Easier option

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

subusurfer

Easier option

Post by subusurfer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Ive been looking around for a while for a secondhand set of 14" or 15" sunraysias with tyres but really haven't come across much in Adelaide, ive noticed that its easy to get a set of sunraysia wheels in 15" with a 5 or 6 stud pattern, ebay always has wheels for sale, im just interested to know what people have done in terms of re drilling holes to suit an L series pattern, are there sunraysias that would best fit the PCD of an L series, i.e a pajero wheel or rodeo wheel. cheers

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:27 pm

if you get caught with re-drilled wheels, red sticker i believe.

you wont find any 15's, 14's are the more common wheels. Any wheel place can get them for you, NEW.

Other than that keep looking!

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

BENduro

Post by BENduro » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Yeah, but from what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, the offset on the speedy 14" is way out and you get some rubbing...Trimming guards is not for me.
Experiences anyone??? With and without lift.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 pm

You can drill 6 stud rims to suit the subaru stud pattern but it's then very obvious what you've done and I would question the structural integrity of the rim.

You can drill your hubs to match 6 stud rims, which is less obvious but you have to drill through major structural part of the brake discs, hubs aren't "quite" as bad but both are still illegal.

Brett did come across some custom 15" rims that were available on bulk order, not sure if he still has any left but wouldn't hurt to ask, these would be 100% legal and I believe were the correct offset as well.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 pm

the offset isnt way off, makes them look nice n tanky. Depending on what tyre you get, if you get something nice and low profile, you wont need to trim the guards.

They just look soo much better with 14's.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

You may beable to go to a 4WD joint, pic your desired rim and have it drilled to fit the L seires pattern or buy it "blank" and get it drilled at a machine shop - might cost more but you'll get what you want. I believe the L seires bolt pattern is 140 x 4 and the offset is 55mm... can someone please confirm this?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subusurfer

Post by subusurfer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 pm

cheers for that, just seems easier to buy a set of "rats" and put them on, rather than worrying about being defected or the structural elements. the other question is if you increase to a 14" is there anyway to keep the wheel in its current position under the hood?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:33 pm

one way is to run a lower profile tyre to keep the diametre the same... other wise its a case of making/finding a wheel carrier/strap onto roof racks or strap it in the boot somewhere...

Good luck.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Speedy rims are famously common on Subies regardless of the fact that they sit out a little further than standard. The increase in wheel track is a good thing (better stability) but, yes, this means some rubbing with 27" tyres. Go for a 185R14. It's the biggest you can run without any rubbing so there's no trimming needed, less strain on gearing and engine and pretty much the same excellent 4WDing result.

I have the speedy rims on mine and find am about to go from a 185 to the 27" but this is more to do with experiences of what I drive on and what I want out of the tyres than just lifting the car - this can be done with 185's too. I'll have to trim the guards for the 27"s though, no hiding that fact.

Enjoy shopping.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Sti_Brumby

Post by Sti_Brumby » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53 am

Go to bob jane and get new ones for 90 or so bucks. I brought 1 for my spare couple months ago. Theres only 1 company still making them

BENduro

Post by BENduro » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:11 am

subalex wrote:Speedy rims are famously common on Subies regardless of the fact that they sit out a little further than standard. The increase in wheel track is a good thing (better stability) but, yes, this means some rubbing with 27" tyres. Go for a 185R14. It's the biggest you can run without any rubbing so there's no trimming needed, less strain on gearing and engine and pretty much the same excellent 4WDing result.

I have the speedy rims on mine and find am about to go from a 185 to the 27" but this is more to do with experiences of what I drive on and what I want out of the tyres than just lifting the car - this can be done with 185's too. I'll have to trim the guards for the 27"s though, no hiding that fact.

Enjoy shopping.
What profile are you advising with 185/?/R14's...Would these be o.k on L without lift?

subusurfer

Post by subusurfer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:24 pm

just wondering what people have done in terms of hiding the spare wheel if you upgrade to rats other than a carrier on the back, could the wheel be hidden somewhere else?

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:47 pm

i only got 4 rats and i keep 2 of my old ones in the boot
takes up most of the space in the back but i can still put stuff ontop

depending on wt size tyres u get they may fit in the same spot as original
never tried but sum1 else may no

u have an Lseries so apprently theres a hole in the boot that a soare can fit into
otherwise best option may jsut be a carrier
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:59 pm

Regarding the 185R14's, they've been worn on many a 2" lifted Subie with no problems at all. I wouldn't know about unlifted though. As for the tyre spec... in a light truck spec it's simply 185R14LT which means it's an 80% profile. Otherwise you're often looking at 185/75R14s which aren't quite as big.

As for the place to put the spare. Forget the front spot really. I've got mine strapped to the cargo barrier or up on the roof basket if I want the boot space. No hassles really with the higher centre of gravity. It's still a low car.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

cooloothin

Post by cooloothin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:31 pm

I have an unlifted MY (which I presume to have slightly smaller space for wheels than the L) and I'm running 185/70 on Speedy 14's and only had to do a bit of minor BFH work.. ie no trimming. Scroll up that page for a tyre size calculator.

I also have the full-size spare under the bonnet - in a stock MY it will fit in the usual spot if you fully deflate it and are careful how you push it into place. (obviously i just carry a 12v compressor as well, but that's much less space in the car than having the spare inside the car)

As for purchase - I got lucky with 4 second hand and gave up searching and bought 2 more new.
RIP: stock '84 Sportswagon 4sp SR (sold after 13 years loyal service, to the wreckers for $100 :( )

'08 79V Forester X 5sp DR + subaxtreme bullbar, sump guard, Yoko geo ATS, kybs & 1inch kings (daily driver and go-anywhere tourer)

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”