4wd'n near Hotham 07MAY11

Discussion on what, where & how to get there ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

4wd'n near Hotham 07MAY11

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 9:47 pm

G'day all

Here are some pics of our trip out yesterday, starting with some brake issues I had on the way to a mates place - one of the callipers had seized onto the brake disc causing some serious vibration through the steering wheel. Here's the calliper minus the piston and half of the dirt seal that was the culprit for the crap that held the piston:

^ got some emery paper onto the piston to remove the rust/crap that was on it, put it back in then bleed the brakes, which was a bit of fun.

Made an effort to get a pic of the vehicles together - this is the best I got:

First bit of fun: I had a go but didn't have the weight for traction or a rear locker like the other two, so took the track on the right where the animal track can be seen in the pic:

This is a pic of Roger going for full articulation while manoeuvring over a boulder:

This is where we had lunch - jealous much?

^ after getting through this with a bit of fun we almost got attacked by a swarm of wasps that we stirred up after one of us drove over their nest. It wasn't much fun but good for a laugh after.

Ruby Scoo and Big Russ hanging out in the grass. Can't believe I've got a 3 inch lift and 27's and Ruby Scoo still looks short compared to that grass!

One of the gaps Roger had to negotiate:

A kind of gloomy pic I found interesting when I took it:

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 9:49 pm

One of the tracks that has been blocked for rehabilitation halfway down the spur, made it a big park/camp/turnaround. Good views:

This is at the bottom of miner's track after a 2 or 3km decent down to the dargo river:

^ Could be a good place for you to check out yarney, just make sure your low range is well lubricated - mine started to whine on the way out.

Just after crossing the dargo river:

Massive hill climb: I had two attempts, busted out "the WRX" in Ruby Scoo on the second attempt as a mate requested. Got about halfway up on the second, lost traction then bogged down and didn't have the balls in the EJ to continue up on that incline. The two toyotas crawled up, double diff locks worked a treat in the 60 and the rear auto locker in the 100 did the job too:

The 100 coming up among this beautiful part of the world:

Roger's yoda at the top of the first section:

Big Russ stopped to move some rocks. He continued up about 100m more before calling it a day as it was getting dark and we were still in the middle of no-where:

Back across the Dargo River:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Then back up Miner's track:

After this, once at the top we re-inflated, then convoyed out via some very dusty roads which I found quite challenging as they were very similar to white out conditions in the snow.

Had a great day out, Ruby Scoo went very well, the scorpions great, even richie reckoned they looked great. Got a few ideas for Ruby (again), some that I've considered before and put them on the back burner but might just re-surface again. Overall she kept up except for the massive hill climb at the end of the day.

Thanks heaps to Richie for showing us around his backyard and to Roger for coming along, I'm sure both of them had a ball too.

Cheers

Bennie

Dann

Post by Dann » Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm

looking gwd there mate :)
thats a trip I will do eventually driving over there
Cheers,
Dann
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... t=dann%27s

Looking for:
- LSD diff

IMG_0957 by Dann_Evans, on Flickr

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Yeah, hopefully we'll get a few more trips in before we're out of this area at the end of the season.

Thanks for looking!

Glad we didn't go out today, very cold and its started snow showering :rolleyes: Hopefully it will continue throughout the week, even though I don't want it as I need to do some work on Ruby Scoo :???:

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 09, 2011 12:28 am

Some great pics there Bennie. My focus keeps getting taken by your flash rims, are they alloy or steelies?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 09, 2011 8:23 am

Steelies. Very heavy!

This is what I was waiting on last night - the dargo river crossing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRUkwOZGUg

Cheers

Bennie

skrewd

Post by skrewd » Mon May 09, 2011 8:45 am

looks like a great time with awesome pics....just thought i'd let ya no im going to be around the corner from centre rd wreckers today getting my new springs, so im able to look to see if that scoop is still there for you....0 for double 8, double one too sixx 1 nine is how you can reach me if you like....

Daryl

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Great pics Bennie! I'm jealous. Actually i'm jealous of anyone who can drive atm :D The scorpions really make the L series, and piece of mind with them all tucked away neatly under the gaurds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 pm

skrewd wrote:looks like a great time with awesome pics....just thought i'd let ya no im going to be around the corner from centre rd wreckers today getting my new springs, so im able to look to see if that scoop is still there for you....0 for double 8, double one too sixx 1 nine is how you can reach me if you like....

Daryl
Thanks mate, text sent!
Venom wrote:Great pics Bennie! I'm jealous. Actually i'm jealous of anyone who can drive atm :D The scorpions really make the L series, and piece of mind with them all tucked away neatly under the gaurds.
Yeah, I can feel your pain mate even though I've not experienced it. The tucking under the guards is the reason for the scorpions. Looks are a bonus, a huge one actually, and I don't want to take them off Ruby Scoo, but I have to for snow chain reasons :(

You'll get there mate, then we'll hopefully catch up for a session offroad somewhere! For now you can live vicariously through my pics if that helps...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Camping and Travel”