Cooper Tyres

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

mynance

Cooper Tyres

Post by mynance » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I am researching tyres for 07 XT Forester and would like to change from 215 55 17 to a 225 55 17. Would the bigger tire fit in the tire well?
Anyone had experience with the Cooper CS4 Touring tyre or Bridgestone Potenza.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Comment from a Forester Forum I visit:
ImagePosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:07 pm Post subject: Michelin energy tyres Image

Whatever you do, don't buy Cooper Longlife 215/55/17's - put them on the XT about
36000kms ago - wearing OK - but feels like the car goes where it wants to.
Has gotten worse as they wear.
Had the alignment checked - no significant adjustments required.
Peter

AnthonyC

Post by AnthonyC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi there,

I'm by no means an expert, but about a month ago I was looking for a new set of tyres for my Fozzie. The stock ones are a rip off ($225 each), and I've found the tyre nothing but a let down for the car (other than I did get 60,000km from them, and they probably could have done a little more but I had to replace a flat and thought I may as well replace all 4 as they had to be done in the next 5000km or so).

Anyway - I poured over lots of different sites to try and do some research but unfortunately found little help on Forester tyres (doesn't help that all the good tyres on tyre track aren't available in the Fozzie size!) I was lucky to have a much more car-savvy friend who also helped me. In the end I decided to try a set of Cooper Tyres - the CS4s. One of my main aims was a tyre that was much stronger and robust. Over 60,000km I have had 4 flats, or which 2 needed replacing. It was getting a bit much...the old Fozzie I had (02 model between 02-07) suffered a similar fate but wasn't tooooo bad but still was prone and I kept running the stock standard Bridgestones Dueler 684s (I think) on them.

I've only done about 3000km on the CS4s, but there's certainly some big differences I've noticed compared to the Geolanders (aka Geosquealers). First of all, the grip on road seems to be much better - when pushed the old tyres really used to slide around, but these seem much better (especially on corners). Dirt road though is where I've noticed the biggest difference. I found my car seemed to "float" on the old tyres, but now the car feels as sure footed (much like my first Fozzie). Was able to give them a decent test a couple of weeks ago when I visited my folks - was a 20km each way dirt road trip to the pub for a meal and I have to admit I was stoked!

Yet to really get a good test for puncture resistance, but I guess I'll only know if and when I do get punctures.

The tyres are a little quieter too.

If there was one downfall, (well 2, because they're around $210 each so price isn't so great either), it's that they appear to be a heavier tyre. I say that because the car felt a little heavier with the tyre on during acceleration, and fuel economy seems to be slightly less. In saying that, I've been doing a lot more city driving so it might be too early to really call. I did go camping on the weekend, but the car was fairly stocked up so that doesn't help. So will keep monitoring it and see what happens...

Hope this is of some help! As I've said though, only had the tyres on for a month/3000km.

AC

mynance

Cooper Tyres

Post by mynance » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks AnthonyC

I will give them a try shortly, I have been quoted $280 for Cooper CS4 Touring in Hervey Bay [225 55 17] but will check the price in Maryborough first as I usually find a better deal there.

Myles:)

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”