Srathbogie Ranges Solo Trip Report VIC

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Srathbogie Ranges Solo Trip Report VIC

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:59 am

It's about time I got around to posting about my last (and first for 2015) offroad trip, this one being my first solo trip in "unknown territory" that's longer than just a day trip.

It started out with packing at home and getting Ruby Scoo sorted for the trip - new gear such a Uniden CB given to me by a good mate Venom and some lights on the rear bar finally! Packing the gear in a different manner took a little longer than expected, plus there were expected storms in the area, this is what we saw from our backyard:

I decided after our later than expected departure time that we would head off after dark and have a bit of a solo night 4wd session - which was totally awesome. We fuelled up at Elmore Shell servo enroute to the Stratbogie Ranges. Start point was the northern end of Lightening Ridge. A few hundred metres up we aired down to about 20psi. There was one particularly challenging section of eroded granitic rock that was a decent amount of fun at that time of night before making camp at 2am - this pic is prior to making camp for the night:

The next day was a bit of exploring - not knowing what sort of tracks to expect, was hoping for some challenging stuff but the majoity of it could've been done in 2wd :(

This was an impressive boulder covered in moss on Lightening Ridge Tk:

We checked out a lookout on this track but it wasn't as spectacular as anticipated :(

Following some "old" logging tracks that were very tame (and disappointing) we came across this impressive gum over the road:

In this area we noted quite a number of trees that had been burnt out in two or more directions, creating a large number of tree like this one:

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 am

I can't remember the location off the top of my head, but there was an awesome lookout that was occupied by a bunch of motorcyclists that we weren't waiting for them to leave, so we headed to the top of the peak of this place:

An interesting seasonally closed track caught our attention - and from the DSE signs about closing the track it made sense after curiosity got the better of us - there's no way we would have passed this, or the next section that would've been impassable unless you ran a full blown tonka toy anyway:

It was quite a shock to come across the pine plantation that had been cut down for production:

And more after trying to navigate our way through the continually changing maze of the common pine plantation:

After working it out we found ourselves at camp after having a sneak peek of what was to come tomorrow - the climb up Lincoln Ridge Tk (from memory). We setup camp before a thunderstorm ran in:

Before camp:

Mid setup:

Final setup - rear bar swing arms got in the way since adding the rear lights not allowing me to remove them:

It rained heavily that night, we managed to get a fire going amongst it :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:20 am

Once we got a fire going it was time to chill out - a bit of mucking around due to boredom and his is the end result:

The next camp from us sent two 4wd's up later that night - they both got stuck so we decided to give it a miss the next morning and opted for the easy way up in the same direction since we were a one vehicle show.

Mt Bugaree was our aim - a particular rock that was vehicle accessible, here are the results:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:22 am

On our way down from the rock we stumbled across this local - not every day you get to see a little fella like this:

On our way out we stopped by some good friends then headed home. For a double over nighter it was a great trip that marked one year offroad since second gear was lost on the Dedick Tk - one that's on the list ;)

Upon arrival home this is how Ruby Scoo presented:

I'm looking forward to the next offroad adventure - hopefully a few more challenges next time. Strathbogies was still very enjoyable with plenty of tracks to check out next time!

Cheers

Bennie

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 am

I finally got around to reading this, some great pics, esp the ones from Mt Bugaree!

Awesome to see a koala in the wild...I havent seen one in its natural setting for a few decades!! :(

Yes, that creek crossing may have been a little difficult lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Camping and Travel”