respairing/restoring sunraysias... need advice

Get the low down on your ride ...

Moderator: Junior Administrator

fleaborg

respairing/restoring sunraysias... need advice

Post by fleaborg » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:17 am

i picked up a set of 4 13" sunraysia wheels off ebay for $30 in good condition. one of them however has some surface rust. picked up a 5th from the local wreckers for $35 but is serious need of repainting. somebody previously tried this and did a horrible job.

i need advice on what to do with these wheels to get them looking pretty again.

cheers in advance,
fleaborg.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 pm

You can probably get them looking half decent with a good sand back and good spraypaint, make sure to do heaps of coats.

If you want them looking really good though, you can't go past a good quality powder coat.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Also will help if you have access to anybody with sandblasting equipment...sand papering in all the little grooves and hard to reach places in a wheel is a real pain!
If there is rust I would suggest applying a little rust convertor too.

Giving to a professional for a powercoat is definitely the best way tho.

fleaborg

Post by fleaborg » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:52 pm

thanks guys. that was my original plan but i was hoping to get out of it cheaply as i wanted to put new tires on them too. any ideas on price? i'll ring a few places on Monday but i was hoping to get an idea beforehand.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:59 pm

i re did my 14"s when i got them- sandpaper, rust converter and like 8 coats of cheap white spraypaint. did a decent job.

twc

Post by twc » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:44 pm

agree with the last message lightly used a drilled powered wire brush, sandpaper ,rust convertor and cheap white metal paint. they came up suprisingly well.

dibs

paint of

Post by dibs » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 am

hi guys i have a wet sand blaster attachment on my truck im going to try it il let you know if its quick and efficiant enough . if it is any one could use it if they want . im at landsborough.
dibs

dibs

sand blasting

Post by dibs » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 pm

ok so i tryed 1 of my wheels today took about 5 mins to do front ove rim so im guesing its guna take about 15/20 mins an about 20 lts dry course sand . Geting rite into rim and dish join .i like wet blasting as it dosnt heat and worp steel. some people dont like wet as they recon it rusts .if blow dried and treated / primed they wont. I priced geting them powder coated on the sunshine coast $30 per wheel . I am going to talk to a m8 and find out what he uses on his dredges to treat steel to see if other paint will stick to it . the stuff he uses on straight wire brushed steel dosnt rust . I just cant remember the name of it .
So if anyone wants to travel to landsborough nth of brissy to get there wheels sand blasted give me a call . i dont want money just burbone . and i havnt got time to organise couriers sorry . (as i own a buisness) just give me a bit of warning so i can organise some sand.
dibs
ps mrs dibs said and the od bottle of baileys yea rite

Return to “Brakes, Wheels and Tyres”