
General Grabber GT

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:51 am

Alex wrote:Teos are very quiet, very smooth and pretty precise. Bloody brilliant tyre.
I checked via carsales.com.au -- the Toyo Teo Plus appeared in my size. However, I got Michelin XM2 (and it is coming to an end of its life now).

I read a comment somewhere that if the price for Toyo and Michelin is the same, then one should get Michelin, as it is much better.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 am

I have Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus on the Forester and I'm really happy with them
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

valerian

Post by valerian » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus looks like a good tyre, however it is not available in the SUV size for me.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:55 am

I'd be wary of Bridgestone. Lots of people get them & say how grippy they are, but then dont notice them slowly lose grip as the rubber hardens. All tyres harden with use & age but Crapstone tend to do it more than any other tyre. Its a very sneaky ploy they have to "wow" people with their grip when they first get them, but to harden up significantly to give good tread life, which they are known for.

Remember, its a choice... good grip OR good wear. You cant have both!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”