27 X 14" Nangkang (N-830 OW) tyres of a different kind

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

subalex

27 X 14" Nangkang (N-830 OW) tyres of a different kind

Post by subalex » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:30 pm

has anyone tried these tyres on a Subie? I've found a tyre seller who can get me these.
http://www.nankangtyres.com.au/prodDetail.php?pid=19

I've seen lots of MY and L-series subes with the other Nangkang model fitted

http://www.nankangtyres.com.au/prodDetail.php?pid=23

but I'd like some advice if anyone's tried the N-830 OW's. I saw some today and they appear to spell out a total of 7 or 8ply. I've been running Dunlop Adventurers with an 8 ply rating for nearly 3 years and I'm really happy with their durability and off-road ability. I can see that the lugs on this design aren't as open as those on the 828/829's. However, I'm keen to try something else if it's good on road and on rough tracks.

Alex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:20 pm

I seem to remember one of our mob around this area was using them but I think they were in a 15" tyre. I dare say they will answer you once they see it.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:15 pm

The 830s are what Subman has on his car atm and i have had them on a past Suby. They are pretty quiet on road and seem to last well also, if you are doing more beach work then go with the 828 as thy have a natural bag about them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:09 pm

None of the tyres on that first link suited a 14" rim.
The other tyre is a copy of the old Yokohama 826 pattern.

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 am

You're right, Brumbyrunner, that the web sites don't list a 14" rim sizing for the tyres. However, there are several manufacurers that don't list the 14" size online for some weird reason. I'm still shopping at the moment. The people I CAN get those 830's in a 27X14" from deal in a few other odd imports as well (only tyres).

My other car is a new KIA Grand Carnival (never thought I'd own a KIA either) and it's tyres are a new size (everythings getting bigger these days) at 225/70/16 and I can't find any website that lists anything for it either unless it's a 4WD tyre. But, go to the shops and I can get some correct for the car.

What the???

Anyway, what's the verdict on the 830's? Anyone tried them? I'm not going on sand but more the rough dirt and clay trails of the Watagans, Blue Mountains and alike. At $120 each their pretty good value I think.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:30 pm

Fabulous news folks... NOT

I went back to the tyre shop who claimed they could get the other Nankangs and I asked the fellow to call their supplier to be sure. You should have seen his face change when his supplier told him the news that it was only the good old faithful model we know of that he could get in a 27x14" size.

So, forget about that idea.

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”